Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
chewbaka

Broadcom Crystal HD - BCM970012 any success with S10-3t ???

Hi, this is my first Post - but I have been lurking the board since I bought my S10-3t a month ago.

This is my second tablet, the first being an Acer C110, circa several years ago.

I am excited by the potential for this new tablet as it certainly beats my old companion in all features and capabilities - most of all in battery life (8 cell). However, the potential comes at a price and effort.

I have done nearly everything I intend to do to improve the basic device: 2 GB memory, 500 GB hard drive, fresh install of Windows 7 Pro without all the Lenovo bloatware... and the tablet performs quite well. Even the Microsoft Tablet Pack works pretty well.

[Thanks to Jesse B. Andersen and his http://www.lenovos103t.com/ - GOOD WORK]

However, one of my principal uses of will be playing video - and this is where I find it is still lacking. In particular, I am trying to play my collection of HD mkv files. My player of choice is Zoom Player and I have installed the best and most efficient codecs. Even with the Haali splitter and Cyberlink codecs installed, and the processor set to maximum performance, the playback is choppy with occasional audio sync issues.

So I come to my next performance hurdle. I have purchased a UCI BCM970012 that I have attempted to run from the second PCI slot. As expected, the BIOS refuses to boot the unapproved card.

SO, my question to the community is has anyone had success running this card in the S10-3t ??

I see where people have modified the BIOS whitelist for 3G cards, but I have not found anything specific for the Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970012. Even if I were to attempt the BIOS hack (which I admit that I do not completely understand) I have not been able to find the PID/VID for this card. I am not sure if I need more than that to mod the BIOS whitelist.

(Of course, it would help greatly is Lenovo would alter the BIOS to allow the card. I think it would benefit Lenovo competitively since other OEMs are allowing video acceleration. I understand their desire to control 3G devices.)

CAN anyone help me? I need a solution, link, or direction.

Token Ring
Steep

Re: Broadcom Crystal HD - BCM970012 any success with S10-3t ???

Are you sure it's a bios problem and not that the socket is the wrong type? As I understand it a mini pci socket can be either pci or usb, the broadcom HD card needs it to be pci.  If you have a socket used by the wifi card it might be worth trying the HD card in theat to see if it's any better.

My Intel S12 accepts the HD card and even lets you install the drivers, but cannot access it (that is definately a bios/intel chipset  problem)

Punch Card
chewbaka

thanks for the reply

The BIOS gives me a rejection stating it is an unauthorized card. Does that mean that the BIOS can see the card, read the encoded ID, and reject it as not being on the whitelist? I would think that if the slot was USB the BIOS would not be as specific about the rejection and maybe not see the card at all.

However, I could be wrong.

My other slot is half length and too short for the HD card.

Blue Screen Again
Wumps

Hey Chewie,

Yeah the Unauthorized Card error would indicate that BIOS does in fact see the card and recognize it's VID/PID checks against the whitelist then rejects it. That's good news in a way, it would indicate that if the BIOS whitelist was altered to include those VID/PID numbers it should theorhetically work.

I'll try and see what I can do about getting the VID/PID numbers and then reach out to some community people maybe in the next few weeks we can get this going. :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
Wumps

Just a side note, I also want to check on using the Core AVC Codec and ffmpeg and see how that does, it might help with the decoding.

The other thought is the newer version of the Broadcomm BCM970015 is supposed to offer more codec support and may be a better card to get...

keep the ideas flowing guys! This is getting good!

Punch Card
chewbaka

I tried Core AVC Codec today and it is better. The video is smoother now than what I experienced before with the Cyberlink Codecs - although it is still a little bit choppy. The Core AVC codecs do make the mkv files viewable.

I have not compared the cpu utilization with different codecs yet as Core AVC seems to have taken over and superceded the option to choose codecs within Zoom Player.

I still want to try and install the Crystal HD as I think it will improve the video and relieve the cpu...

Plus I do not want Lenovo to arbitrarily have its way....

Punch Card
JesseBAndersen

[ Edited ]

[deleted]

Token Ring
tulisan

The easiest way to check if it will work is plugging it on S10-3 since its BIOS is not locked to specific hardware. If it does work, then we just need to hack the s10-3t bios to add its VID/PID in the BIOS

Punch Card
chewbaka

The suggestion to try the Crystal HD in a S10-3 sounded hopeful, however when I Googled " Crystal HD s10-3 " I got this:

http://netbooked.net/blog/lenovo-ideapad-s10-3-and-broadcom-crystal-hd-card-a-no-go/

The author seems to be attempting to do exactly what is suggested in the post above. He says that the S10-3 is locked - the netbook would not boot

and in the video it appears that he put the card in while in sleep mode and upon awakening the card did not show up in device manager. I am not sure I would plug in a card while there was power present to the device - although I wonder if a scan for hardware changes in Device Manager would have discovered the card.

Token Ring
tulisan

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid he's wrong since I currently have a non approved 3g modem installed in my S10-3 right now and it works without hacking the BIOS. It's the same 3g modem I tried on my S10-3T which didn't work unless I hack the 3T's BIOS.

As for installing a device while the netbook is in sleep mode, let alone with the battery not removed, is just plain stupid IMO. And when he resumed, he didn't even press Fn-F5 where he will enable the card, just like what I explained here.