Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bob423

Does Webcam Firmware Update Kill Your Camera?

I am trying to find out if loading the Bison Firmware update for the camera kills the camera for all S10 users.
Please let me know if you successfully loaded the update and still have a functioning camera,
Thanks. Bob423

Problem:
When I first got my S10 with XP installed, the webcam worked fine, even took a picture which is still stored on the S10

After downloading the Bison firmware update for the camera off the Lenovo website it no longer works:
- Camera icon is still present in My Computer (USB Video Device)

- Upon double clicking on the icon, I get an icon of a camera connected to an icon of an LCD display (?) with the picture I previously took along the bottom.

- After clicking on "Refresh", I now get a gray square screen where the image from the camera is supposed to be.

- When I click on "Take a New Picture", the message "The camera is processing your request" briefly displays but then the screen reverts back to a gray square.

- When I right click on the camera icon and select "Properties" and then click on "Test Camera", I get the message, "Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test".

- I can turn the camera on and off by using the Fn-Esc key combination (icon disappears and reappears in My Computer).

- When I load Skype, I see a black screen where the video display should be. Under "webcam settings" the camera controls are displayed (brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.). Upon clicking on "Take a video snapshot" I get a larger black rectangle with a "take a snapshot button at the bottom". Upon clicking on the button, I get three squares displayed that are filled in with three dots as if a picture is being taken but the screen remains black as before.
In using the Scanner and Camera Wizard from the Control Panel and attempting to take a picture, I get the message, "Unable to take picture" However, clicking on "Test Camera" give the message, "Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test"

Anybody have any ideas?
Fanfold Paper
s10user161

Re: Does Webcam Firmware Update Kill Your Camera?

I have the identical problem.

After quite a bit of research, I am also suspecting it is the firmware update. I'd love to know what it does and how to back it out.

Fanfold Paper
FLH_Sky

hey there,

it seems like the Bison camere FW update kills the cam:

http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=IdeaPad_Netbook&thread.id=339

http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=IdeaPad_Netbook&thread.id=2147

Would be great if someone from Lenovo made a statement about that update!

Or maybe show us a way how to reverse the update ;-)

Blue Screen Again
Sectoid

Same issue, thank You for this topic with summary.

As I know, there are  lot of peoples with broken webcam.

With pleasure may provide some technical data, for help to resolve this problem.

Blue Screen Again
Sectoid

For example I may execute some diag custom utility and send back collected information (dump or so on).

First of all i purpose for each owner post here

model number to help localize problem.

Blue Screen Again
Sectoid

My NB is Lenovo S10 4231-35U
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bob423

For my S10:

- XP Home SP2 originally, later updated to SP3 via Windows Update service

- Mfg Date: Feb 7, 2009

- S/N: EB10873641

- MO: R3N039207241

- Factory ID: S

- BIOS: 14CN52WW, Nov 27, 2008 (original BIOS, not updated)

Punch Card
TheSteve

When I first got my S10 I checked to see if all of the drivers were up to date. I saw the webcam firmware and was going to update my camera. I am sure glad that I didn't. So far it works fine. Its almost like some cameras were shipped with the same firmware the update gives. Perhaps the patch updates the cameras firmware to the bad one, not the good one. Sure would be nice to hear from Lenovo on the issue. Or at least a patch to load the original firmware.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bob423

I too would ask for a patch to load the original firmware for the webcam. I'll post formal request.
Blue Screen Again
Sectoid

I think, they should research problem and release patch.