Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
bkreed
Accepted Solution

My S10 won't boot up

[ Edited ]

I searched the forum prior to posting this but I don't see anything that describes the issue I'm having.

I mistakenly tried to boot up my S10 with a n external hard drive connected.  I immediately got a message saying "NTLDR missing" or something similar. I realized it was probably trying to boot from the connected drive so i deisconnected the drive. The message said to hit any key to reboot...which I did and now....nothing.  WIndows doesn't start...nothing at all on the screen...no clicks or pops.  The only thing that happens is that the little indicator lights on the left front of the chassis come on.  The lights next to the on button do nothing (they normally flutter off and on during start up). Then I can shut it down by holding down the on button and there is a slight flicker on the montior screen when she shuts off. Also I do still hear a beep when I connect the power cable. Other than that she's dead.  Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

BKR

Message Edited by bkreed on 07-05-2009 02:49 PM
KalvinKlein

Re: My S10 won't boot up

Hi,

remove the powerplug
remove the battery
hold down the power button for around 30-40  seconds to discharge capacitors (hardware reset)
Wait  a minute ...
put the battery in   
put the powerplug in

sincerely KalvinKlein

bkreed

YOU FIXED IT!

Vielen Dank aus New York!

BKR

What's DOS?
alfredolujambio

KalvinKlein,   Just to let you all know that your "remove-battery" tip DID solve the problem.   Thank you!     ps.  I like your jeans, with "C".

What's DOS?
raimundopardo

I had this same problem with my S10e and the solution worked just wonderful. Does anybody know if this is recurrent problem?.

My S10 is brand new, out of the box (I bought it just a few hours ago) and would like to know if I should complain about this or just live with it.

Thank you

Raimundo

Paper Tape
saho

I have a S10-2, and mine has had this problem 4 or 5 times since I bought it 3 months ago, the last time this morning, which is why I logged onto the forum.  I'd like to know if this is something I will have to live with periodically, because it is very inconvenient.  It seems to happen when the netbook gets overly warm, so I have been very careful about where I leave it (but it is obviously still doing it...).  When it happens to me, the netbook has either gone automatically into sleep mode or I have put it into sleep mode and when I try to wake it up the computer does nothing and the hard drive in use light does not come on.  Turning the computer off and then on again with the power button does not work (it will turn off and when I press the power key again it will light up but the computer still does nothing), but when I remove the battery and put it back in, then turn the computer on, it boots up...  anyone have any info for me?  This computer is my primary and I really need it to work...

802.11n
yus9

Me too!

I've lived for 6 months with the same problem on my S10.

Perhaps every 2 weeks it happens.

Not consistantly, but it seems to happen when I close the display,

plug in the power supply, then open the display after some period of time.

I am sure it never happens if I plug in the power supply before closing the display.

I suspect it is a problem with Lenovo's rather over-the-top Power Management software.

Can I safely remove Lenovo's and rely on XP's built in power management?

Paper Tape
saho

Yus9, that may be the problem with yours, but I have installed a dual boot setup (Ubuntu and XP) and have had this issue with both operating systems.  Lenovo's Power Management does not carry over to Ubuntu.  My husband just updated the bios (the update was released by Lenovo last month) hoping that this might be a solution.  We'll see....

802.11n
yus9

Hum.. interesting.

Similar symptom under Unix.

Thought for sure it was a bug in Lenovo's Power management software.

I have dual-boot too, BTW. XP and Chinese XP Pro. 

Never happened in the Chinese XP, which is not  used very often.

And yea.. I've come to believe that the Battery Removal Reset Routine is 

a quick-fix for many different problems that would likely be impossible 

to identify and cure.

KalvinKlein

Hi,

3 harddrives ...One Main ... XPPro with Quickstart +Windows 7+ Ubuntu 9.04

One with XPH+SL OsX ... One for Testscenario Factory Install ... and so on...

Independent... over a year ... hmmm ... 6-7 times must do the trick....and independent over night ..next day ... after hard using batterie or sleep or hybernation or shutdown...  thats what i can say ...

doesnt have to do with systems & status at all ... used more at plugged in (for community testbase :smileyhappy:  ... as on battery...

sincerely KalvinKlein