Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bob423

Modifying the Heatsink and Cooling Fan

[ Edited ]

Slash,

I viewed your picture of the S10 board and heatsink assembly with interest. It would seem from the photo that it may be possible to use a Dremel and remove material from the heatsink to relieve any interference with the SMD. If that was possible, then the two washers could be removed and the heatsink would mate properly with the chipset and CPU. That should allow for much better thermal cooling, especially since you would replace the silicon with a better thermal compound and the gap would be much reduced.

However, it all hinges on whether it's possible to modify the heat sink enough to allow for the clearance the SMD requires. What do you think?

I'm also concerned about the fan "grinding" which just sounds like bad bearings. In your opinion, is there a better fan (ball bearing fan) that can be found to replace the one shipped with the S10?

I have an S10 on order due to arrive 3/15 and I want to be ready when it arrives. I realize that there's still a need for a BIOS update but improving the thermal cooling capability should help. I also realize any modification of the heatsink would void the warranty but that does not concern me. I want the best possible performing S10.

Bob423

Message Edited by bob423 on 03-02-2009 05:49 AM
Message Edited by bob423 on 03-02-2009 05:50 AM
Token Ring
thitiv

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

[ Edited ]

navynmr,

From my understandings:

Since the fan kicks in when the CPU core temperature reaches certain threshold, bringing down the temperature by 3-4C means reducing the frequency and the duration that the fan operates, hence less noise from the operating fan.

Lubricating the fan also improves its efficiency -- which means it will take less time to bring the same amount of heat out of the machine, hence less duration that the fan operates and consequently less noise, as well.

Message Edited by thitiv on 03-01-2009 08:49 AM

Twitter @thitiv | Work | ThinkPad W520 (4270-CTO) Core i7-2960XM 2.7/3.7 GHz | 16GB Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1866
2 x 256GB Crucial M4 & C300 SSDs | Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 | Ericsson F5521gw WWAN | Ultrabay Blu-ray Burner
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 | ThinkPad Battery 55++ (9-cell) & Battery 27++ (9-cell slice)

Fanfold Paper
lasica

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

I see, you dont need guaranty. We need good BIOS or aplication with normal temp.  table.

Lenovo please do it :smileysad: 

Fanfold Paper
dualcorex

Ok. Here is the lowdown on the fan problem...a detailed description of what mine is doing. From what I read, pretty much the same thing is happening to everyone.

System Config

• Lenovo IdeaPad S10 (model # 20015)
  • BIOS  -  14CN56WW  (updated Feb. 28, 2009)
  • ALL THE LATEST UPDATES FROM LENOVO & WINDOWS XP HOME

Fan Issue

NOTE: THESE NOTES ARE EXACTLY WHAT MINE IS DOING. UPGRADING TO THE NEW BIOS DID NOT AFFECT THE                   FAN'S OPERATION.

• My observation is that the fan only has 3 modes of operation. (OFF, 50% RPM, & 100%)
  • When sitting idle, fan is OFF. When introduced to the smallest load (i.e.. drag an open window around on the screen and linstening to music) the fan will repeatedly begin to spin but never makes 50% RPM before it shuts off resulting in the PSSSSS... 2-3 sec pause PSSSSS... etc.
  • When intruduced to a more constant demand (i.e. opening webpages, word documents, etc) the fan will remain at 50% steadily. As soon as there is small break in demand, fan revert to the PSSSSS... 2-3 sec pause PSSSSS... and will then return to off if all action stops on screen.
  • Under high demand (i.e.running Guild Wars or World of Warcraft) The fan will run at 100% all the time until these applications are exited. The fan will return to 50% shortly thereafter and then go off.

