Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
TitoG

Lenovo S9e HDD

I purchased a Lenovo S9e at Sharaf DG in Dubai last month. It was advertised that the HDD has 160GB. I was surprised when I started using the notebook, it has only 4GB on its main drive C while the 160GB is on a separate drive D! Each time I download applications and install softwares my drive C gets full and it's annoying!!!  I had to transfer installed files/applications from C to D and clean up drive C everytimeto get extra room. Any suggestions?

KalvinKlein

Re: Lenovo S9e HDD

[ Edited ]

Hi, there are many ways.. you can leave the system on the 4GB SSD or move all to the harddrive...

but sooner or later if you dont maintain the system 4 GB is full...

First... 

control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management

make sure there is a partition on the hdd, if not, right click on the disk and create a new partition..

next reallocate the my documents folder--> right click move to drive D:

Leave no big data on desktop ... thats drive c:smileysad:SSD) --> save all data in my documents... (now drive d: (HDD) 

or second... swap the whole system to the harddrive...

free prg...

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

after clone or copy the system to HDD ..you must change in BIOS the startup to HDD....

and use the SSD for other systems like quickstart ....

sincerely KalvinKlein 

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 06-27-2009 06:12 PM
TitoG

Hi Kalvin, thanks to your feedback. I tried the first option but it didn't work. The second is likewise not a practical solution.

Are you familiar with the design of Lenovo S9e? Is it standard with Lenovo to have 4GB SSD and a separate HDD?

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi,

as S10e 4GB + 160GB, where the system is on the SSD and the harddrive is empty... same as you got...

available here...as latest updated S10e model... short before the newer S10-2 steps on the scene...

most people here...move the system from ssd to hdd...

why the first option didnt work ... ?

sincerely KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 06-30-2009 08:43 PM
TitoG

Hi Kalvin,

Again, many thanks to your feedback. You mentioned most people there...move the system from ssd to hdd???

Are you saying all the users of Lenovo S9e have to do that in order to make best use of the pc???

When I purchased my Lenovo S9e, I was not told by the store salesman nor was there any mention on Lenovo ads in their promotion about this procedure.

I am using other brands of laptops and PCs and I did not encounter this problem with Lenovo S9e. Is Lenovo aware of this problem with the design of their Lenovo S9e? What action are they taking to rectify this issue???

Thank you.

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi,

no , before i bought the lenovo,

i use XP Home on Asus 701  with same size SSD 4GB...and you cant upgrade with harddrive

only chance to save your data on SDHC card ....

i ve used this machine over 6 month without problems...

and all time i use no big programs for instance instead of installing i use most of time portable programs...

http://www.portablefreeware.com/ ....

the SSD has not going over a frontier size 2,5 GB so that XP has enough room to breeze....

Its up to u to use the SSD space well or not...

but thats an Lenovo and the 160GB harddrive is waiten for your data.... :smileyhappy:

sincerely KalvinKlein

ps: restrictions on ULPCs that can still have Windows XP installed is the key , i dont want to say it loud... :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 07-01-2009 10:11 PM
TitoG

Hi Kalvin,

I just want to understand what is the simplest way for me to make best use of my Lenovo S9e. I have high regard on Lenovo products that made me decide to purchase the unit. I feel proud owning a Lenovo S9e from the time I purchased it until I realized something's quite abnormal with the product.

Just like the others who are not techie, I want to use a PC as plug and play - same as other brands of PCs that I have been using.

Assuming I just purchased the Lenovo S9e, opened the box, installed the battery, plug the power chord, and clicked the on button. Now I want to install softwares through an external drive and via the internet. How can I install properly all programs I want (same way as I do in other brands of computer) and begin enjoying the use of my newly purchased Lenovo S9e?

Thank you once more for the support,

Fanfold Paper
TitoG

Attention: KalvinKlein

Hi, are you still there? Sorry to bother you but since you were the one who came to my rescue on this Lenovo S9e problem, I have to follow up my pending question. In case you are speechless this time, can you please tell me the contact details of LENOVO MIDDLE EAST, including name of LENOVO'S CUSTOMER SERVICE DIRECTOR, his email and contact nos.

