Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
nkemp

Installing MINI PCIE SATA xxGB SSD in 3t ?????

Is it possible to install a MINI PCIE SATA xxGB SSD in a 3t?  I read that Lenovo is working some cool software that would allow this and treat the SSD & the Disk Drive as one.  But since I have been for years using multiple drives at home & at work, it wouldn't matter to me if they had different drive designators.

I'd love to load the OS and a few programs onto the MINI PCIE SATA xxGB SSD and use the hard drive for a data drive.  I would expect it to be faster with potentially a battery improvement (another device is more power draw but less usage on the HDD.  Which way would it net out, avings or increase in power?).

This probably relates to the "whitelist" which seems to be a black eye for Lenovo.  Does any PCIE card need to be on the whitelist or just the catagories listed?

Thanks,

Nick

KalvinKlein

Re: Installing MINI PCIE SATA xxGB SSD in 3t ?????

Hi and welcome,

the empty minipci-e card slot could be used with 3g cards only...

...& there is  no bios option... so no boot access from minipci-e

...if you want insert a fast ssd to your system.... use the 2,5" standard hdd sata bay and replace it with 2,5" SSD.. 

sincerely KalvinKlein

JesseBAndersen

I was tempted on trying a mini pci-e ssd with my S10-3T, but in the end it's a lot of trouble since you have to deal with bios white list and like Kalvin mentioned it might not boot from it at all.

Lenovo had created a neat technology called RapidDrive that combines PCI-E SSD and a normal hard drive, with this method you could store tons of files like movies and still have a lot of the speed of an SSD.

Check Lenovo's Rapid Drive (there's a video too)
http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=384

Left one has RapidDrive

The problem with just using a normal hard drive is that if you shake the system you can damage your hard drive and lose your data.  When I had a hard drive in my system I used an SD card for movies and that works too.
My little demonstration - http://www.lenovos103t.com/2010/04/smooth-video-playback.html

For now the 2.5 inch SSD are a solution for speed and I have tried an Intel X25M 2.5 SSD which works fine, but it's a bit expensive.  Hope that helps,

Jesse

Punch Card
nkemp

Best I can tell, Rapid Drive is not available or did I miss the link?

I agree with the Bios problem

But the SSD prices are to high.  For a while I'll stick with HDD technology.  As I posted to your blog, I'd be interested id a hybrid performance review.  Hybrid drives are available now and could be an interesting solution.

Punch Card
JesseBAndersen

Yes Rapid Drive is not available in the S10-3T, :-(

Seagate and Toshiba are pushing the hybrid drives quite a bit, some of the details say that:
 - they will be 20% faster than 10,000 rpm

- 80% faster than 7200rpm

No mention on the percentage increase over 5400 rpm, which is what the S10-3T has.  I have only heard of the Seagate Momentus being out already, but it has mixed reviews.  Maybe there's more drives out there, but I haven't looked it up.

Source:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-hdd-hybrid-nand-flash,10473.html