Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Offler
Accepted Solution

S10-3t Tweaking Blog

Hey guys. Since I own my Lenovo S10-3t for almost year and I was quite successfull in making some modifications to it based on famed JesseB Andersen blog I would like to share all my  tweaks and mods. Especially the tweaks for multimedia, gaming with touchscreen and browsing.

This will contain succesfull instalations of:

- Avermedia A316 tv tuner, using ProgDVB application

- Broadcom Crystal HD card in *15 variant. Everything from new bios to software usage

- My own Autohotkey script intended for switching touchscreen from 16:10 profile to 4:3 profile - most useful with old games if you wish to keep aspect ratio.

- Other game tweaks - like virtual CD/DVD software which will allow you to play games without optical disc drive.

- Opera Mobile for windows

This topic/blog will be updated from time to time in order to keep links for the tweaks available. All modifications here will be properly tested and working and each if there is any risk on the tweak/mod it will be mentioned at the beginning of the topic (eg. voiding the warranty, risk of damage and so on).

First I will post the link to the original Jesse's blog:

www.lenovos103t.com

The almighty source or all my knowledge about my netbook. 

Second link i will provide is the Bios without whitelist:

http://paulsandman.com/lenovo/IdeaPad%20S10-3t_24CN62WW_no_whitelist_v6.zip

The bios is working at least for me. With It I was able to mount Broadcoms Crystal HD card. In theory, all devices you try to install inside your S10-3t should work. This bios will void your warranty and of course brings a risk that your bios will die. There was also a topic which mentioned how to restore damaged bios. If some of you has the link it will be great to add it right after this post.

Enjoy and stay tuned.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Atom N550, 2gb Ram, OCZ Vertex 2E 180G, Avermedia A316, Broadcom Crystal HD, Samsung Blu-Ray USB drive, Edimax Wifi EW-7811Un.
Serial Port
Offler

Re: S10-3t Tweaking Blog

[ Edited ]

Warcraft II

And playing it on touchscreen

So lets begin with something easier which does not affect your warranty.

Do you remember Warcraft II? ´This great game passed me when it was released and for next years I had no ocassion to buy one. Some time ago I have found an official release of this game on CD titled as "Warcraft II Battlenet Edition" with datadisk included. Today I will use it as an good example of installing such older game on you Lenovo S10-3t.

1. All you need at the beginning is any optical drive. And perform installation. There are no  problems right now. As you see the game runs quite well even without tweaks if you use a mouse and you keep your optical drive connected to the netbook.

a) I want to play it anywhere, anytime without the optical drive.

There is a freeware software called MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD drive. It can create images of your games and then load a virtual CD drive. As a result you can play Warcraft II without any extra equipment.

Link:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

b) So I dont need optical drive anymore, but I want to play on touchscreen.

And here begin the trouble. Intel GMA 3150 support three modes how it works with Aspect Ratio. Warcraft II is runnning in resolution 640x480. Thats Aspect ratio 4:3. IdeaPad S10-3t  has a display with native resolution of 1024x600. Thats aspect ratio 16:10. Thats a quite known.

But even your touchscreen has an aspect ratio 16:10. If you start the game Intel graphics has three possibilities how to display it.

1. Fill the screen

Touchscreen will work fine, but the image will be stretched

2.  Center screen

Image will shrink to its native resolution of 640x480, mapped with pixel by pixel presision. Tourscreen will also work well but the image will be very very small, which will complicate the usage of the touchscreen.

3. Keep aspect ratio

Now the image has correct size and aspect ratio, but when you use the touchscreen you will notice a biig problem. The cursor will not appear exactly where you want.

And here is the way how to fix it.

First you will need two separate touchscreen calibration profiles. One for 16:10 and other for 4:3. Windows 7 stores those profiles in System Registry, but does not allow you to have multiple profiles for multiple situations.

