Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
VideographyLab
Accepted Solution

3G Modems for S10-3t are a messy affair

I finally got the HUAWEI EM770W that is one of the 3G modems that Lenovo recommended for use in my S10-3t.

Lenovo tech support rep wrote it on my notepad when I gave her machine control.?! She even gave me a case number and her name.

Lenovo Tech Support recommends these 3G modems 6/14/2010

1. Ericsson F3607gw:  0BDB_1905, 0BDB_1907

2. Huawei EM770/770U/770W:  12D1_1003, 12D1_1001, 12D1_1404

3. Qualcomm GOBI:  05C6_9204,  05C6_9205

4. Huawei EM660:   12D1_1001 12D1_1404

I just got the modem in from Hong Kong. Pretty fast service I must say.

Now to installing it. Gulp!

Can anyone give guidance on this installation?

KalvinKlein

Re: 3G Modems for S10-3t are a messy affair

Hi and welcome , be sure have latest BIOS 25 installed...

download   Huawai WWAN Driver  .. remove battery remove powerplug open the bottom lid... locate the empty minipci-e slot.. insert card .. plug main and second antenna (labeled wire ends) borrow one screw from WLAN Card  to fix your card.. insert SIMCARD in SIM-Card-Reader ... close lid ...

plug in battery and powerplug... press start button in windows click on previously downloaded driver unzip and go in extracted folder click setup to install the driver... press Fn-F5 menu to switch 3G on ...

Use a mobile connect manager to connect...

sincerely KalvinKlein

VideographyLab

Thanks KalvinKlein! Your advice is very clear. I have a deal with Fry's Electronics to install the modem because that is where I initially bought the S10-3t. I am sure they will appreciate having at least one knowledgable lead as they install this 3G modem, which as far as I understand is one of the fastest units on the Lenovo rcommended list.

Mahaloha,

Bob Kiger - Videography Lab - Oceanside, CA, USA

Serial Port
VideographyLab

Well it was a day full of Lenovo 3G installation for me. I took my Lenovo S10-3t and the HUAWEI EM770W to Fry's and took them up on their offer to install it for me. The original price quote was $35 for the installation, but that would have meant that I left it with them over the fourth of July weekend and I was tired of waiting. It's been over 3 months since I first started this quest to make this netbook be a real netbook with full 3G capability.

I  brought all of KalvinKleins instructions loaded on my brower including the links for BIOS 25 and up to date HUAWEI drivers. In order to be present while they attempted the installation, I had to pay $100. Fry's service department jumped right on the issue with their most knowledgable Lenovo notebook guy. He worked from 16:00 hour to about 19:00 hours and than had to get off the clock. The "project" was picked up by the next tech, who was only partially involved because he also had to handle counter customers. Finally at 19:40 hours he said it was done but that there were screens that only I could fill in which asked for ATT activation code that I had no knowledge about.

So I packed up and drove to ATT store nearby and got in just as they were getting ready to close at 20:00 hours. They were kind enough to get me connected by phone to ATT laptop support. The agent was a delightful lady name "Princess" who was working out of Louisiana. She helped procure the needed numbers and we also uninstalled the new drivers and re-installed. Then after a long install it was done. We restarted the computer and it connected to ATT network. I was thrilled for about a minute.

She asked me to launch  a brower. I tried Firefox, Internet Explorer and even Windows Live but none would connect to the test. We opened ipconfig and tried every command in her book. Nothing would go through. Did many other steps that I cannot recall with resetting stacks and so forth. Nothing would allow actual connection even though ATT Communications showed that we were connected. The staff was turning lights out and vacuuming the carpet around me as we persisted but Princess finally decided that it would be best for ATT to call me back at home tomorrow morning. She said they would contact Lenovo directly and see if they had an application specifically designed for the HUAWEI card.

Fair enough. Tomorrow at 10:00 hours we begin the next phase. If anyone knows of either a HUAWEI or Lenovo equivalent of ATT Communication Mangager. Sort of like "Watcher" is for Sierra Wireless modems, than please rife the details here so we have all the tools needed tomorrow.

So close yet so far away.

Bob

Serial Port
VideographyLab

It's the 4th of July and I should be going down to the beach, but I'd rather make sure that WE are clear on the status of my Lenovo Ideapad as of today. It now has BIOS 25 installed, HUAWEI EM770W 3g modem installed, and the drivers for the modem installed. Fry's Customer Service department, where this "netbook" was purchased did the installation.The "finished" installation requested information that could only be obtained through AT&T network.

Contacted AT&T support by land line from inside an AT&T store and their "Laptop Support" department recommended re-installing the HUAWEI EM770W drivers. After re-installing we checked device manager and the 3G modem showed up as correctly installed. Started AT&T Communication Manager and it allowed connection of this Ideapad to AT&T network in 3G with 3-4 bars. All seemed fine but when we opened browsers they did not access the internet.

On July 3, 2010 got a call from AT&T support who connected me to Lenovo Technical Support. In order to work with all the tools at our disposal I had to move to a location where I had a land line phone, a cellular phone, the Ideapad with AT&T SIM installed and broadband ethernet connection. I moved to a friendly neighbor's house who would allow the hookup.

Lenovo Technical Support called me via my cellphone and we went through preliminary checks. The Ideapad was showing connection to AT&T 3G network with 4 bars but again no browsers would connect to the network. Plugged Lenovo into the broadband ethernet connection and the browsers would then connect to the network and operated normally. Lenovo Technical Support than asked for direct control of my machine while I watched and had voice communication via cell phone. They tweaked and tested and could NOT come up with why the 3G connection was not working. By day's end I was promised an elevation of the Case [I paid for this support!] and that would come after the 4th of July. Please understand that for the Lenovo Tech support center in the Philiippines it is already July 5th as I am writing and they have not called yet. So I will assume [Gulp!] that they are referring to July 5th in North America.

Netbooks Philippines has some of the most advanced "tweakers" or "hackers" for netbooks in the world. I suspect that this is due to their proximity to the Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers of the components that make almost all netbooks. In any event they are doing some of the most advanced work in getting 3G to work with netbooks.

In several of their articles on the subject they refer to "hacking" the VID/PID of the BIOS. I would ask Lenovo Support to carefully check into some of the solutions they discuss as well as whitelisting by cellular carriers and/or Lenovo itself.

At Videography Lab we draw the line at "hacking" because it runs outside the products warranty. So we have been very careful to allow only the responsible commercial entities listed below in order of appearance to work on the machine:

Fry's Electronics, Lenovo, AT&T, HUAWEI should get their systems together to make this Ideapad S10-3t Netbook / Tablet connect to the web with the internal 3G modem.

With such a great group of partners what could go wrong?

Token Ring
tulisan

You don't need to "hack" your BIOS since you are already using an approved Lenovo modem (Huawei). As for your connection manager not connecting to AT&T, have you tried looking in the Profile settings and see if the APN, username and password are set correctly? Also, is your sim card set for data connection?

Here in the Philippines, all sim cards are configured to connect to internet. It's just a matter of setting the proper Profiles.

Serial Port
VideographyLab

I just called Lenovo Technical support and had an extended conversation with Jessie ______ who would not provide his last name but did say he was working in the Philippines and was at a high level of support. I recorded the entire conversation on video to keep the record straight. He said and I paraphrase:

"Lenovo does not know how to enable the S10-3t for the HUAWEI EM770W 3G modem at this time." He questioned whether the Microsoft Windows Starter edition could do the job and recommended updating to Windows Home Premium. I wonder why they would install Windows 7 starter if it would not work.

He reviewed the new AT&T "Global Research Client" and was quite impressed but did not have any experience with this latest communications management tool. It appears that nobody from the commercial side of this daisy chain of corporate interests: Lenovo. the manufacturer of the S10-3t - Fry's Electronics, the seller of the computer, installer of additional memory and installer of the 3G card - eBay, the middleman who advertises and sells the variety of Lenovo recommended 3G cards from Hong Kong Sellers - AT&T, the 3G network that we use and who provided the software for "connectivity" - HUAWEI, who manufactures the EM770W and other "compatible" 3G cards - and Microsoft, who creates the Windows 7 in all it's different levels of capability are going to step up and make the Lenovo S10-3t work as a NETBOOK!

