Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
pogopossum

Reinstalling Windows 7 on a new hard drive

I'd like to install a 40GB Intel SSD on my K320. Ideally I would like to reinstall WIndows 7 on the SSD and use the existing hard drive for data storage. (without deleting the rescue partition). I have not been able to figure out how to do this.  If I install the hard drive and set it as primary can I use the repair disk to reinstall Win 7 on the SSD? Or does the reinstallation have to be on a disk the same size as the original?Can it be done or do I need to purchase a new copy of WIn 7>

Cheers,

Pogopossum

Token Ring
mcordova

Re: Reinstalling Windows 7 on a new hard drive

Did you try to reinstall on SSD? I am very interested in your results if you are so kind as to publish them.

Regards,

Martin

Blue Screen Again
pogopossum

Haven't tried it yet- hoping someone online might have already done it. Doesn't have to be an SSD, just a different HD.

I may try it next weekend when I am back home.

Cheers,

Pogopossum

Blue Screen Again
pogopossum

A follow up. I used the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software and attempted to move the OS to a 40GB SSD, which was too small, the software wanted to move 57GB. (Talk about bloat!). So I bit the bullet and bought a 120GB SSD and after several tries, and having to move the \Program Files, \Program Files (x86) and \Users directories also, it now works. Very quickly.

There is only 24GB left on the SSD, but I have most of my program files on it now and documents, etc. still on  the HDD. The original configuration is still on the HDD, so if anything happens all I need to do is change the startup drive.

Suprisingly, it doesn't seem that it boots much faster, but I never really timed it. I can see how gamers would love the SSD's. Many of my programs now start in under a second!

Cheers,

Pogopossum