Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
VideographyLab

Re: 3G Modems for S10-3t are a messy affair

I was in the Philippines from December 12, 2009 until January 3, 2010. It sounds like you have a thriving business doing installs there. I needed the S10-3t to demonstrate our PIC-RGB application in the AT&T competition for "Best Mobile Application" Open Category in April, 2010. The problems I had with connectivity drew me off my game in making the presentation . . . and we didn't win :smileyhappy:

But now Lenny is ready to show off the app with some real speed. Pity that the carrier isn't AT&T.

Token Ring
tulisan

nah, it's just a hobby. A sideline :smileyhappy:

I read you finally able to connect to AT&T using the Huawei connection manager (Mobile Partner) instead of AT&T's own connection manager? I would guess it's specific to a certain 3g modems only.

Serial Port
VideographyLab

I am able to connect to a US 3G carrier but NOT AT&T !!!

At least we know the Lenovo works.

Could AT&T be blocking the HUAWEI [and other] modems? They do sell other netbooks and tablets directly that have 3G data connect. Like iPads! 

Token Ring
tulisan

how exactly were you not able to connect? Does Huawei see the AT&T, meaning it has signal bars? If so, by not being able to connect, do you mean when you click the connect button? Maybe it was only a wrong setting in APN. If I remember correctly, AT&T has three APNs.They use "broadband" on their iPad plan. They also use wap.cingular.com and isp.cingular.com I think.

Serial Port
VideographyLab

[ Edited ]

During the weeks of trying AT&T connect we tried isp.cingular.com and wap.cingular.com but not the "broadband" because we are not an iPad with all the privileges and expenses that involves. The path to connection was as follows.

The HUAWEI Mobile Partner was set up with it's default ATT profile. It looked out and saw ATT HSDPA 3G with 5 bars. The Upload and Download arrow meters showed that there was a small amount of data moving in both directions BUT when we opened Firefox and IE browsers, there was no connectivity.

When we went to T-Mobile store, the other US GSM carrier, and did the same routine, the browsers opened and we were connected.

So what is the difference between ATT  3G and T-Mobile 3G?

Token Ring
tulisan

[ Edited ]

Ahh. It looks like it's just about the APN settings or the AT&T sim you are using is not activated for data. I heard that AT&T is a bit of a pain to setup.

I also remember one of our carriers here, Sun Cellular, where you still need to call them to activate the data part on the prepaid sim. Voice and Text are enabled by default.

EDIT: I did some checking and a lot of people are confused also as to what APN settings to use with AT&T. I've seen the link below but I'm not sure if it does work unless I try it personally.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091124190550AA3i8ch

Serial Port
VideographyLab

[ Edited ]

Hi Tulisan--

My AT&T account is for data only . . . unlimited data! It is a matter of great concern to Videography Lab to do no harm to this long held status, because any changes could allow AT&T to "convert" our plan to a monthly cap with an added charge for every amount of data passed. So we are being very careful not to provide AT&T with an excuse to change our plan.

You wrote: "

"EDIT: I did some checking and a lot of people are confused also as to what APN settings to use with AT&T. I've seen the link below but I'm not sure if it does work unless I try it personally"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200911 24190550AA3i8ch

When I visited your link  it seems reasonable. I would have to make the attempt in an AT&T store with a sympathetic tech watching. If the plan fails and the AT&T SIM gets blocked he would, once again, have to out on a limb and give me a new SIM.

So more information is needed. When we attempt the AT&T hookup, should we be trying it through HUAWEI's "Mobile Partner" or AT&T's new "Global Network Client"? Our Lenovo S10-3t has both installed. Right now we can connect to AT&T data through our Junxion Box wifi using the Global Network Client but not the Mobile Partner. We can connect to T-Mobile easily with Mobile Partner but haven't found a way to connect to our AT&T wifi hotspot with Mobile Partner???

Adding to the messy business of connection, T-Mobile data is currently having difficulties achieving 3G status so when we connect to T-Mobile it is currently at EDGE speed which is much slower than AT&Ts 3G speed.

Token Ring
tulisan

Try looking inside AT&T's Global Network Client and see if you can find out the settings i.e. APN, username, password, CHAP or PAP connection, proxy connection if there is, and the dial number. I'm pretty sure that it's just the settings which if inputted properly in the Mobile partner, will make it connect to AT&T.

I don't think using another connection manager will harm your SIM, much more giving them excuse to change your plan. If I would guess, Global Network Client is nothing but a rebranded Mobile Partner software. The worst that can happen is you just won't be able to connect to their network.

What's DOS?
leo72777

VideographyLab,

I was having the same problem, and here is how I solved it.

1) Connect using Mobile Partner

2) at Option -> General, change the "Connection Type" to RAS(modem)

3) at profile management, leave APN as dynamic, and change the authentication as below:

Access number: *99***1#

User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

Password: CINGULAR1

with that, I am able to connect to the web finally. I was having problem just like you did, that the modem says I'm connected, but no internet. Then I read on another site that you can actually connect it as a dial-up using the 3g modem, which it actually worked. So I figured that's the problem, it needs to be treated as a modem.

Try it out with you AT&T card, hope it works!

Serial Port
VideographyLab

Thanks Leo--

Along our journey to connect to AT&T we did the configuration you described and got a successful dial up connection. But we're not looking for dial up speed. We're looking for 3G in all it's glory. I believe that eventually the right combination will come through this thread and we'll see Lenovo S10-3t with 3G and more!