Open Control Panel > Tablet PC settings. Click Calibrate and follow the instructions. Once done start Regedit. Search for this entry and export it: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TabletPC\LinearityData]. Now you have exported your linearity data for aspect ratio 16:10

Then select display resolution to 800x600, while the intel graphics is set to "Keep aspect ratio"  mode. Reset the setting, and then calibrate the image again. Confirm that the new calibration works well on this system setting and repeat the exporting. This time you have exported data for 4:3 aspect ratio.

Here is my 43asp.reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TabletPC\LinearityData]
"vid_2087&pid_0a01"=hex:a0,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,80,\
  00,00,00,80,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,04,00,99,01,22,02,50,10,38,06,00,08,22,\
  02,c8,14,00,06,00,78,22,02,08,6a,68,02,66,7e,22,02,78,70,30,03,99,01,aa,0a,\
  48,10,08,0e,00,08,aa,0a,18,15,28,0d,00,78,aa,0a,e0,6a,28,0c,66,7e,aa,0a,20,\
  70,50,0b,99,01,55,75,d8,0f,b8,73,00,08,55,75,f0,14,68,75,00,78,55,75,00,6a,\
  d8,75,66,7e,55,75,20,71,b8,74,99,01,dd,7d,68,11,38,7c,00,08,dd,7d,08,15,e8,\
  7d,00,78,dd,7d,f0,6b,b8,7e,66,7e,dd,7d,b8,70,60,7e

and here is 1610asp.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TabletPC\LinearityData]
"vid_2087&pid_0a01"=hex:a0,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,80,\
  00,00,00,80,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,04,00,40,01,22,02,c8,03,a8,03,40,06,22,\
  02,38,07,d0,05,c0,79,22,02,48,79,50,03,c0,7e,22,02,a0,7e,90,05,40,01,aa,0a,\
  b0,02,68,0e,40,06,aa,0a,98,07,20,0d,c0,79,aa,0a,08,7a,00,0e,c0,7e,aa,0a,c8,\
  7d,88,0c,40,01,55,75,d8,01,f0,73,40,06,55,75,38,07,00,75,c0,79,55,75,e0,78,\
  e8,74,c0,7e,55,75,70,7e,58,73,40,01,dd,7d,b0,03,78,7d,40,06,dd,7d,98,07,28,\
  7e,c0,79,dd,7d,b0,79,58,7d,c0,7e,dd,7d,b0,7c,e8,76

in order to switch between dynamically those profiles you have to stop tabletinput service, insert your registry and start tablet input service again.

The best solution I have found is Autohotkey and its scripting possibilities link:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Here is a sample script  I have created:

#SingleInstance force
SC120 ::
Mon2 = 0
Mon2Right = 0

SysGet, Mon2, Monitor

If Mon2Right<=800 
{
TrayTip, Detection script, Aspect ratio 4:3, 10,1
runwait sc stop tabletinputservice ,,hide
runwait regedit.exe /s c:\43asp.reg
runwait sc start tabletinputservice ,,hide
}
Else
{
TrayTip, Detection script, Aspect ratio 16:10, 10,1
runwait sc stop tabletinputservice ,,hide
runwait regedit.exe /s c:\1610asp.reg
runwait sc start tabletinputservice ,,hide
}

SC120 is the "mute" button next to your screen. When you press the button while the script is running it will detect Display resolution and select the appropriate touchscreen profile. The script is unfinished - profile files have to be on drive c:\ in order to make it work properly. I have removed the sc120 line and added ExitApp at the end and exported the script into exe file and used Steve Perrin screen rotation program to start execute the script with the first button. Autohotkey has this possibiliity.  

Now everytime you start a Warcraft II just press the mute button while the script is running and the aspect ratio of your touchscreen will change.

This touchscreen script is not finished yet, but might give you the idea how to make programs work better. And trust me playing Wacraft II on touchscreen is very impressive. 

Same touchscreen tweak can be applied to any application which runs natively in 4:3. It works for any game if you decide to play it in its original non-stretched resolution.

