Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
IdeaPadder
Accepted Solution

How can I restore an IdeaPad s10e to factory settings?

Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I've been searching far and wide for a solution to my problem and I can't find a suitable answer...

I have an IdeaPad s10e (which I love) but lately there have been some weird and bizarre things going on with XP (WPA-PSK protected networks not working, programs crashing, windows opening by themselves). Before someone jumps in and say "VIRUSES!" it's not that. I always take all the necessary precautions to avoid this. What happened is that I used some StarDock programs to dress XP up and it started doing all these crazy things, I uninstalled them and it's still acting weird.

Anyway, I wanted to restore my netbook back to factory state, but since I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows 7 alongside XP my F11 restore option is missing. When I installed Ubuntu the option was still there, but when i installed the cursed Windows 7 RC the loader ate up that option. Now I restored XP's bootloader and deleted the Ubuntu partition but the F11 option is still missing.

So, what can I do?...I really want to restore my netbook back to normal. This time around Windows 7 won't be an option until I can buy the full version.

So PLEASE help me. And I also read some posts about cloning the drive before using the netbook and such, but none of that will help me. Lenovo's support isn't very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Punch Card
nagatyh

Re: How can I restore an IdeaPad s10e to factory settings?

IdeaPadder wrote:

Windows 7 won't be an option until I can buy the full version.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/06/how-to-rearm-and-extend-free-usage-activation-grace-period-...

this link shows a way to use windows 7 rtm for 120 days legally..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 2xATI HD5770 CF / 8GB DDR3 / 4x500GB RAID-5 / Win 7 Ultimate x64
Lenovo S10e Black / 2GB DDR2 / 160GB HDD / 6-cell battery / Win 7 Ultimate x86
Motorola Xoom
Fanfold Paper
tryptones

Your S10e should have come with CD's to restore your netbook to its original state.  Unfortunately, they default install to the SSD which on mine is only 4GB and there's no option to install on the HDD.  I used Casper HDD copy software to move the OS to the HDD and copied the restoration files off of the CD's and onto the SSD.  If you don't have the restoration CD's you could try contacting Lenovo and request them.  Otherwise, you can install WINXP from scratch and download all of the drivers from the Lenovo site.

Punch Card
nagatyh

tryptones wrote:

Your S10e should have come with CD's to restore your netbook to its original state.

S10e doesnt come with Cds (or at least in some regions), only the hdd F11 recovery.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 2xATI HD5770 CF / 8GB DDR3 / 4x500GB RAID-5 / Win 7 Ultimate x64
Lenovo S10e Black / 2GB DDR2 / 160GB HDD / 6-cell battery / Win 7 Ultimate x86
Motorola Xoom
What's DOS?
IdeaPadder

I figured it out. I reinstalled Ubuntu and used it's GRUB Bootloader and then I was able to access the recovery partition. No need for expensive recovery discs or contacting Lenovo to hear a long and boring excuse.

Thanks for your replies!

Fanfold Paper
max291

[ Edited ]

much help