Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Re: My NEW!!! LENOVO S10-3T. My Best Buy ever!!!

ElCamino, congratulations on your new S10-3t!!!  Try to post some comparison notes for it if you already experienced some netbooks before this.  Your heat specs will be really welcome.  When I was using a Compaq B1256, a 12" notebook, I was able to find a site for fans of the unit and they had a program to check heat and clockspeed.  If you have one, please try to run a test for it using just  internet on the background and a separate one for running on MS Office apps.  A battery life tester will be very useful also.

I noticed when I started using the S10-3T with just minor programs installed, speed was fast and responsive.  Then I installed some peripheral apps like for my printer and 3G USB modem and started syning my iTunes apps, I observed slower performance.  Then I remembered I changed my battery setting from Balanced to Energy Star - maybe this was the culprit.  So I returned it to Balance which is the recommended setting and everything is fine again.  The (Recommended) clause has a reason after all!  Best to follow it if you can.

My experience with the battery life is not so good so far.  Well, I can't say yet if it's that short because I sync my iPhone a lot of times lately so the iPhone may be sucking the juice from the battery. 

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Hi kwilliUS!  Welcome to the Lenovo Community!

Whenever I purchase a new gadget, I try to read up on as much reviews as I can and imagine how it fits in my daily computing requirements.  This is my 4th IBM/Lenovo unit.  The first was the small 10" X61.  During its heydays, I think 1998-99s, it was the smallest IBM thinkpad.  I am always on the road and needed aa portable and lightweight computer.  It was superb in all aspects but since it was small and innovative and nouveau, it was stolen.  Boohoo! 

Then I got a used 15-incher IBM Thinkpad 390x.  It was very sturdy but was getting left behind with all the processor innovations.  The unit is still with me, using it as an Office encoding machine for Excel and Word 97 or 2000.  Still works great, a bit slow but still great.  I can't close the lid anymore as I broke the right hinge which was entirely my fault since I tried to service it on my own.  But even with the broken hinge, the 15-inch LCD screen is still bright and lovely.  No dead pixels and noblinks or pauses.  You can't do any sturdier than this.

Next was the S10 (first generation).  No problems with speed there.  It was a fast little computer but the keyboard was too cramped for me.  I don't know my hand size in U.S. size but I'm a gal, medium-built and 5 feet tall.  I can say I have small hands but the S10 gives me the cramps.  When using at extended periods on Word, the muscles on my pinky fingers get tense and I have to stop and do finger acrobatics which is just tiring and painful.

About my usage, I only do the minimum of work on my computer.  Mostly Microsoft Office like Word and Office, a bit of Powerpoint every now and then.  I do a lot of surfing the web using Mozilla Firefox and sometimes Opera.  I do iTunes and have a big music collection.  I read ebook also but read them now on my iPhone.  I think you will love the S10-3T for ebook since you can set view on protrait mode.

Actually, I have been excited with the Apple iPad.  I love the multitouch of my iPhone and the iPad sounds so promising.  Then I read it can't multi-task and I was thinking Word and Excel may be difficult even if Datablitz has an app viewer and editor for it.  So Lenovo S10-3T is the best marriage of computer and tablet function in one compact netbook.  With this, you can do away with not bringing along a cumbersome mouse since you can just point on the screen.  I suggest you install a screen protector plastic laminate to prevent scratches.  I installed one for only $2.50 and the touch response remained the same.  And also, the main reason I opted for this beauty is because it supports Flash videos which Apple doesnt. 

A WORD OF CAUTION!  When you swivel the screen, try to be careful like hold the lower portion with both hands as you turn.  The plastic body of the screen doesnt look so sturdy and since its a capacitive glass, I'm afraid its not as flexible as the LCD.  I dont have any technical review yet to back this observation but just to be on the safe side, don't twist it holding on the glass.

Serial Port
ELCamino

Thanks, I will post a short review of the S10-3t, and some pictures of the temperatures. I am enjoying this little device. One thing I can say is, you'll get more out of the S10-3t because you can switch to a tablet if you want to mark up short items.  

KalvinKlein

Hi, found this S10-3t Unboxing Video  at netbooknews.com ...

sincerely KalvinKlein

laphoot

Hi there,

anyone knows if there's a model difference in s10-3t?

coz  i found one at bestbuy 449.99$ (not mentioned color tho) which have N450, 1GB & 250GB with 8cell.

but i looked thru lenovo.com n what i found is

06514EU with available 2colors (cosmic wonder/night)  and the price is 549.99$ after discount

(u can get additional 15% with presidents day sale) that is 467.50$ which is still expensive than at bestbuy.

but the spec there is, N450, 1GB, 160GB with 4cell only.. (lower than that in bestbuy)

anyone has any idea??

thanks.

Serial Port
dlescal

I saw these differences too and the Lenovo customization is non-existant!  I ended up ordered from Tigerdirect.com.  Their price was $499 plus they are giving 8% Bing Cashback ($41) brining the shipped amount to $499.99 but final total just over $460.

This had the bigger hard drive and 8 cell battery, though they list it as white.  I think it'll actually be the black version though.  Expected to arrive on Feb 17th.  I'll let you know.

I'm also curious about the SIM slot under the battery and what (if anything) can be done with it???

Dave

Serial Port
ELCamino

I posted some pictures here http://s531.photobucket.com/albums/dd358/HGElCamino/Lenovo%20S10-3t/  and posted a small review here http://hggadgets.blogspot.com/. Didn't go into to much detail for now but liking the S10-3t very solid little Tablet. By the way I did the review photos, and the review using the S10-3t so that I can see how well it performed. Got to say very impressed with it. I just got to check into getting the browser to load up a little faster and respond a little better. I know its not the connection here its the way it takes a few extra seconds to open pages and let you start scrolling. :smileyhappy:

Serial Port
ELCamino

Dlescal, I posted some info here http://hggadgets.blogspot.com/ about the SIM Card slot. Hope this helps until you get your S10-3t on Wednesday. :smileyhappy: by the way Congrats on your S10-3t and hopefully you post your thoughts about it. Everyone will have different opinions, so it would be great to have yours here to help others that might might be on the edge of buying one.
Punch Card
kwilliUS

So, for those of you who have had your S10-3t for a few days....how do you like the tablet feature?  What do you find you use it for?  How do you like the screen?  Do you have any issues with glare?

Counting the days, but also wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and get the S10-3.  I've not had a touch screen before and not certain I really NEED it.  So, when I ask what you use the tablet feature, I really do want to know what I could use it for...besides reading e-books.   There is a huge price difference and since Lenovo isn't going to ship mine for several more days I should probably double check to be sure I've made the right decision.  Plus, mine direct from Lenovo only has 1 GB RAM and 160 GB harddrive.  Many of you have done better.

Making decisions has never been my strong point!!! Can you tell? =)

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

hi kwilliUS!  About the tablet feature, I think it will also be a good choice to get the s10-3T than just the S10-3 since the computing world seems to be gravitating towards the touchscreen technology.  With this in mind, software developers will be producing cool applications to use this feature.  For now, what I can think of as a simple PC user is that with the touchscreen I get to do away with bringing a mouse with me since I can just touch the screen when the arrow keys and touchpad is just a chore to use.  Then there's the possibility of being able to draw/edit photos by just buying an additional stylus.  And of course there's the plus factor of having other people give you a second look because you have this novel little gadget where you just poke around with. 

I guess it's very natural for us to feel and touch things and this touch technology is the next frontier to computer tech.  Now, if computer manufacturer will pull through with this concept then at least you don't need to upgrade or change your netbook anytime soon.  That is what I thought when I decided on this little thing.