Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
AndrewDC

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

Lenovoold,

80*C is to higher value.  2 days ago i made specific test. I taped up all ventilation holes and ran the computer.

When cpu was set to low, temperature didn't rise over 42/43*C even when i did severals things at the same time.

When cpu was set to high, temperature didn't rise over 55*C while surfing, emailing, reading.

So whithout ventilation, temperatures were good. I think, that the fan should start at 48*C and stop at 41*C. 7 degrees difference should enlarge the time, when fan doesn't work. Now we have only 3 degrees differencje (between 38 and 41*), so it's to little.

We can not require so high temperatures(80) because it may short the cpu's lifetime. It's possible, that many machines overheat and crash. 

Paper Tape
accujazz

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

56 bios version for S10 is available at official website.

P.S. Although download link refers to old 38 version.

Anyway i think soon lenovo will fix that issue and the new bios will be available for download.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

All,

Yes, the version 56 bios has been uploaded to the web and is available for download here.  This is for S10 model, not the S10e.

Please continue to share your feedback on the results.  Thank you for what has already been received so far, we will share the resported experience with engineering and consider additional updates as appropriate.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-25-2009 07:15 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
AndrewDC

[ Edited ]

I would like to show You the results of my test. After taping up all holes, i ran PrimeStress(two copies simultaneously).

At first, cpu set to LOW. The temperatures risen to 48*C and then were stable. Envitonment temp : 22*C.

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testlow.jpg

Test at high comming soon.

Message Edited by AndrewDC on 02-25-2009 07:45 AM
Paper Tape
lenovovolod

AndrewDC,

apparently, our temperature readings are vastly different (while actual temperatures are of course very close). Mine (S10) gets to 54C (when the fan kicks in) in 20 minutes when idling. If you start a program, SpeedFan shows spikes of 65C. (And I don't think it's the problem of offsetting SpeedFan max temp, since it shows a believable temperature of about 21C at cold start-up)

But my point is the fan should kick in at a temperature that CPU will never reach under normal load, be it 55, 60 or 80C (of course if this temperature is not high enough to destroy the CPU).

If this is not feasible, then the only other option is to have the fan to spin all the time at very low speeds.

Simply increasing the kick-in threshould by a few degrees is larglely pointless.

The same goes for increasing the spread. In fact, on a couple of start-ups my S10 fan changed its behaviour: it started at 52C and stopped at 51C. This 1 degree spread resulted in the fan spinning for a less than a second (just powering up) and then immediately stopping for a few seconds. The cycle then repeated. I would say that this pattern was preferable to the usual because the fan didn't have the time to make enough noise before having to stop.

Paper Tape
avst

Hi, Mark.

It is ready to test the beta-version of 56-th BIOS on the Lenovo S10e (model 4068 - 4WG).

Punch Card
AndrewDC

Now, the test at high frequency. Two Primes simultaneously. Temperatures have risen to 65/66*C and were stable. All holes taped up.

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testhigh.jpg

lenovoold

The conclusion is, that te fan shouldn't work below 60/65 degrees. Now i know, that i can completely cut off the fan and temps will be good all the time.

What do you think about moving "the point when fan starts" to 65*C and turns off at 62(or 60)*.

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

I downloaded the 56 Bios , i flashed it on my S10e ! , starting Speedstep and the Video Big Buck Bunny1080p , the fan do nothing at the reach of 50 C , runs at fullspeed to cool it down at 47 C , and stopped.

Same with heawyloaded browsing...

Same behaviour as before with the 51 Bios...

In my opinion it would be better to run the fan all time at low speed , and never stops , and run at 50 C faster...

Regards

KalvinKlein

ps: the download link is to 38 i edited 56 to download it

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 02-25-2009 05:23 PM
ZenTech

Andrew,

I like your idea the best.  I believe there is no reason to run the fan until the temps get higher, 65c.  The Atom can take a lot of heat and is designed to do so.  There's no risk to the processor at those temperatures.  Why invoke the fan at a lower speed...keep it off until 65c and then turn it on medium or low until the processor cools off.  Even at the core temp of 65c the actual notebook is only luke warm to the touch. 

Punch Card
AndrewDC

KalvinKlein- you read theese temps from speedfan or core temp?

Please use core temp and then tell me what temps do you have.

I suppose, that REAL temps are not 50 and 47, but 40 and 37. Speedfan lies and you have to calibrate the sensors. (set sensor to relative, offset : 90)

The fan should NOT turn on at low temperatures, like 40 degrees. Our problem comes exactly from this bad setting and it must be fixed.

Did you look at the screenshots i attached?