Suggestions

• The fan seems to be too sensitive at low demand levels. So sensitive in fact that it will cycles on and off in a matter of seconds.  Possible fix could be to decrease the sensativaty but the complaint seems to be repeated spin up noise and high noise levels at both 50% and 100% RPM. What if the fan control was variable; based on demand and temp inputs. It seems like a variable speed control would be a really nice feature. If the fan control were to sample the temp over a 2-5 second sample rate maybe and gradually increase it's speed based on how fast the temp is rising or falling. This would eliminate the repeated spin up sounds and allow the fan to variable maintain about 5-15% RPM under normal mouse movements, window movements, and music playback. After about 5-8 sec of temp increase, the fan would gradually start to step up it's RPM slowly until it can stop the temp increase then maintain that RPM until it detects the temp going down. After a few seconds of decreasing temp, the fan would gradually but slowly reduce the RPM until it detects a normal temp and then shut off.
  • One other solution could be to just increase the tolorance on the low end so the fan doesn't spin up on every temperature spike.

I would like any feedback you have and any updates that Lenovo finds to this solution if possible. I will be more than willing if neccessary to record a small audio clip of the fan operation so engineering can hear what it's doing. All I would need is an email to email the sound file. Just let me know if that would help out.

Thanks Lenovo Team,

Christopher Staggs

Sent from my Lenovo S10.
Punch Card
scoot1212

[ Edited ]

I updated my bios to the 56 bios and I have to say that there is minimal improvement in fan noise.  In fact, I would say the fan kicks in much sooner now when I'm in balanced mode than with the 38 bios. 

I hibernated my s10 last night and I expirenced the ran running at 100% this morning.  What's the word on that fix Mark?

Thank you,
Scott

I'm hoping that Lenovo can get these issues squared away soon.  I have a few people at work that love the S10 but I seriously can't recommend it at this point to anybody.  

Message Edited by scoot1212 on 03-02-2009 06:43 AM
Punch Card
bpl07

This is probably a stupid question, but are we sure we even need the fan at all?  The dell mini 9 has essentially the same hardware, the only real difference is the dell has a mini pcie ssd drive and ours has a sata hard drive.  I actually replaced my hard drive with a ssd, so can I just turn the fan off? 

Don't get me wrong, I would love for the fan to only turn on when it's actually needed, i.e. full load.  Has anyone been able to get a temperature reading during full stress without the fan turned on?  I know some os x users who have issues with the fan not turning on for an entire session and then being full blast when they restart.  If the temperature isn't too high, I may actually consider disconnecting the power to my fan.

Punch Card
ZenTech

bpl07 wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but are we sure we even need the fan at all?  The dell mini 9 has essentially the same hardware, the only real difference is the dell has a mini pcie ssd drive and ours has a sata hard drive.  I actually replaced my hard drive with a ssd, so can I just turn the fan off? 

Don't get me wrong, I would love for the fan to only turn on when it's actually needed, i.e. full load.  Has anyone been able to get a temperature reading during full stress without the fan turned on?  I know some os x users who have issues with the fan not turning on for an entire session and then being full blast when they restart.  If the temperature isn't too high, I may actually consider disconnecting the power to my fan.

The only problem with this is that the Mini 9 has a heatsink designed for fanless operation.  The s10 was designed to obviously have the fan on.  So turning the fan off completely may not be ideal. 

Punch Card
AndrewDC

bpl07 - I completely turned off the fan and now i'm enjoying the silence.  Temperature is about 50*C.

Now i know, how to turn off fan permanently, without extra reboots.  When the fan is silent, make a recovery point in 1-key rec. and turn off the mashine. Then turn it on using orange recovery key and recover last copy. After that, fan will never run.

Paper Tape
luiset83

AndrewDC, are you suggesting you turned off the fan via software? If so, how?

Mark_Lenovo, I'm also affected by the fan issues most others here are. Would appreciate a further BIOS fix that works better than 56.

Fanfold Paper
tminus5

Andrew did you try this onekey method and it worked?  If so that would seem to be a very serious problem on Lenovo's part as it would mean lots of people could inadvertantly do the same thing...

On the other hand, if it fixes the fan issue I'm tempted to give it a shot...  It'll be either that or the in-line diodes + removal of the mesh on the intake and exhaust ports.

Tminus5