Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
VideographyLab

AT&T SIM in IdeaPad S10-3t

Has anybody been able to take an AT&T SIM with a data only plan [that's what we've got] and configure it to run directly in the IdeaPad SIM slot?

Token Ring
tulisan

Re: AT&T SIM in IdeaPad S10-3t

you need to have an internal 3g modem installed first  before the sim slot will work.

Fanfold Paper
beergoggles

I have been using my data only 3G ATT sim card in my S10 without any problems. The S10 came with the ericsson f3507g WWAN card. I simply put in my sim, ran the ericsson wireless manager software and on my first attempt the program found the network and connected on its own without any configuring. The S10-3T bios is locked for certain wwan modems so beware. If youre capable, there are ways around it by manipulating the bios whitelist. For me, using the wwan card has made a huge difference. I'm downloading at over twice the speed now compared to when I was tethering.

Serial Port
VideographyLab

Adding 3G to our Ideapad S10-3t

Videography Lab bought the Lenovo S10-3t netbook tablet because it was so light and full featured . . . Including a SIM card slot and a write-up in the manual about how to connect to your carrier. This is pretty neat stuff except Lenovo NEGLECTED TO PUT A 3G MODEM in the product.!

I learned this yesterday in a marathon three way conversation between AT&T support and Lenovo support. Lenovo's position seemed to be that I would not be able to install such a modem in the S10-3t. If that is true than the very selling of such a product with SIM slot is like selling a car with a wheel that is not attached to the differential. It simply will not roll as it appears to the buyer to be designed to do.

The AT&T tech, who will remain anonymous for the moment, suggested that some Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t owners were installing their own 3G modems successfully into the devices and getting connectivity. Here is the article that he sent me on the subject. http://www.netbooks.ph/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2220

The IdeaPad is ideal in all respects except this omission of 3G modem. Will such a "hacking" addition work? And what do other users think about buying a sweet little netbook/tablet that won't connect directly to the net?

The idea of putting a USB modem outside the book is a non-starter for us. Netbooks are designed to be self contained. So what are we to do?

Serial Port
VideographyLab

beergoggles wrote:

I have been using my data only 3G ATT sim card in my S10 without any problems. The S10 came with the ericsson f3507g WWAN card. I simply put in my sim, ran the ericsson wireless manager software and on my first attempt the program found the network and connected on its own without any configuring. The S10-3T bios is locked for certain wwan modems so beware. If youre capable, there are ways around it by manipulating the bios whitelist. For me, using the wwan card has made a huge difference. I'm downloading at over twice the speed now compared to when I was tethering.

So is it reasonable that, if we purchase the Ericsson f3507g WWAN card and install Ericsson wireless manager software, we could connect to AT&T 3G without messing with S10-3t BIOS?

Token Ring
tulisan

just make sure that the F3507g modem that you will use is the newest one because for whatever reason, the modem Lenovo used on S10 and S10-2 series cannot be used on S10-3T because it's not included in the whitelist. Plain and simple marketing tactic if you ask me.

Token Ring
tulisan

Re: Adding 3G to our Ideapad S10-3t

[ Edited ]

Will such a "hacking" addition work?

It does work. The hacking is done primarily to bypass the whitelist in the BIOS. without the stupid whitelist, almost all mini pci-e based 3G WWAN modem will work in the mini pci-e slot. Lenovo's position regarding not be able to install a modem in the S10-3t is definite wrong.

Fanfold Paper
rinque85

i have a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3 - 064732U, any ideas of how to make the 3g card work without subscribing to AT&T for a netbook plan and just use my data plan instead?  i do not even see a driver of in in device manager. i did call Lenovo support and they said mine does have a 3g card and i have to call at&t to get software from them. so how would i "hack" it to make it work without going through at&t?

Token Ring
tulisan

No need to hack. Since your 3g card is probably locked to AT&T, just change it. There are so many unlocked Sierra Wireless MC8775 on eBay you can buy.  S10-3 doesn't have a BIOS whitelist so it will definitely work. I can email you the drivers and the connection manager app if you can't find one.

Fanfold Paper
rinque85

[ Edited ]

I ordered the MC8775 last night. I can't find drivers or software for is on the sierra website. It says to contact ur local rep. I would greatly appreciate if you email me the drivers and the connection manager.  As for the card it says its unlocked, so I should be able to use it for at&t and if they keep messing up my bill soon it will be T-Mobile, but their coverage here stinks.