Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Angry_Midget

Re: S10-3 Ram issue / S10-3s 2GB Memory Upgrade didnt work

jfaithi wrote:

Can anyone confirm this works for s10-3 model: 0647-35U. I would assume so but a confirmation would be helpful.

Looking closer at my tag on the back, it only says 0647 for the model, so I would assume they are all the same.  I got the model number 0647-35U from the website when I bought it

I have the 0647-35U and the 2-GB Kingston value ram that was mentioned works fine in mine.

Paper Tape
ayashar

I bought my machine from Fry's in Los Angeles in August, and it has been a nightmare trying to find a working 2GB memory upgrade. I bought 5 or 6 SODIMM cards only to return them for refund. I made countless calls to Lenovo support, spending hours on the phone only to get nowhere.

Like ifaithi, my S10-3 only shows "O647" on the tag. There are no additional numbers. And there are no additional numbers on my model - it is just S10-3. However, I can provide some additional information that should nail down the model.

My Ideapad was made in China, and the manufacturing date is  2010/06/25.

The 1GB SODIMM card that came with my machine was made by Samsung. The part number for that card is: M471B2873FHS-CH9.

Naturally, I don't want to buy another SODIMM card that does not work. Can anyone here confirm the purchase of a 2GB card that will be compatible with my machine? Thus far, I have not even found a card that fits correctly in the slot (with both the left and the right locking pins snapping into place).

Punch Card
treznorx

I bought My S10-3 at Fry's in late august as well.  The only place I have found the full model number is on the box.  It's on a long white label.

The label on mine only says 0647

The one that worked for me is the one posted above.  It has now worked for two different versions of the s10-3. If you still have your original box look at the long white label.  Above th bar code at the bottom of the label mine says:

(1S)MT/MOD:06472AU  It uses ddr3  The module I posted above works great.

It was hard to get the module to snap in all the way.  I had to press fairly hard and snap the clip in manually.

Mine was manufactured 3 days after yours.

Paper Tape
ayashar

Treznorx, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I do not have my original box. I left it behind in the USA - probably tossed it in the trash. However, I do have the information on the 1GB SODIMM card that came with the machine. Do you still have your original SODIMM card? If so, could you please be so kind as to check the manufacturer and part number on that card. If that is the same as mine, then I will know that the Kingston card you mention will also work for me.

To repeat, the 1GB card that came with my machine is a Samsung with part number M471B2873FHS-CH9.

Regarding the card that you mention (KVR1333D3S8S9/2G), normally I would be very happy to get it. I have had good experience with Kingston. However, whenever I mention Kingston to the Lenovo support staff, they warn me off. They claim that there are compatibility issues. For that reason only, I would be more inclined to buy a Corsair or some other brand. But if your 1GB SODIMM card matches mine, I will buy the Kingston only to be done with this problem.

By the way, this Kingston card is 204 PIN. Lenovo support specified that I need a 200 PIN card. That, however, never made much sense as DDR3 cards are generally 204 PIN.

Fanfold Paper
linuxuser27

ayashar, I have been having this issue for a while as well.  I was actually told to use Kingston but had nothing but problems.  I just ordered the KVR1333D3S8S9/2G ram on NewEgg.  I am hopeful as Angry_Midget has the same model as me.  I am going to point this out because I find it kind of funny.  The previous ram I bought that did not work was Kingston and from NewEgg.  Its serial number was KVR1333D3S9/2G.  It did not work.  I am hoping that the two extra letters does help something :smileyhappy:  I will post when I confirm.

In conclusion:

KVR1333D3S8S9/2G <--  Should work

KVR1333D3S9/2G <-- Does not work

Paper Tape
ayashar

linuxuser27:  Thank you for taking the trouble to let everyone know your results. Because I am not currently in the USA, it is very hard - and time consuming - for me to experiment.

One special request. When you replace your factory-installed 1GB card, please look at the label and let us know the manufacturer and part number for that card. For me, an identical 1GB card will be the best way to be sure that a 2GB card that works for you would also work for me. I have no way to find out which specific 0647 Ideapad that I own, because the label on my machine does not specify this and I discarded the box in which the net book came.

Just to repeat, what I have is a Samsung SODIMM with part number M471B2873FHS-CH9.

Blue Screen Again
zimtech

i called up kingston and they said KTL-TP3BS/2G will work on S10-3s.

this is what they reply by email

From: Mary***@kingston.com.cn [mailto:Mary***@kingston.com.cn]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:14 PM
To: *****

Cc: technical_support@kingston.com.cn
Subject: Re: RAM Question

"Thank you for contacting kingston Technical Support.
According to your description,the memory module,KVR1333D3S8S9/2G is ok in Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3s.
But for better compatibility,we recommend the module:KTL-TP3BS/2G for your host system. "

Punch Card
treznorx

The difference between those two is that one is Single Rank ( the one I ordered ) and the other one is not sigle rank.

On my stick of ram there is only one row of chips, all the chips that I have seen reported to fail are dual rank meaning two rows of chips on the dimm.

This was reported to be teh solution for a toshiba with the same processor and chipset.

I believe that this is what is causing the confusion.  It seems to be a quirk with the cpu/chipset combination.  HP changed the specs on some of thier netbooks to limit the max ram to 1GB because of the same issue.

The KTL-TP3BS/2G is also a single rank module, and it is not Value Ram so it might be better quality, however it is twice the price I paid for my stick from newegg.

The reason I chose the particually stick from new egg was that it was the only single rank module I could find on any site for a relatively cheap price.

I suppose the fact that it worked could just be coincidence, but I believe it was the result of the module being single rank.

Punch Card
CMBC

SOLUTION!!!!!!

I am using the S10-3 0647-48U Model.

I ordered the Kingston RAM that was previously mentioned a couple posts earlier than this one here. KTL-TP3BS/2G. This is NOT ValueRam. It is also SINGLE RANKED.

You can get it from http://ncix.com/products/?sku=740617176230&vpn=KTL-TP3BS%2F2G&manufacture=Kingston or http://www.getprice.com.au/Kingston-KTL-TP3BS-2G-2GB-Memory-DDR3-1333MHz-KTL-TP3BS-2G-Gpnc_42--46861... among others I assume.

It works. And it didn't even have a problem with one of the clips not latching in. Worked perfectly, first time.

NOTE: When I examined the stick of RAM, it actually says that it's a HYNIX RAM. I assumed that Kingston, Corsair, Samsung, etc, produced their own RAM. Apparently not. Anyway, just as the solution to this problem says from here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/DDR2-and-DDR3-memory-types-on-S10-3-IdeaPad/ta... at the bottom, it says Hynix or Micron RAM will work. I was under the assumption that Hynix and Micron were just another brand, similar to Kingston and Corsair. But whatever. Either way, this stick of RAM works.

In addition, I've been told to stay away from Kingston ValueRAM. Yes it's cheaper, but a lot of nerds and computer store guys just say stay away from it. I've never used it, just throwing that out there. I see a few people report success with the ValueRAM sticks. So ya. Anyway, I'm finished with these boards hopefully :smileyvery-happy: have fun guys.

Paper Tape
jfaithi

I can confirm works and recognized on system:

S10-3 0647-35U 2GB SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Crucial (PC3 10600) Model CT25664BC1339