Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ximacro

Ideapad S10e - Fn F5 not working for normal user

[ Edited ]

Using Windows XPProme

In line with frequent recommendations, I created a user account without any special priviledges for everyday use. Has anyone any idea about what I need to tweak in order to:

a) enable the Fn F5 key to show the popup menu that allows to enable or disable selectively bluetooth and WLAN? 

b) activate the little (and useful) popup picture when I press the green general wireless-and-bluetooth enable button?

Thanks!

Message Edited by ximacro on 08-09-2009 10:28 AM
KalvinKlein

Re: Ideapad S10e - Fn F5 not working for normal user

Hi, if i read your problem correct...
you have no admin rights ... thats why icons invisible and Energymanagement didnt work...
i prefer SuRun in this case...
read more and download here... its automatic translated in english.. dont worry...

SuRun

SuRun used a simple trick to certain users to request an application with administrative privileges to run. SuRun uses a Windows service, the user briefly in the local user group "Administrators" section, the application starts and the user from the Administrators group is removed.

-----------------

The green button is working as a switch ...

press to activate all wireless ...press again to switch all wireless off

then Fn + F5 Button works & show menu for WLAN / BT .... 

sincerely KalvinKlein

ximacro

KalvinKlein,

If you tell me which programme I must invoke using SuRun (or SuDown which I have installed), I would be grateful. I tried to figure out which process gets invoked when I press Fn F5, but no success (not even with the Process Explorer of Sysinternals). 

I actually had another option in mind. It works with the power management: one needs to give write rights to users in a branch of the registry, and then users can choose energy schemes.The tweak is documented in http://www.heise.de/ct/Energie-Einstellungen-nur-als-Admin--/hotline/131373, I had read it before elsewhere. It works!

There should be something similar for the enabling / disabling of the Bluetooth and WiFi adapters.

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi, the program Energymanagement This package installs the software to

manage notebook power , and support some of Fn function keys  on Windows XP Home & Prof.

so

Energy Management.exe

&

utility.exe

you have to

run as admin both programs

hope that helps you

sincerely KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 08-10-2009 10:18 AM
ximacro

[ Edited ]
Boa Noite! I am afraid to say that this does not work. I uninstalled Sudown, installed Surun and invoked all the programmes that you mentioned as admin within Surun. Fn+F5 still does not invoke the popup window. It works when I log in as a user with full admin rights. Energy settings are accessible via the ikon in the system tray, after the modification of the rights of the respective registry branch.

I strongly suspect that the problem is related to restrictive settings in some part of the registry that Surun cannot overcome: enabling Bluetooth or Wifi settings are probably not allowed for a user without admin rights. But which branch is it?

Any further suggestions?
Message Edited by ximacro on 08-11-2009 12:17 AM
KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi , the article you found...declared the way..

if this didnt work ... i dont no other way around... depends on XP Home 

( i use Prof...).dont know... 

this time start your windows with admin rights

go to

start--> run--> type regedit

in regedit on the left
go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder\PowerCfg

right mouseclick on

PowerCfg

permission for PowerCfg

left mouseclick on User

click on advanced---> edit-->

You get a list permission Allowed Denied

at
Defined Value set a hook at Allowed
and at
Sub Key set a hook at Allowed

ok
and close regedit...

that the way around.... 

..now you can restart .. start your user account...

sincerely KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 08-11-2009 01:44 AM
ximacro

Hello also!

Maybe we misunderstood each other, due to different machines maybe. 

I got the power settings working with the registry tweak outlined in the previously quoted article. Therefore, this problem has been solved some time ago. The power settings utility appears in the system tray and can be opened.

On my Ideapad S10e, Fn+F5 opens a popup window that allows me to activate/deactivate wireless adapters, i.e., Bluetooth and Wifi / WLAN.  I find this very useful, but ... this window that does not pop up when I log in as a normal user; something probably needs admin rights.

