Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ValueTheory
Accepted Solution

Lenovo S205 with RaLink 3090 series wifi adapter problems - Driver update 3.2.1 solve?

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I just got the Lenovo S205 with the RaLink 3090 series wifi adapter, and had constant dropping until I downloaded the Version 3.2.1 update that was included in the link for the 309X (X is a 0 for me on my wifi card) software/drivers on the RaLink website, under the Support menu.

Just go to ralinktech.com and go to Support>Downloads>Windows, and you'll see the list of several RaLink devices that include the 309X adapter. I chose to download/install the full utility along with the driver. As I recall, it may be over 28 megabytes in size.

Hope this works for you! 

Paper Tape
ValueTheory

Re: Lenovo S205 with RaLink 3090 series wifi adapter problems - Driver update 3.2.1 solve?

[ Edited ]

Update:

I uninstalled the RaLink wifi utility that came with the 3.2.1 driver, but it uninstalled the driver too. So I reinstalled and checked the 'install driver only' option,  went to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Network adapters>

Ralink RT3090 802.11n WiFi Adapter>double-click to open up Properties>Power Management tab>uncheck "Allow this computer to turn off device to save power", "OK", closed programs and restarted.

Then when I start or awaken the system from sleep, I click on the Wireless Connections icon in the bottom right-hand tray (next to the clock that looks like reception bars on a cell phone), then click on the connection I want to connect to, then click "Connect". While it takes about 8 seconds to connect, it's MUCH more preferable than having the connection constantly drop out, and I've probably had to restart my system only once when it wouldn't reconnect out of a sleep state.

I've had MUCH more consistent behavior since this change, and I hope this works well for you too!

Fanfold Paper
RejZoR

Re: Lenovo S205 with RaLink 3090 series wifi adapter problems - Driver update 3.2.1 solve?

For me, removing Lenovo software and driver fixed WiFi reception. Win7 will just install some old driver on it's own and that's enough. I don't have to change anything else.

Lenovo IdeaPad S205 / E-450 / 4GB RAM / 500GB / Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Paper Tape
feldlurch

I have the constant problem that Windows tells me the Wlan is off.

Bios, Hardware switch and system manager tell me its on.

So, you uninstalled the driver and got a new driver through windows update?

Did windows update find those drivers on its own, or did you have to initiate it?

Paper Tape
Yumcha

Lenovo S205 - Detects my wifi network but it will not connect...help please :)

Hey guys,

I hope someone here will be able to help me...

I recently bought a Lenovo S205 from Hong Kong...when I was in Hong Kong I was using one of those 3G USB sticks to connect to the internet and it worked fine.

Now that I am back in Canada at home, I have been trying to connect to my wifi in my place...all my other devices will connect to the wifi without a problem but for some reason my S205 will not connect to it.

It detects my wifi network, and after I type in my password it gives me a message saying "windows was unable to connect to "wifi"" and asks if I want to trouble shoot it....I trouble shoot and it doesnt really solve anything.

I have tried updating the network adapter drivers and I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it continues to give me the same message.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or any suggestions to fixing it?...it is really frustrating because I bought this netbook to travel with me and now its useless because it can't connect to my WIFI.

THanks for all the help guys in advance :smileyhappy:

P.S.  When I use the ethernet cable the internet works fine, if that matters.

Punch Card
Squeeky

Re: Lenovo S205 - Detects my wifi network but it will not connect...help please :)

Assuming that you have a RaLink WiFi card, verify that you have the latest RaLink drivers (3.2.7.0, dated 11/14/2011).

If not, you can get them here:  http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/license.php?sn=5000

The last time I checked, these were available only from RaLink (not Lenovo).

Paper Tape
Yumcha

Re: Lenovo S205 - Detects my wifi network but it will not connect...help please :)

Thanks for replying,

Unfortunately I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it as youve mentioned...it still does not work...any more suggestions?? :smileyhappy:

Thanks again,

Community Moderator
yigit

is it possible to disable wireless security option and try to connect it without?

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
Yumcha

Okay so I kind of got it fixed...apparently it was my antenna was broken...so my friend helped me replace it..and now it works a little better...but now my wifi is very patchy...this machine is really becoming a nightmare...

Community Moderator
yigit

patchy? having trouble with connections? ( connection drops )

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com