Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
kammajaega

Re: How to enter BIOS setup in IdeaPad S10's boot boost mode ?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

1. remove your hdd

. boot your ideapad (without any device attached to it nor ethernet)

it will show up broadcoms NIC trying to boot remotely and fail...

3. restart your ideapad -> TADA the prompt is back again.

get a fresh BIOS update from here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72939.html

best regards

KJ

What's DOS?
stevejellis

Re: How to enter BIOS setup in IdeaPad S10's boot boost mode ?

I had this same problem.... it was caused because the machine was in hibernation.  I did a full close down and on the next power up the F2 option was available.....

Serial Port
theedje

cant access bios anymore s10 netbook

Hello I have an s10 netbook. I recently upgraded the bios about a few days ago. After upgrading the bios, the netbook boots up a lot faster but it doesn''t allow access to the bios (f2) or booting from another device (f12) so you can see why this is problematic. I believe it is the quick boot option in the bios that is causing this, but I have no idea why it would stop access to keys f2 and f12. I tried flashing the bios again but there was no change. also tried pressing the keys . I also looked for the cmos battery but didnt want to pull the netbook apart too much. running win 7 with 160gb and 1.5gb ram if it matters. i found a past poster with the same problem but a weird solution of switching hard drives which doesn't make sense. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/How-to-enter-BIOS-setup-in-IdeaPad-S10-s-boot-... thanks ahead of time for anything useful
KalvinKlein

Re: cant enter bios, computer works fine otherwise

Hi and welcome,

try the old hint remove battery and powerplug ... press 30 seconds power on button...

regards KalvinKlein

theedje

hey thanks for the reply i tried this...didnt work...
Serial Port
theedje

Still not working...I was thinking the backup file would work for going back, since it can be run in windows, but since i ran the thing twice it wiped my backup with a copy of the newest..so thats not gonna work.. is there a way i can get an older version of the s10's bios without the quickboot option? so i can actuallly boot from an alternative device/drive any other suggestions?
community supermod
erik

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-72939

you'll find older BIOSes at the bottom of the page.   14CN94WW is the oldest version available.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
theedje

thanks for the response erik... I looked @ the page....that is the type of stuff I need...but unfortunately v94 is the version I have installed. Also the version of my laptop is MT 4231 (not MT 4329, 4333) since my netbook is one without 3G and its not the s10e. Is there a page of legacy bioses for MT 4231? If so please post a link. Thanks.
community supermod
erik

searching for an ideapad S10 4231 on support.lenovo.com comes back saying 14CN94WW is the correct BIOS for your system.   however, that's the oldest version you can install due to it that particular version not accepting anything older.

my only other suggestion would be to try a newer BIOS and see if that helps.   i'm not familiar with the ideapad lineup to know why you can no longer access your BIOS.   attempting to boot with the hard drive removed as mentioned by another member above is certainly worth a try.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
theedje

thanks for the suggestion of removing the harddrive.. it wasnt too hard to get out of the netbook ..after booting it didn't appear to be booting off any other devices (blank screen) but after shutting down a few times and pressing keys on boot it tried to boot off the lan device multiple times until reboot..... after trying to boot off the lan device I shut it down and upon restart the options (f2 for bios, f12 for boot menu) appear.... SUCCESS thanks erik for the suggestion...I didnt try it earlier since it didnt make sense that the menu would showup on the next reboot...maybe this is a failsafe lenovo has after adding options that disable access to bios =X (shame on lenovo) SOLVED