How to Create Factory Disc with One Key Recovery 7.0

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎09-27-2011 by
Modified ‎06-25-2013 by
(64,931 Views)

How to Create Factory Disc with One Key Recovery 7.0

Ideapad Series Tools One Key Recovery 7

Additional Needed Things: USB DVD Burner Slimline , a mount of DVD writeable Discs (not practical CDs a lot more) , time approx. 2-3 hours, a big portion of patience.

Make this as first big operation when you get your machine, later is possible, but not recommended because it would be too late when your need it but parts or partition moved or deleted/overwritten.

1. Start your machine
  2. Plug ing your USB DVD Burner
  3. Press the One Key Recovery (OKR) key can be found on your Ideapad or click the OKR Button on screen.
  4. Next, you should see this Menu below.
  5. Choose Create Recovery Disc
    OKR7 001.jpg

6. You should see this "Select Recovery Disc Type" page.OKR7 002 Create DVD Existing backup .jpg

7. Choose the "Factory default recovery disc". (Note that only machine with preloaded Windows can do this)
  8. Click next button brings you to Step 2 Factory default recovery disc.OKR7 003 Create  Factory DVD.jpg

9. In this Step 2, insert an empty writeable DVD.OKR7 004  DVD3 next.jpg

10. After a short recognition it shows you the write speed. When its ok, press Next.

Be patient, OKR will start writing and checked the whole disc which takes time.

It should take at least 3 discs for Windows 7 Starter or 4 discs for Windows 7 Home Premium depends on preinstalled programs configuration.

This procedure takes time even on Atom based systems. It may look like the machine gets hung up from time to time but it doesnt actually.

This is a side note:

If you want a bigger sized harddrive, and / or you want most all recovered, OKR creates a bootable first disc , so you can change your harddrive... if that whole procedure is done.

1. Plug in your USB DVD burner and start your Ideapad.
  2. Press F2 to get into BIOS settings, then choose BOOT set first boot to USB-DVD and exit
  3. Or press F12 (Fn-F11) that provoke the Boot Device Menu, meanwhile insert your first disc that OKR created for you earlier.
  4. It will boot from disc. Please follow the instructions to recover. OKR will ask you to create new partitions (or delete old) 
  5. Answer with yes. When procedure is done , your new HDD is filled as same than the factory HDD, with one exception that you can't rewrite with OKR.
  6. Choose factory recover disc again.
  7. When press next you will get a warning that factory restore is not available (as seen below)

OKR7 005 Factory Recover not.jpg

8. But that doesnt matter as you can resize or delete partitions, without have to fear from now on.
    Note: Factory Recovery disc creation can only be done one time.
  9. If you like that program , you can save your straightline running windows with all your work via system backup, and could create recover existing backup image or running system, creates a bootable disc same as done above. But recreate only your windows partition itself, not the whole hdd.

Note: Why dont choose a flashdrive for "factory restore" ?

Its not provided by OKR 6 / 7 to save @ other media, however you can save your personal backup on those media. 
A complete HDD backup is around 20 GB and flashdrive size last min 32GB. Currently flashdrive more expensive than a USB-dvd burner plus a mount of writeable DVDs.

Further information about OKR --> One Key Recovery Video

Info: Where residents the parts of OKR ... on 2 different partitions .. this shows the invisible content on driver partition  

okr driver invisble part.JPG

part 1 on driver partition in hidden folder/files & OKR part 2 on the "normal" invisible partition..as shown here

okr partiitontable 250GB 2.JPG.
thats the reason why we first fasten your seatbelts & save the whole , before you want to change move/delete/format/resize on your harddrive  

Comments
by pgustafs on ‎06-19-2012 07:04 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation here. 

One followup question.

One of my Lenovo machines recently had a HDD failure.  I wasn't too concerned, as I thought I had a good set of OneKey recovery disks.  However, when I went to do the restore, after loading the Win 7 stuff, the tool reported that the partitions were wrong and needed to be rebuit first.

I then realized I probably used the first choice, recovery disk with existing backup image, when I probably should have done the factory default option.  Admittedly I didn't see that that option also included the current backup image.

So for clarification, what data does the first option recover vs. the last one?  The factory setting clearly threw me, as I really didn't want that initial state because of all the software/stuff added to the machine.   But now in hindsight, perhaps its the factory restore that is needed to rebuild the partitions, first.   It's water under the bridge now, but it would have been nice to better understand what onekey backup option would be needed for a HDD failure vs. a simple restore of an existing backup image, cuz now I may be screwed.

Contributors