Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
navynmr

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

hehe :smileyvery-happy: why don't we let the Lenovo engineers decide where and when the fan runs and which saves the most battery life :smileyvery-happy:

i'm sure they're not going to take exact temperatures from these posts anyway. Its more confusing and a hassle to read this posts than for them to figure it out themselves :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
ZenTech

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

LoL Navy.......Gotta love the internet! Heh :smileyvery-happy: 

Fanfold Paper
mjsi

Fanfold Paper
stijn

Thanks KalvinKlein for your late reply. The temperatures mentioned by individual users in this discussion are relative depending on their setups anyway. I was more interested in the differences seen with the 56 image, which are going to be similar for everybody.

Sounds the Lenovo guys are on the right track. I hope they'll give us some (relative) peace and quite soon....:smileywink:

Cheers,

Stijn

Fanfold Paper
unknownx

hmmm kinda late feedback, been busy for the past few days. I did flashed mine to 56 and like most people said, it seems to head in the right direction except the temperature threshold is too low. During idle(no programs running) it runs around 38-40C. When I open any application, it spikes to around 45-50C, but then drops back down to 40-42C. I ran the StressPrime and it will always stablize around 59-60C. My environment temp is around 20C so it shouldn't be that different than you guys. So anything below 60C shouldn't have the fan running at all. That will guarantee that my fan will not run all day unless I do any stress test, because I only use it mostly for typing up my paper and facebook.

I'm running an S10 btw.

Punch Card
AndrewDC

[ Edited ]

My friends!

A memorable event has came

You have to update the ACPI thermal zone driver. Driver is on your hard disk :smileyhappy:

Go to properties, 

click "update the driver"

install from specified loc. (not automatic)

don't search, i will choose the driver

dismark "show only compatible hardware"

Manufacturer - Lenovo,   driver : lenovo acpi complaint virtual power controller.

Install it and reboot.  

Wait a minute, i have to upload this to server.

Message Edited by AndrewDC on 02-26-2009 06:04 AM
Punch Card
Chris_D

[ Edited ]

Really? What does it do? Cut the fan wires? :smileywink:

"Driver is on your hard disk "

Not on mine as I formatted it initially to install my own XP Pro:smileysad:

Message Edited by Chris_D on 02-26-2009 06:22 AM
Punch Card
AndrewDC

Chris, check this and tell me how does it work :smileyhappy:
Punch Card
Chris_D

I am currently in the office without my S10e.

I only doubt that I have this driver because I formatted the HDD.

Punch Card
AndrewDC

[ Edited ]

chris - http://rapidshare.com/files/202808784/AcpiVpc.sys.html

I noticed, that now the fan never turns on.  Your netbook can overheat and even burn. You do it at own your risk.

You have been warned.

This modification completely cut off the fan! But i have been testing it for 3 hours with primestress and everything works fine.

When you install a driver and reboot - the fan will not work.

After second reboot - fan will work normally. You should get into hardware manager and turn off the device ":lenovo ACPI complaint virtual power controller"  There are two devices with the same name.You should turn off the device with yellow warnin point and REBOOT. After reboot the fan doesn't work.

After next reboot, fan will work normally(once more). But in this case, you should turn on the device "lenovo acpi".

Message Edited by AndrewDC on 02-26-2009 07:16 AM