I suspect that ordinary users are not allowed to activate/deactivate these adapters, and therefore the window does not pop up. 

The Question therefore is: where, in the registry, can I give users the right to activate/deactivate adapters? Maybe the window will then open when users have the necessary rights for modifying the registry settings.

Regards! 

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi,

thats curious...

no difference ive the same machine :smileyhappy: with BT & WLAN :smileyhappy:

But it works for people in german forum they have same not popping FnF5 probs on S10e with XP   ...same way as i described...a few registry clicks .......the Fn F5 Menue WLAN &  BT pop up comes up....

... ? ...

But i found this in .... could be helpful...

some guy says....

It works with SuRun...
In SuRunners Group -->
Yellow Questionmark

add programs

Energy Management.exe
Open Energy Management.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------<<< Did you set this part in SuRun ?
(same also for activate Fn+F5 menue )

Utility.exe
open utility.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------<<<

in second box (windows sign)
set --->start this programm automagically

sincerely KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 08-11-2009 11:49 AM
Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 08-11-2009 11:54 AM
ximacro

Thank you for your patience, KalvinKlein! Your advice helped me solve the problem -- almost, see below.

First, I can confirm that utility.exe controls the popups that I was missing. Second, when I start it with admin priviledges via SuRun as you advised in your last message, Fn+F5 does what it is supposed to do. Furthermore, pressing the upper green button that controls all wireless connections now produces the little (and useful) popup windows. The same applies to Fn+Esc (camera on and off). Therefore, the "blockade" that low priviledges bring about appears to be with regard to the popup windows. 

I do not start the energy manager with higher priviledges because giving users the right to modify the respective registry branch alone does the trick. Note that even the popup window opens in this. 

I haven't tried to deactivate the start of utility.exe from the autorun list and then start it with Sudown, but might try later and will provide a feedback. 

The remaining problem has to do with SuRun. I installed on a computer with Win2k, and it works like a charme. On the S10e, however, the control window flickers -- it is on for some seconds, then goes away briefly for half a second or several seconds, then comes back etc. Under this conditions, it is difficult to even enter a password. It probably is a little bug in SuRun, but you might know how to go around this -- I hope ;-)

Again, thanks for your patience!

Paper Tape
ximacro

[ Edited ]

Here is an update and summary about how to make the Lenovo S10e Fn utilities work for ordinary users (without admin rights). In a nutshell: we have a work-around, but have not identified the cause of the problem (which is restrictive registry setting). 

a)  Energy Manager works when the registry tweak as described in http://www.heise.de/ct/Energie-Einstellungen-nur-als-Admin--/hotline/131373 (in German) is applied. If these modification to the rights in the registry are applied, the Lenovo energy manager appears in the system tray and can be started from there without needing admin rights. 

b) The Lenovo utility UTILITY.EXE controls the FN keys and controls the popup windows that allow to control the settings of wireless connections (BT and Wifi), camera and backlight of the screen. It works when it is started with one of the utilities that invoke programmes with admin rights _in the context of a restricted  user_. However, before invoking the programme with admin rights, the currently running process utility.exe (which autoruns in the user context, without admin rights) has to be killed. Either use the Taskmanager to terminate the process, or use one of the utilities that modify autorun settings and disable the automatic start of utility.exe. Then start utility.exe with SuRun or Sudown. SuRun has an option to allow utility.exe to start with admin rights in the user context right away. Therefore, killing the original process is not necessary. KalvinKlein described the necessary settings in the SuRun menues. 

Open issues: 

Why does utility.exe not open popup windows when started in the user context without special admin rights? Maybe the popup windows are blocked if the current user has no admin rights.  But maybe it requires rights to modify some hardware settings (like wireless connections, hardware-enable settings of the camera).

I hope that some reader of this forum has the splendid idea that is still missing! 

Message Edited by ximacro on 08-13-2009 12:01 AM
Message Edited by ximacro on 08-13-2009 12:03 AM