Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
1994mgoblue
Accepted Solution

RAM Install / Cover Removal for Q180

I would like to upgrade the RAM on my Q180 (31102AU).  It is not claer how to remove the cover from this device and I'm unable to find any guides for this (quite new) model on the Lenovo support site.

I have found 3 screws under 3 of the 4 rubber feet and have removed them, but I'm not sure which piece should come off and I don't want to break the plastic.

Thanks.

What's DOS?
Gbrowndsl

Re: RAM Install / Cover Removal for Q180

[ Edited ]
Remove 3 screws under rubber feet with Philips screwdriver. Remove two screws holding VGA connector with flathead. Remove two silver stickers under front panel to gain access to two more Philips screws. Lid pulls off to gain access to hd and am. Just bumped mine up to 4 gigs and an ssd, quite snappy now.
Punch Card
tc321

For the RAM, do you add another 2GB or replace with a 4GB?

Fanfold Paper
1994mgoblue

There's only one DIMM slot, so you must pull the 2GB and insert a 4GB.  You can pick them up for $20 if you shop around a little.

Gbrowndsl, thanks so much for posting the solution.  I was partially there, but don't know if I would have ever thought the VGA "female" screws were also male and holding the case.  I followed your instructions, carefully popped off the grey stickers on the 2 screws under the front panel with a tiny screwdriver (they re-applied just fine).

This little unit works MUCH better with 4GB of RAM.  Being that Lenovo installed 64-bit Windows 7, I was routinely pushing 1.6-1.8GB without trying very hard.  Having 4GB installed gives it the proper amount of breathing room to perform.

Fanfold Paper
MrZarniwoop

Gbrowndsl wrote:
Remove 3 screws under rubber feet with Philips screwdriver. Remove two screws holding VGA connector with flathead. Remove two silver stickers under front panel to gain access to two more Philips screws. Lid pulls off to gain access to hd and am. Just bumped mine up to 4 gigs and an ssd, quite snappy now.

Thanks for this info!

I replaced the HDD with an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and it works great.  It would have taken me ages to figure out how to dissemble this box without your post.

I assumed an 8GB SODIMM wouldn't work, because of the Intel NM10 Express chipset, but I tried just to see what would happen.  No boot screen, so it does appear that as you'd expect, 4GB is the largest SODIMM that works.

Paper Tape
catalin

Hi!

How did you set SATA controler >  AHCI mode for your SSD?

What's DOS?
gregewing

Hi, did you notice any reduction in the system temperature by installing the SSD, does the system fan run any slower (quieter) ?

Thanks
Blue Screen Again
dsyed1

i am curious about upgrading to an SSD as well, but not sure if i should buy one only to find out if it wont work on the q180..

any one else tried installing an SSD and what they had to do??

Thanks

Fanfold Paper
1994mgoblue

I briefly replaced the HDD with an SSD - it worked fine, I think I used Norton Ghost to duplicate the drive, that cloning process was a bit fussy but I can't remember why (it was a while ago). 

The reason I rolled back to the HDD is the change must have been just enough to cause all of the Copy Protected TV shows that I recorded with Media Center to be unreadable.  It was acting as if I'd copied the media from another computer (the files were always on an external USB 3.0 drive, not the boot drive).  The whole thing was odd & frustrating, but rather than fight it, I just stuck the HDD back in and figured I'd fight that another day.