Jessie agreed to refund my extended service charge for their support of their product.

So does ANYONE have suggestions on how we should proceed?

Thank you if your out there and can help.

Bob Kiger - Videography Lab - Oceanside, CA, USA

Token Ring
tulisan

[ Edited ]

Hello Bob. I understand your frustrations. However, I can attest to what Jessie said based on the fact that no 3G modem is available in the marker here in the Philippines, Lenovo approved or otherwise. Lenovo doesn't sell them either. Heck, even the 8-cell battery isn't available here. I got my modems somewhere else. I personally installed about 4 huawei EM770W modems already and I'm telling you that it's the easiest. You can even do it yourself.  BTW, I was the one who did the review of S10-3T over a Netbooks Philippines. :smileyhappy: The Sierra Wireless modems are a bit of a pain but still doable except for the MC8781 :smileysad:

Just install the Huawei modem, boot your 3T and install the drivers. It's been available at the lenovo website though not at the s10-3t page. Click here. Notice the filesize (12.5MB) coz it includes the connection manager too. No need to use the AT&T connection manager since the Huawei drivers also installs its own connection manager. No need to upgrade to Home Premium too.

If you need further help, just PM me. No need to pay for any support too LOL

Serial Port
VideographyLab

I wrote you back by IM but received no reply. This morning I achieved connectivity on a US carrier with the S10-3t and HUAWEI EM770W using only their Mobile Partner software. It was not AT&T!

Which prompts me to tell a story of my trip to the Philippines. I came to do a documentary video and had a Samsung Memoir that was unlocked. I also brought a Gateway laptop connected via Sierra Wireless Lightning [also unlocked].

Went to the Asia Mall and got the cellphone connected by simply buying a Smart Buddy SIM and bingo . . . I was connected. The Smart Bro services would not sell me a SIM and insisted that I use their Smart Bro USB dongle on the notebook.

Service outside the major cities in Luzon was spotty to non existent. When I could get a good signal I was able to use the cell phone for calls and text. The computer was much more problematic. I rarely could get a download of gmail outside of Manila. For all practical purposes Smart Buddy was useless.

When I flew back to Hawaii I reversed the process and put my original cellphone SIM in the phone and I was connected and all was well. Not so with the computer. When I put the Sierra Lightning back into the USB it would not connect. So I took it to the carriers store and they replaced the SIM with a new one and then it connected.

So as I now see it there are five S10-3ts that have been connected to 3G carriers . . . 4 by you and one by me. It would be a good thing for us to communicate.

Mahaloha,

Bob Kiger - Videography Lab - Oceanside, CA

Token Ring
tulisan

[ Edited ]

Glad you finally got to make your Huawei work :smileyhappy:. When was your trip here? Coz now, you can just buy any SIM and you'd be connected to the internet, whether it's SmartBuddy or SmarBro. No need to buy the dongle if you already have the 3g modem in your notebook, provided that it's unlocked.

However, it's still true that signal outside of Manila is still a bit problematic, since it's still EDGE. But in most big cities, even outside of Manila i.e. North or South, all 3 Carriers here are already 3G capable. You just need to tweak your frequency settings in the Connection manager to use 3G only since by default, 3G signal downshifts to EDGE when your signal has only two-three bars. If set to 3G only, it will stay on 3G regardless of your signal strength. The downside though is that when the area still has no 3G signal, you won't be able to see the Carrier and won't be able to connect. That's the only time you switch your frequecy settings to 3G preferred.

As for the five s10-3ts you mentioned that have been connected to 3G carriers, I would have to update you on that since I was only talking of Huawei modems. All in all, I've installed also more than two dozens MC8775 on 3ts and so far no one has come back yet to complain :smileyvery-happy: