Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jeth
Accepted Solution

system beeps continuously at logo screen until I hit enter

For the last coupleof days, when I start the system, I get a continuous beeping or chirping sound shortly after the Lenovo logo is displayed.   The system doesn't proceed until I hit the enter key. 

Paper Tape
jeth

Re: system beeps continuously at logo screen until I hit enter

Just a little additional information......

The system is reporting the full 6G of RAM, and this roblem only happens at a power on sequence.  Even though a restart will show a Lenovo logo screen, it does not produce the hang with the continuous beeping.

Retired Guru
Duck3

What system? You do not say!

May be a keyboard problem, make sure plugged in properly
or try a different KB.
Paper Tape
jeth

Sorry, I thought when I had entered that data when I signed up that it carried forward somehow.

It'san Idea Center family K330B , type 7747.

I noticed several comments about reseating memory boards, so I just tried that even though memory is being reported properly.  I was surprised that the boards fit so loosely though; not what I an used to. But the clips fit properly when they were reinserted, so they should be all the way in.

I also checked the keyboard and mouse connections while I had everything available, as well as the monitor.

I'm not using the Lenovo keyboard at present, but I'll go look for it and give that a try to see if it works differently. I have an Adesso split keyboard with touchpad in the middle like a laptop.  I preferred my old one that had the touchpad to the right under the cursor keys; I'm still reching over there some times.

802.11n
caveman31

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

the beeps are done in code so listen to them and match yours with what the web site says

Paper Tape
jeth

Thanks Duck3, and also caveman31,

It turns out it is some sort of keyboard problem.  At one point I thought it might be related to a KVM switch I was using while wrking with two machines and one keyboard/monitor setup.  However, removig that and plugging in the keyboard directly to the PC merely changed the error indication.  It appeared to beep once and then continue loading to the logon screen.  At that point the password field was filled with several dozen undisplayed characters. I could backspace over them and then enter my password OK.

Switching to a different keyboard solved the problem.

However, that list of beep code looks very handy.  I'll have to stash that away for future use and hope I can remember where I put it if I need it later. :smileyhappy:

Now I have to relearn how to use a mouse instead of a touchpad. :smileyfrustrated:

Retired Guru
Duck3

Glad your problem is solved!