Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
Shoinzo

Three Lenovo B520 Problems

Hello!  While using my B520, I have encountered these problems:

-Every few days, my screen will suddenly turn blotchy and green or red.  It flashes very fast and I am unable to do anything on the computer.  In order to stop it, I have to force the computer off and restart it  (although one time it quickly reverted back to performing well).  This has only occured whilst watching a youtube video, but not nearly every time.  For the grand majority of the time videos play with no problems.

-My webcam light is always on.  From the moment I turn my computer on to the moment I turn it off.

-My speakers have lost nearly all of the volume they had after unpacking it.  I do not play music loud, nor have I changed the internal settings of the computer.  I've had two models of this computer now and they both encountered the same problem: nice, loud speakers at first that quickly became quiet after a week or two, even at full settings.

My drivers are up to date and scans tell me that my computer is clean.  If anyone has any helpful information I would be very appreciative. 

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

Re: Three Lenovo B520 Problems

Hi,

I’ve had my B520 for about three weeks now and I had the same issues you are now describing. The worst issue was the video issue which would cause the PC to go grainy, the PC would freeze and I would have to do a hard reboot to restart it. I did some research on this site regarding the video and found the best solution was updated video drivers for the B520. These were not available from the Lenovo site but from a third part site that modifies newer video files that are available to work on various PC’s and laptops.   

So here is what I did to correct the video issue. Follow this link to the video driver I upgraded to : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/28991-v28579-windows-7vista-64bit-nvidia-oem-mobile/  You will need to download two files, the driver file and the inf modified file. Once downloaded, you will need to extract the driver file to a work folder, it will create a folder in your work area called 285.79_win7x64. Next copy the inf file you downloaded in the folder display.driver which is found under the main folder 285.79_win7x64. You will get the warning that the file already exists and you need to approve coping over it when prompted. At this point create a manual restore point via windows restore in case there are problems with the drivers you are about to install and you need to rollback afterwards. After that run the setup.exe found in the root of the folder 285.79_winx64 to install the upgraded video files.  You will get several warning messaged about how these drives are from an unknown source, but go ahead and install them anyway. Once the setup completes, verify that Youtube and other video sites work correctly.  Hopefully that corrects your video issue as it did for me.  FYI – there is a newer version of the NVidia OEM Mobile drivers on this site, but they did not work correctly on the B520.

Next on the list is the volume issue.  This may not be your issue, but I discovered that the B520 seems to have two separate volume controls.  There is the windows volume slider which can be controlled via windows or via the Lenovo keyboard, then there are the volume controls on the touch screen.  The volume controls on the touch screen seem to lay on top of the other volume controls.  What I am saying is that if you are not obtaining satisfactory volume from the PC with the windows volume controls at max, try adjusting the touch screen volume control.  You will notice that a different volume scale comes up when you use these and hopefully once adjusted your problem will be corrected.

My webcam light is always on as well.  I never had a PC with a webcam before so I just thought that was normal, I guess not? I will be curious to see if someone post a comment about resolving that as well or if it’s just supposed to be that way.

When I first got this machine I was unhappy with the constant video issues and sound problem, but now my machine seems to be stable and I am pleased with the purchase for now.  Good luck in getting yours stable.

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

I omitted one thing regarding the video driver upgrade.  This upgrade is for machines that have the GT-555M NVidia graphics.  I noticed you didn't mention which card your PC had, so since you were having the same issue I was I assumed the video card was the same as mine (GT-555M).

Token Ring
goodmayes

1. Update video driver, drivers on Lenovo website are dated

2. Use volume touch buttons, these are the hardware volume, windows has the software volume.

3. Webcam is always on due to software that use webcam as a sensor, eye distance control, dynamic brightness system etc

What's DOS?
Shoinzo

Thanks Guys!

I especially can't believe I didn't realize the touch buttons worked off a different volume control.

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

Regarding the web cam light always being on, as stated by the other poster, the Lenovo Dynamic Brightness and Eye Distance applications utilize the web cam.  These applications by default load as part of windows startup.  I never used either of these apps, so I went into each and removed the run at start-up option.  Now the web cam light is no longer always on.

What's DOS?
Shoinzo

Hi again! All the suggestions have been great and have fixed all the issues I mentioned.  Unfortunately, I just realized today that the new graphics driver does not permit 3D on my lenovo.  Anyone know of a graphics driver for the GT 555m that isn't faulty AND permits 3D vision?

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

What is the model of your B520?  Only certain models are capable of 3D.  Did your model include the 3D glasses?

What's DOS?
Tulshi

Hi,

I have similar problem with my newly purchase B520. the biggest problem is, I can't see anything in my computer; its totally blank and hence, I can't download this driver as well. Is there any other alternative way so that I can see someting in bloody all in one desktop? Your suggestion is much appreciated.

Cheers.