Has been tested with:

Heroes of Might And Magic III and IV

Starcraft 1

I also tried Baldur's Gate. Even with proper setting you will have some trouble when scrolling. Even when intuitive does not work well.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Atom N550, 2gb Ram, OCZ Vertex 2E 180G, Avermedia A316, Broadcom Crystal HD, Samsung Blu-Ray USB drive, Edimax Wifi EW-7811Un.
Serial Port
Offler

[ Edited ]

Tv Tuner and application for touchscreen

If you read JesseBAndersen's blog you surely know how to install TV tuner. Here is the link for the reference.

http://www.lenovos103t.com/search/label/TV%20Tuner

No matter if you decide to use USB stick, or internal tuner all you need is good viewing application.

Windows Media Center has great support when it comes to tuners and even for touchscreen, however when playing it uses your harddrive for timeshift buffer. If you have SSD drive installed its not very good for it, if you have standard HDD it will cost you more battery.

I have tried ProgDVB with my Avermedia A316 and I have to say I like it.

http://www.progdvb.com/

This program supports DVB-T (not sure of ATSC or other) signal receiving. You can watch TV or listen radios transmitted via DVB-T and has a rich set of other features.

You may enable or disable timeshifting, select your favourite codec, renderer, even demuxer. Even when it is not as touchscreen friendly as Media Center it is skinnable and with skin editor so you can create your own graphic design. It supports Broadcom Crystal HD for decoding of video, even for HD channels.

Very interesting feature is realtime Signal strenght indicator.

Those features allow you effectively turn on or turn off many functions which affect battery life. With this software I have archieved 5 hours running time from large 8cell  battery while watching TV with decent backlight on display when timeshift buffer was turned off.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Serial Port
Offler

Blu-Ray on S10-3t

Once you have Broadcom CrystalHD your netbook is ready to play HD movies, but is also capable to play original Blu-Ray movies?

First I tried PowerDVD9 which was bundled with my Samsung BD drive. However attempt to play the disc ended with message "graphic card not detected" automatically assuming that my system is not able to play blu-rays.

Therefore I was forced to look for different solution and here it is:

Media player Classic - Home Cinema

LAV Filters

AnyDVD HD

MPC is well known media player. you can also use VLC. LAV filters will import needed codecs, but only one is needed and its the Splitter. AnyDVD HD is software which is normally used to create rips of Blurays, but its features also allow to decrypt the bluray for normal viewing.

With this set of applications and filters I managed succesfully to play blu-ray disc. Quality of image was slightly downgraded to 1280x720. This is caused by CrystalHD card. So if you are HD freak, this solution will allow you to play the disc, but for full quality you will need different form of decoding.  On small netbooks monitor its not visible, but even on fullHD monitor i had trouble to find any difference between the fullHD and downscaled image from Broadcom card.

Playback is flawless. For video decoding I used Broadcom CrystalHD. LAV filter works fine with the audio, but the sound is bit silent. Internal AC3 filter from MPC did the trick. Only small glitch I need to fix is with subtitles. When they were displayed there was visible small framedrop...

Also when it comes to AnyDVD HD - be noticed that this paid program has been banned in Germany and cannot be sold. 

Enjoy and stay tuned.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Serial Port
Offler

[ Edited ]

Most netbook owners complained to me that they cannot find any usage for the netbook.

Well. How to use such netbook more effectively? Mine can play TV, radio, music, media files, so i dont need standalone radio, Tv or DVD player. But can I replace my alarm clock? Starting up a radio at 7:00AM is the solution i look for.

I found "Alarm Clock of Justice".

Link:

http://www.forrestheller.com/alarm2_2/

This application allows to setup an alarm which can start a program, open an URL or open media file. This application can do all these things and even wake up you computer from hibernation. However to do so some things have to be adjusted.

Usually password is required upon waking up the PC. You will have to disable it. And also Lenovo S10-3t is able to wake up only when it is plugged in power.

