Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
SimonNWalker

Re: Cannot Restore my S10!

Scott,

So how do the factory disks from Lenovo differ from the restore disks that we can create using the One Key Backup solution? and if different disks are available from Lenovo, why don't they provide a way for us to create them ourselves.

This whole One Key Backup solution really is a bad way to provide  a backup solution and they can't really call it a backup if you can't totally restore your computer to its factory settings.

I still have my original HD, but if I wanted to upgrade my HD, there is now way to do this and still have my original Windows from the One Key Backup disks.

I'm also pretty sure that if you tried to install your CD onto different computer that it would tell you that the version you are trying to install is not for this computer.  Dell Windows Install CD's do the same.

Could you image the overhead if they where producing CD's that had an individual Key for every computer that would be a nightmare.

So I'm sure that if I could get a CD from another user that contained the i386 folder from the same S10 that it would not be illegal.

I wish I could get an answer from Lenovo about this!

Thanks for your input anyway.

Simon
Punch Card
scoot1212

I was able to use the disk that I made to install XP in a virtual machine.  I wasn't prompted for the key but it was not activated. Once installed the key that was in the registry matched the key that's on the bottom of my machine.

I don't know how the $45 disk's are different. Somebody else posted that they are available.

Good luck,
Scott

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SimonNWalker

Did you install it in a Virtual Machine on the same computer?

If it was, the key would be the same as they normally tie themselves into something in the BIOS.

If it was a different machine, then I guess it must be hard coded in the install image.

Thanks for testing it.

Simon.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SimonNWalker

Does anybody know if there is a general supprot email addres that we can use like support@lenovo.com or something?

I always find it easier to write a detailed description of my problem instead of trying to hang on the phone for hours going through everything.

Punch Card
scoot1212

Completely different hardware running inside VMware Workstation 6.5.1

Scott

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SimonNWalker

Well I finally resolved my issue, but it was a ridiculous process.

NO you cannot buy any recovery media from Lenovo and you cannot purchase a Windows XP OEM installation disk from Lenovo either.

Im in the proces of writing a guide to help people in the future and I wil post it as soon I have it completed.

The outcome is that there is no way to recovery your S10 back to its factory config without returning your computer and have Lenovo restore your drive.

I poersonally don't care about the useless OneKey recovery system so I have a solution for everything else without returning your computer.  I also now have a bootable Windows XP Home OEM installation CD tha I can use any time I want on the original HD or a new one if I decide to upgrade.

Stay tuned for my guide.

Thanks all your help.

Simon

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SimonNWalker

OK, I have completed my guide to the best of my knowledge and posted it into a new thread.

You view it at:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=IdeaPad_Netbook&thread.id=2727