Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
jakfish
Accepted Solution

Best Method for Fresh Install of Windows (S10-3t)?

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

If the gods of ebay are good, I should be receiving a S10-3t with 2gb RAM/Windows Home Premium.  I'm familiar with netbooks, but I have a question about reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows.  My reading tells me that the One-Key Recovery can create "factory default" restore disks--is that bloat-free, meaning Windows Home Premium 32-bit only, without veriface, natural touch, etc?

If not, would this work for a clean install:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-prof...

and then use my reg code on the bottom of the machine?

From my thread-reading, it appears that these machines can run faster with less, that QuickStart, screen rotation, and power management and a couple of others are all that is needed.

At any rate, I'd like to have the choice of installed apps.  Am I on the right track?  One-Key recovery vs. downloaded Win7-32bit ISO/machine's reg code?

Thanks for any pointers,

Jake

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 351
Solutions: 235

Re: Best Method for Fresh Install of Windows (S10-3t)?

Hi jakfish and welcome to the community,

One key recovery will put all the preloaded applications back on the machine.  One good thing about the preload is that all the devices will be set up automatically.  You don't have to hunt around for drivers.

A clean install will be leaner and faster, but you'll have to install drivers.

If I get a machine with a preload on it, I copy the drivers folder onto a flash drive and then do the clean install.  Then I install the drivers from the flash drive.  That works pretty well.  

You can download a windows 7 image and use your key to activate.  You'll probably have to use phone activation, or you can use an activation backup program to save your activation and run it when Windows installs, such as this.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
jakfish

Hi, Dave,

Many thanks for your welcome and for very helpful solutions.  Still using XP Pro or Linux on my machines, I hadn't known of Advanced Tokens Manager, and it sounds as if it will really assist with a fresh install of W7 Home Premium 32-bit on the S10-3t.  When the machine arrives, it'll be the first program I use.

And thank you for clearing up the answer about using a generic image; I wasn't quite sure if a downloaded ISO would work.

Staying on topic about a fresh install, can I ask what S10-3t-specific drivers and programs you use?  I realize the collection would be different for every user, but I was wondering if there was a "core" group--I found one thread that averred only Power Management, Simpletap, Quickstart, and screen rotation.

Again, thank you for weighing in so quickly,

Jake

topmahof

Full disclosure,

I don't have an S10-3t, although like you, I've been looking at them on ebay.

When you get it, check the OS key on the bottom.  If it's something other than W7 Home Premium, then W7 was probably already installed fresh.  If the key says W7 Home Premium, then it's probably the preload.  I'm not sure what the S10 came with.

Energy Management has the Hotkeys utility included in it, so I would install that.

Simple tap is another good one. 

When you get it post back and say what the key says.  We'll go from there.

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
jakfish

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting back.  The seller seemed pretty knowledgeable about his S10-3t, enough to yank the hd and put in a 120gb ssd, and he says that W7 Home Premium was stock.  But as we all know, until you open the package, the only thing truly real on ebay is your money :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I went ahead and downloaded and burned a generic ISO of Home Premium from a link cited from the mydigitallife site.  I'll take your advice and make a dat of my reg info and even burn some DVDs from the One-Key Recovery before I wipe the C:

Can I assume that even after a wipe and generic install, the hidden partition that contains the factory-default OS still remains, that those files are on the equivalent of a D: ?

Good luck with your own search (I did find that ebay had the best prices for a used S10-3t, as opposed to Amazon, and other worldwide sites),

Jake

topmahof

Hi Jake,

Here's a thread where we were experimenting with resizing partitions and we were trying to see what was on those other partitions.

The preload has 4 partitions.  The small one that Windows 7 uses at the beginning of the partition table, C:, D:, and a hidden partion.  D:, contains not only the drivers folder but hidden files as well.  Recovery uses D: and the hidden partition to do a restore.

If you resize any of the partitions, then OKR won't work.  Using the restore discs will, though.  It will wipe the drive and repartition it the way it was.  If you only wipe C: and don't change the size of any of the partitions, then OKR should still work.

It would be interesting to know whether you would be able to use the drivers folder on D: to reinstall your drivers once you install your clean OS on C:.

Dave

Punch Card
jakfish

What a great thread you point me to.  I'm going to assume those partitions you folks discovered represent a layout for the S10-3t as well, though my particular machine may be complicated by the fact that the seller installed an ssd drive.

He may have imaged and copied over all the partitions with Acronis or some such, and he has already emailed about OKR, saying that partition is in existence.

About the driver folder: I've diligently downloaded all Win7/XP drivers for the S10-3t from lenovo (a day-and-a-half nightmare with timeouts, incomplete files, having to download one-by-one, and glacial speeds, I don't know what was going on).  Except for OKR, the drivers on Lenovo appear circa 2010, even 2009.  It'll be interesting to match their dates against those drivers on the machine.  With drivers that old, they may well be the same on the site/machine.

Glancing through the S10 threads, I do feel as if I've gotten to this party rather late.  On the other hand, all the cool people are still here :smileyhappy:

I had originally purchased an Asus EEE T91MT, an 8.9" netvertible, but despite the seller's tracking #/delivery confirmation/insurance, it disappeared on Jan 8 in the midst of its journey.  When abroad, I use the APO, and that's where it seems to have been misplaced.

But the S10-3t caught my eye and we have friends visiting Athens soon, so the seller was willing to ship to Pennsylvania and they'll hand-carry from there.  In the meantime, it'll be interesting to see how paypal deals w/ my open case: the seller shipped properly, nonetheless the package didn't arrive.

I really am looking forward to the Lenovo.  I've looked at Linux installations, but initial reading shows that all the flavors still require serious workarounds for touch/screen rotation.

Jake

topmahof

The partition layout should be about the same.

The nice thing about Lenovos is that there are people all over willing to experiment.

Here's another place you might want to check out.  Somebody over there made an ICS build for my old x41tablet.  ICS will give my old tablet a new lease on life.  It still has a few bugs, but it's a very fast OS.

Sorry to hear about your Asus.  I've had things like that happen to me.  

Dave

Punch Card
jakfish

Thanks for that link, too.  I admire Android, but so far from afar, since the word processing is confined to Docs-to-go and QuickOffice.  But I know that softmaker (a German office suite creator) already has an Android beta of their apps.

Softmaker on Android would change things considerably for me, though I'm not certain everybody else wants as much word processing power.  Softmaker first came for Windows and Windows CE, but now have linux platforms, and I run it on a Windows Mobile 6.53 phone.  It's extraordinary stuff, but perhaps overkill for other users.

Jake

topmahof

I checked out that Softmaker site and downloaded the trial version.   I'm going to play with it.  So far, I like it.

I like the idea that it runs from a flash drive on any pc.  That's pretty handy.

Dave