Thank you.

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi, sorry about that, but didnt have enough time to declare all ways to go ,

as i described in earlier posts, there are many ways...
i dont know which way you want to go..but here is the simpliest at all...

even an beginner should do that... i describe the whole procedure ...

for my opinion its the simpliest way to clone the whole SSD (4GB) to HDD(160GB) ...
so that you have enough room...
So download on other computer http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/
extract it and burn the image to an cd ...
plug the USB optical drive to your S9e insert the burned cd and
restart your S9e press F2 to go in BIOS, then  press Fn+F7

to get numlock so the plus is left to your right shift key is active
with coursor key go to Boot with + (plus) move the

USB CDROM: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R6472 (example its mine, yours could be vary)

to the first position the HDD to the second ...

go to the SSD type X to exclude the SSD from boot order (important !!)

save and exit with F10 ...
So now Easeus Disk Copy 2.3 will start... ask you for screen setting ...

get first choice recommended type 1 (for 1024x768) but doesnt matter.
Welcome Screen -->Next -->Disk Copy-->Next -->Disk 0 (4GB SSD)(Next)-->Disk 1(149,05 GB=160GB )(Next) -->Proceed
Prompt: Message All the data in your destination location will be overwritten , Are you certain to Start .
confirm with yes.. then the entire copy takes a while says 3 hours ...

(Its the difference between free ware , take more time )

(Acronis TrueImage do this Work in about 15 mins, but cost money) 

if its finshed remove the external cd and restart...
When all things going right... you have your Windows XP on Harddrive and its booting from this drive... but its 4GB Partitionized on 149,05 GB so
next step is resize Partition ...to use full harddrive (what i dont personal prefer, i allways split 30GB and rest for data.. but that is another story)
to make it simple and free,
 download...EASEUS Partition Master 4.0.1 Home Edition for free
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
install the program...
start it & go on HDD (149,05 GB)
you see there is unallocated place at the right side of system partition C: ,
then right click system partition, choose "Resize/Move".
Extend the system partition C: to a suitable size (in this case full 149,05 GB ), and click OK
After extending the system partition, we could preview it on disk map.
If you are satisfied with the operation you make,
 you will see the operations you do in Operation Pending. Just click "Apply".
System will restart and do resize...
if you need pics similar to what we have done ... this site scroll down to second case..
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm
if anything going right...
you can format drive d: (4 GB SSD)
and use it for install quickstart ...
but that is another story ...

you can install whatever you want..
i prefer cause of atom and small size...
billy (play mp3)
http://www.sheepfriends.com/?page=billy

K-lite codecs includes mediaplayer classic instead of bloath mediaplayer for all video
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

peazip for zip /pack
http://peazip.sourceforge.net/
Sumatra PDF Reader instead of bloath Adobe Reader
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html

and many more... but that are the best for having fun with mp3, all kind of video and PDF..

no stuttering videos...

you can install what you want... thats only my suggestions.. :smileyhappy:

sincerely KalvinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 07-07-2009 11:44 PM
TitoG

Hi Kalvin,

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to understand what is the simplest way for me to make best use of my Lenovo S9e. I have high regard on Lenovo products that made me decide to purchase the unit. I feel proud owning a Lenovo S9e from the time I purchased it until I realized something's quite abnormal with the product.

Just like the others who are not techie, I want to use a PC as plug and play - same as other brands of PCs that I have been using.

Assuming I just purchased the Lenovo S9e, opened the box, installed the battery, plug the power chord, and clicked the on button. Now I want to install softwares through an external drive and via the internet.

How can I install all programs and begin enjoying the use of my newly purchased Lenovo S9e without going through all the lengthy procedures you enumerated in your posts? Remember, when I purchased the unit, there was no disclaimer from Lenovo nor was there any info provided by the store about the abnormality of the product. I want to use it as if it were the real Lenovo brand that I admire.

Thank you once more for the support,