Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
stewnew
Accepted Solution

hissing in speakers on brand new B520

Hi

Can anyone help me this is driving me nuts!! I took delivery of a new B520 today. It was all set up fine and working OK. Then I went to change the annoying screensaver, and when I clicked "apply" the machine suddenly rebooted itself. When it came back up there is an annoying hissing constantly coming from the speakers. It is still there even if I mute the speakers. I have muted the mic too, as suggested on some other forums. The drivers are all up to date.

The hissing only stops when the machine is shut down. Other audio playback appears normal, albeit wih the hissing continuing. 

Anyone heard of this problem before?

Thanks

Paper Tape
stewnew

Re: hissing in speakers on brand new B520

AND

it turns out the reason it shutdown unprompted was a prob the NVIDIA graphics card, as reported elsewhere in this forum... should I just send this thing back????

What's DOS?
rochs77

Same problem with the same machine.  I have found out how to make it go away, although it shouldn't work like this.  It seems that the B520 has too much going on with the audio, between Windows 7, SRS Premium Sound, Lenovo HD Audio Manager, and the touch capacitive controls on the monitor itself.

I've found that I only get the hissing when the touch volume (lower right corner by touching the [/] symbol, then touch the up/down speaker icons) is at 2 bars or less.  As soon as you increase it to 3 or higher, the hissing goes away.  Very strange.  I haven't done much homework on it, but I have a feeling there are just too many volume controls and there is some sort of conflict somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Paper Tape
stewnew

Hi Rich

Yes that does help - in theory! I sent the thing back. Once I had a couple of crashes due to the graphics card issue, I thought 'why the f**k should i put up with this froma brand new machine?' The solution to the graphics card problem seemed to be down to editing the .inf file or somesuch from my cursory research - and that sounded beyond y comfort zone so i have switched to a different model.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though!