Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Re: My NEW!!! LENOVO S10-3T. My Best Buy ever!!!

Hi Iaphoot,

Here in the Asia Pacific region, Lenovo's first release for the s10-3T for the Philippines is as follows:

FOR MY RAINFLOWER PEBBLE MODEL

Intel Atom Processor N450 (1.66GHz, 667MHz, 512k L2)

Intel 945GSE

250GB SATAHDD (540 rpm)

10.1" SD LED Glare & Multi-Touch

Dolby 2.0 and 2 Internal stereo speakers

Intel GMA 3150 graphics card

10/100 Ethernet, Lenovo b/g/n wifi, Bluetooth connection

1.3 Mega Pixel with Veriface webcam

1 ExpressCard, 2 usb 2.0, RJ45, 6 in 1 Multi-Card Reader, VGA, Mic, Dolby Headphone

4 Cell Li-lon ( but they list it in their specs as 6 cell because they say that the usage/effect is like a 6-cell batt)

Windows 7 Starter Kit

There is also the Meteoric Black model which has the exact same specs but with just plain black on the outer lid.

The list price here in Manila is approximately $653.00 USD but I got mine for $565.50 USD.  This has limited international warranty for 1 year.  Pricing is better in the US and I also thought of the option to buy in US then have a friend carry it in for me but I might have problems with the warranty as Lenovo practices regional warranties.

Hope this helps.

Paper Tape
LukeWarm

Howdy, congrats on your purchase, looks like a fine machine. Just wanted to confirm that multi-touch is not funcitonal on this model as it is loaded with W7 starter and not the more touch friendly W7 Premium. Also curious about the stylus option you mentioned. I was under the impression a capacitive screen (like that included with this PC) will not work with a stylus. 

The stylus issue (and the current lack of W7 Premium) is the only thing holding back my purchase of this machine. I understand capicitive screens are more sensitive and accurate than resistive screens, but the (potential) lack of stylus functionality could be a deal-breaker.

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

dlescal:

About the SIM slot, I also tried putting in a 3G SIM but it doesn't work.  Just the same with the s10-2 it has a SIM holder but you still have to install a 3G modem and antennae.  The link below shows a successful installation of third party modem to run and use the SIM with s10-2 and I think it's more or less the same for our 3T. 

Installing 3G modem on Lenovo S10-2

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Hi LukeWarm,

The stylus I'm using is the Touchpensys Zero II stylus initially meant for my iPhone which is multitouch.  It's true that using a stylus pen meant for resistive screens won't work.  I tried and it won't. 

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Hi ElCamino:

Great review and nice photos.  You mentioned that you upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Does it enable more use of the screen?  How different is the tablet or touchscreen use comparing Win7 Starter and Ultimate or say Premium.  I'm still at the packaged OS of Win7 and don't see any use of upgrading yet to Premium or Ultimate.

Also, you upgraded to 2GB of RAM.  Is there really a difference with the speed between 1GB and 2GB RAM?  I have a Toshiba NB200 with 2GB RAM and hated the speed of the thing.  Compared to this 3T with only 1GB, this 3T is faster.  Of course, maybe due to its faster processor.  I'm holding myself from upgrading the RAM as previous experience dictated.  So now, I'm thinking which item to upgrade first, the RAM or the Operating System which is quite pricey here.

Your thoughts please... Thanks!

Serial Port
ELCamino

bittenbythebuy, how well can you ink with the Stylus your using? I have a Pogo Sketch Stylus and doesn't work well at all. Seems that the tip is to soft for inking on the 3t. It needs something a little bit more firm, like your finger tip. With my finger I can write with light pressure.

Serial Port
ELCamino

Thanks bittenbythebug I appreciate it. About upgrading to Win 7 Ultimate, yes it gives you all the Tablet features and Multi-Touch as well. I only used the 3t with Win Starter Edition for about a day just to get the feel of Starter Edition. If you upgrade to Windows 7 Premium and above you will get all the Tablet features and the Multi-Touch. Lenovo included a program called Cando Touch, which gives users with the Starter Edition some touch and believe inking in some programs as well.

RAM upgrade does make a difference only if you tend to have several programs open and running several tabs open in a browser. With the stock 1GB, open several programs would feel a little sluggish, but now with 2GB it still feels very responsive. I usually work with the following programs open and running and with the 2GB I have no problem. Word, Excel, IE8 (4 to 7 tabs open), Chrome (2 to 5 tabs open), Outlook 2010, OneNote 2010, and also have AVG Anti-Virus running. The only thing I do notice and have to track down why IE8 is kind of slow on the S10-3t for some reason. I can see that link loads but you can't click on anything for about 2 to 3 seconds before you can scroll the page, even though you see that the page has loaded. I compared it to my MSI Wind and don't see that problem, so it must be some setting that it is making it do this.

I have been testing the 3t on the road since I travel from jobsite to jobsite for work, and having to be able to ink in OneNote is what I really would like to be able to do. Also my daughter will be taking the 3t to College to be able to do some of her work while in class, plus the tablet features and great battery life she would be able to go without carrying the power supply.

I would recommend that if you don't run as many applications as me at once, then I recommend to upgrade to Windows 7 Premium and above. This way you can get all the Tablet features for your S10-3t.

I will try to make a video later this week and post it how the S10-3t runs under Windows 7 Ultimate. I have several things to test on the S10-3t before doing the video. Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
LukeWarm

Thanks for the info., are you able to do any actual writing or drawing with the stylus? If so I'd love to see some pics if you get a chance.

Serial Port
bittenbythebug

Thank you.  Your inputs were very helpful.  I Haven/t really tried inking yet.  Just tried the pen if it worked.  Will try to explore that.

I don't have so much apps open like you do.  Just 3-4 programs, say Word, Excel, Firefox browser and sometimes iTunes on the side.  Please do post your video so I can decide if I do need the upgrade to Premium.

Thanks a lot!

Fanfold Paper
laphoot

Thanks bittenbythebug..