Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
watchthisspace
Accepted Solution

Back up on S10E

I was wondering since the S10E doesn't have the OKR, how does one back up or image the drive? Should I just get a program like Norton ghost and image it that way?

Thanks in advanced!

KalvinKlein

Re: Back up on S10E

[ Edited ]

I ve done this with Acronis True Image , before the first time i start the new S10e on  ...

the whole backup (whole harddrive preload & Factory restore  which is allmost empty) thing fits with trueimage on an 8GB Memorystick..

.So i allways have the factory delivered system on a save stick... :smileyhappy:

Then i used to re- partioning & re-format the harddrive with no doubt :smileyhappy:

regards KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 03-27-2009 06:26 PM
snowatom

Re: Back up on S10E

Hi Kalvin Klein

I also have a S10e, and the first thing i did was to ghost my hardrive to an image. Then I also thought i was in the clear.
I have not done anything to my partitions yet, as I have read many places on the net, that ghosting/imaging this Lenovo IdeaPad is not that easy as it would seem. Some say that if the harddrive you ghost back it to, is of different sizes, then the F11 function will no longer work.

If you have done what you say you have, and then tried if your image works,  I would use Acronis also just in case, so if it is Ghost that does not work, I also have an Acronis image. Is there any secret trick I must know, to make it work ? - I realy want to make sure, as if I delete my partitions to try other operating system I would hate putting my self in a point of no return situation. 

Can't wait to here from you, or other people who have tried loading their image back to their Lenovo Ideapad S10e.

The reason for this big question/issue, is that I am thinking about changing my harddisk to a SSD, but I would hate to loose my recovery F11 function.

This is just one of the places I read about it, So I know it can be done, but on other forums, people have lots of problems making their image work. The F11 function simply does not work, after imaging the Lenovo back.

Cloning the hard drive: It's not an easy job to clone the Lenovo hard drive without loosing the F11 function key to restore the factory system image. S10e does not use OneKey Rescue feature applied to S10. Even though you successfully cloned the hidden system partition, F11 might not be working to restore it. You'd better make sure all the features are intact before buying one. This machine professionally upgraded by me DOES restore the system image by hitting F11 key when you boot it up.

taken from: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S10e-%3E-S10-7200RPM-320G-1.5G-Netbook-NEW_W0QQitemZ270368947652Q...

KalvinKlein

Back up on S10E ...

[ Edited ]
Hi snowatom,

I use a 8 GB usb drivestick... I format it with the HP USB Storageformatter to made it shure bootable, with Trueimage i made an boot rescue medium save on stick.. so that i get a bootable Trueimage (take 40MB)  .... now iam booting the stick on s10/e ...make a backup of the whole harddrive includes the mbr (master boot record)  (its about 16 GB so at default trueimage compressed it to 7,4 GB).....thats it.... no mystery.

In return you can restore it on same size Harddrive easily... or proportional !! ... in size ... i check this with 80GB 160GB 250GB & 320GB ...all is after fresh broken factory seal of your lenovo, F11 works too no doubt about .... 

hope it helps you

regards KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 04-06-2009 10:11 PM
snowatom

Re: Back up on S10E ...

Hi Kalvin Klein

It got me a little more informed. But just to see if I got it right. Then I won't bother you any more, maybe ;o)

I have a USB CD-drive, so I can just use that to boot from. Then all I have to do with Acronis True Image is make a backup/image of the whole harddrive to another USB-disk, and then I can always use that image to get back to where I am now, and with a working hidden recovery partition (Function F11) ? 

If it is so simple, why all the fuzz about it not working all around the internet ?

P.S. Why Acronis True Image and not Ghost ?

snowatom

KalvinKlein

Hi, again :smileyhappy: you didnt bother me...

First,

i used ghost for years , then i use TI for the first time and iam never use ghost...it works faster and leave me never alone in the dark :smileyhappy:

Many possible ways are possible...  but on my way you need only the small 8GB flashdrive contains the bootable TI and the image... 

the S10.tib itself (T rue I mage B ackupfile) can be burned on doublesided DVD or on another HDD...but iam thinking that the most save place is on an flashdrive or SDHC once written and approved....

regards KalvinKlein

snowatom

[ Edited ]

And one last time :smileyvery-happy:

I read about Acronis True Image Home 2009, and I bought it. Now I am uncertain about one last thing. 

When I choose to create image, I can use the checkbox "sector-by-sector" explained by Acronis here:

What is a sector-by-sector backup (raw image)?

The sector-by-sector backup allows you to create an image of all sectors of the selected partition. This image will contain not only sectors with data but also sectors that are free. As a result, this image will be equal in size to the disk being imaged, as there will be no data compression. This method is useful if a partition being backed up is not supported by Acronis® True Image Home 2009 or is corrupted. In this case, all sectors of this partition are included in this image and will be restored.

If I choose sector-by-sector on my Lenovo harrdrive, the image will be 147GB total. 

But I could choose sector-by-sector for the recovery partition, and just save that, and forget about the primary partition. 

As I undestand, if I have the recovery partition, it should be able to recreate my primary partition again. 

What is your advise on this ?

Should I:

Make an image of the recovery partition alone using sector-by-sector ?

Make an image of the whole harddrive using sector-by-sector, knowing it will take a lot more space ?

Make an image of the whole harddrive NOT using sector-by-sector, and keep my fingers crossed hoping that the recovery partition being backed up is supported by Acronis. ? <-unless you have done this with success, and made a recover, then I will know for sure  that the recovery partition is supported :smileywink:

Regards

snowatom

Message Edited by snowatom on 04-07-2009 02:29 PM
KalvinKlein

Hi,

it not nesassary.. this is only for HTFS  like osx usefull...

normal backup and leave anything standard  (default) .... the resulting size is 7,4 GB not more....

the steps in short...

what will you do

its so simple tick backup

which drive ...

tick the whole harddrive includes all partitions ...choose

where it place to be.... choose

the flashdrive 

and go ...ok.go....and so on

i have only the former version trueimage 11 the menu structure is different but the steps are the same...

here is the automated translation

http://translate.google.de/translate?prev=hp&hl=de&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.eeepcnews.de%2Fviewtopi...

If you have further questions send me a pin...

regards KalvinKlein

hpholm

Hi KalvinKlein,

Thanks for your advice. What I really want to know is if restore of the complete disk works on the S10e, using Acronis TrueImage? (Backup of the whole disk, and restore of C:\ works fine)

One way to test is to let a Ubuntu or Windows install disk wipe the hard drive, including the hidden partition in the Host Protected Area and the Master Boot Record, format the hard drive, and then restore the S10e disk with partitions + MBR from the complete Acronis TrueImage Backup.

I'm a chicken and will probably go and buy another hard drive for experiments! But it would be nice to know if someone has the guts to through a bare-metal restore using Acronis - and then confirm if it works or not.

--

Hans

KalvinKlein

Hi hpholm, trust me.. 

For introductory statements about this article and many additional tips and tons of hints, I recommend to 

ive written many articles all about S10e ... 

automated translation...
http://translate.google.de/translate?prev=hp&hl=de&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.eeepcnews.de%2Fviewforu...

in native language german:

http://forum.eeepcnews.de/viewforum.php?f=48

regards

Hilsen til mine nordlige naboer Danmark
that means
greetings to my northern neighbors denmark
 and of course to all
KalvinKlein