Its not a problem to convince windows to display current clock. There are many ways how to archieve it. Simplest way is to install any clock screen saver available.

To use the netbook as clock just create special power plan when the system does not sleep, hibernate or turn off the screen - just turn on the screen saver. You can also create an icon on your desktop to startup the screen saver. This "clock" power plan should work only while the netbook is on power adapter, while it is expected that you are substituting more electronics from your home, but that is also easy to archieve while

Now my Lenovo S10-3t is standing on the table in my room, plugged on adapter. On its display is current time and date. At 7:00am it wakes me up. If i want to it can play music as any normal radio or CD player at the same time. Skype is running in the background so in the matter of seconds the netbook changes from alarmclock with radio into telephone/videophone.

In the evening I can watch TV, play dvd/bluray with movie and of course internet is just few clicks away.

So many electronic devices in single device with total power consumption no more than 20 watts... Thats effective i say...

Lenovo S10-3t:
Serial Port
Offler

XMBC 11 released

few days ago...

This simple media center application allows you to view images and videos and play music in nice graphical environment which is easy to maintain even if you use touchscreen.

If you have Broadcom CrystalHD this software also supports it.

http://xbmc.org/

I just wonder if this app can run blu-rays. DVDs seems fine.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Serial Port
Offler

Hello again.

Jesse B. Andersen has moved his work around Ideapad S10-3t on the following link

http://www.jessebandersen.com/2012/03/lenovo-ideapad-s10-3t-all-posts.html

Enjoy.

Lenovo S10-3t:
Serial Port
Offler

I was looking for more possibilities how for good browsing on Windows 7 based tablets, but I was quite dissapointed.

Most solutions I have found were desktop based browsers with several upgrades for the touchscreens, but most of these solutions was only partial.

One day I was digging more about Opera until I found Opera Mobile for Windows 7

Link to the browser itself:

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/Win7/1100/ 

Here is link to Opera forums where is some discussion about the matter:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1147652 

This Opera works like a miracle on touchscreens, its quite fast, autozooms when you havent clicked right. However it does not support flash and currently is not being developed. Bit shame.

At all its the fastest browser for touchscreen with quite good compatibility and quite rich featured, and well-tailored for touchscreen as S10-3t has.  

Lenovo S10-3t:
Punch Card
jakfish

[ Edited ]

Good find, offler.  I hadn't known that Opera Mobile would be good for desktop.  In both Win7 and Linux, I use Opera 12 with the touch screen pan extension.  It's the best I've found (IE 9 is awful), but you're right, it's far from perfect for a S10-3t.

In desktop settings, I've widened the scroll bar and the active title bar, which makes things more friendly for the finger.  But recently, I've been playing with the Android x-86 port specifically for the S10-3t.  Now *that's* finger-friendly and very quick to get around.  Dolphin broswer is a good one.  But Android has limited word processing, etc. (Softmaker won't run on non-ARM OS's) and like all things Linux, it burns hotter than Windows so there's a lot of fan activity.

Jake 

Paper Tape
GaMeFaCe

^ the new android build for the s10-3t just came out! @,@

( Android-x86-4.0-RC2 )

http://www.android-x86.org/download

also with the no whitelist bios... the "HB-VD920"

http://www.amazon.com/HB-VD920-Broadcom-Enhanced-Hardware-Accelerator/dp/B0050QJUP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=ele...

works like a charm in the 1/2 slot, just:

-flash the bios no whitelist,(thank you for the link in original post + )

-remove the stock wifi card. (it didn't have blue tooth anyway...)

-remove the spacer from the HB-VD920 and install into the 1/2 slot

-install drivers for the decoder

-install codecs http://www.cccp-project.net/

and play 1080p 4gb+ movies no lag ^,^

> I've installed a Realtek RTL8723AE bt/wifi combo card in the full slot but it boots up disabled

and must enable to use, won't enable via android T,T

I think it's a bios thing...

^,^