Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
CMBC
Accepted Solution

Ideapad S205 Memory/RAM: Maximum Speed?

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have asked Lenovo customer service/tech support this question many times, each to give me 1066mhz as the answer.

What is the maximum SPEED for the RAM/Memory that the S205 with AMD Fusion E450 Processor can use?

I understand 8G (2 slots of 4G) is the maximum ram capacity.

But what is the maximum ram speed? I thought that the maximum allowance is 1066mhz due to the website, despite the AMD website saying that the E450 can handle 1333mhz.

Obviously, I want to max out my RAM. I went to the Kingston website and used the option to locate specific RAM for this unit and it resulted in 1066mhz 2X4G Sticks. So I bought it and just got it. I just feel like coming on here and seeing if anyone actually KNOWS for a fact what the maximum speed capacity (or anything else I should be aware of aside from Gig capacity) that the S205 with AMD Fusion E450 can take.

EDIT:
Upon further research, I have found the following.

1) According to Crucial tech support, the RAM frequency/speed is controlled by the CPU Processor only. And as pointed out by him, the AMD 300 and 350 have a maximum control speed for RAM of 1066mhz. However the E450 has an "integrated DDR3 memory controller (up to 1333MHz)" as can be seen from ( http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_data/s205_tech_specs.pdf ).

Also note that right below it, it goes on to state that the maximum speed for RAM is 1066mhz. So this further confuses the issue. It seems to me that when they listed the Memory max capacity and speed, they forgot that the E450 can handle more than the E300 and E350, and simply used 1066 as their maximum speed.

I've already gone ahead and purchased 2X4G 1066 RAM. Luckily I haven't opened them. But now this involves shipping it back to the company, and having to order the proper 1333mhz RAM. Otherwise I'm using RAM that's slower than my full potential.

I went ahead and called Lenovo and brought this to their attention. After the girl going back and forth between 1333 and 1066, she decided at the end (obviously from help from their Level 2 tech support) that 1333 is maximum for E450.

Conclusion:
It appears that if you have E450, you can have 1333.

If you have E300 or 350, you can have 1066.

If anyone else has confirmation, please tell.

Punch Card
Squeeky

Re: Ideapad S205 Memory/RAM: Maximum Speed?

You can almost always use faster RAM, but that doesn't mean that the system will take advantage of its full potential.

I have an S205, with the E350 CPU.  It came with 3GB RAM (2+1), and the supplied RAM was 1333 MHz.

I upgraded the RAM to 6GB, by substituting a 4GB module for the 1 GB module,  I used generic Kingston 1333 (which, at the time, was cheaper than buying 1066).

So, now all of my RAM is 1333 MHz, but I assume that the CPU is running it at 1066.

Punch Card
CMBC

Yes I understand the concept of buying faster RAM and having it simply downclock itself.

The problem is I already bought 2 sticks of 4G 1066mhz RAM on the advice of Lenovo spec sheets, Lenovo Tech Support, Kingston (who were just relying on Lenovo to advice them), and a company online that I bought the RAM from (who were thereby just relying on Kingston's reliance on Lenovo). So in the end, it looks like due to poor advice, I bought 2 sticks of RAM that are slower than my computer can take.

I haven't been able to get inside the Lenovo S205 yet to first see what speed the RAM is that came with it (4G, I assume according to their spec sheet its 1066). However I just remembered that my old netbook (that was stolen) uses DDR3 204 PIN RAM. I had an extra stick laying around and it's a 1333mhz 2G Kingston stick. So I'm going to first open this netbook up, see what speed the stick is that's currently in there (too bad the BIOS for these units doesn't report RAM speed but only the Gig amount). From there, depending on what I find, I may put in my old 2G 1333 stick. Of course I still have no way of determiming at what speed the computers RAM is actually RUNNING at. The BIOS doesn't report it and Lenovo hasn't installed any software (that I know of, like ThinkVantage Tools) that would report the speed the RAM is running at. If anyone knows if the unit comes with any way to check on that, please tell.

I understand that I can install software from online (such as System Information for Windows and other programs) that will report it. I may end up doing that to verify the speed the RAM is running at and then report back here.

Punch Card
Squeeky

If you go to the Lenovo support website, and enter the serial number of your S205, if will give you a list of every component in the machine (including the manufacturer of the RAM modules, the sizes, the speed, etc.).

The owner's manual indicates that the RAM spec for my S205 is 1066.  By typing in my serial number, I found that Lenovo had actually installed 1333 RAM in my system.  So, when I added more RAM, I knew to add 1333 instead of 1066.

No, I haven't bother to check my actual RAM speed.

Punch Card
CMBC

[ Edited ]

Good find. I didn't know that was an option.

I located what you spoke of and entered my SN and it tells my I have an HY 1333 4G RAM.

Now it's a matter of whether it's actually running at 1333 or 1066 is the question.

So I finally installed "System Information for Windows" which is a light weight tool that reports all of your system information.

It tells me that my RAM is by "Hyundai Electonics". Since when did they get into RAM? Oh well...

It also reports that it is in fact running at 1333 mhz. Of course because I have te E450, that is what it should be.

In theory, because you are using one of the 300-350 series, yours should clock down to 1066mhz. But if you're curious, you can always google this program and download/install it for free. There is a trail version of it which is what I did.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,62604-order,1/description.html

The download button takes like 10 seconds before the file begins to download.

So I guess problem solved.

Now I have to pay to ship my 2 sticks of 1066 RAM back and then pay more shipping to have 1333 ones sent. Thanks Lenovo....

Punch Card
Squeeky

I find it hard to believe that an S205 system is memory-constrained, whether operating at 1066 or 1333.  The limiting factor appears to be the speed of the CPU.

I obtained a material boost is system speed by increasing my installed memory from 3GB to 6GB.  But that increase is due to the elimination of memory swapping, nothing else.  Since I can't do anything about the speed of the memory interface, I haven't worried about it.

I was pleased to learn that the memory which shipped with my system is 1333 because (i) it was cheaper to upgrade than 1066 would have been, and (ii) it was more likely to be usable in a future system.

Blue Screen Again
ckfalls

CMBC,

I think you are correct that 1333MHz works, did you ever confirm this was the case?

Also, which memory speed did you buy?  PC316600, PC316660, or PC316666?  I can't find any Lenovo doc's that say one or the other, but PC316600 seems to be the most readily available and produced.  Any idea which is any is required?  If all three work, is one better than the other?

If you know I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks!