Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
dresslerc

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

The good news is that the program works as expected:

The program offers 3 modes, BIOS/Smart/Manual Modes.  In Smart Mode you will be able to set your own threshold for when you want the fan to kick in and at what fan speed.  You can set those parameters in the options. 

The bad new is, I now know why Lenovo wasnt able to fix the issue in the first BIOS update.  It seems that the S10's cooling system is weak.  If the fan isnt on the CPU will go over x temp and the unit shuts off automatically.  I am affraid that we wont be able to keep the S10 100% silent, but at least we will be able to adjust the threshold a bit so the Fan doesnt turn on when using notepad :smileyhappy:.

I need to do some more testing to make sure everything is correct and working.  I will probably put a test release tommorow.

Carsten 

Punch Card
ZenTech

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

Looks simple and lightweight.  Thanks!  A lot of notebooks rely on fans for their cooling...and this one is no exception.  I wouldn't say that the cooling system is weaker than other netbooks out there...but the fan definitely needs some work.
Punch Card
perkj

[ Edited ]

Dressierc,

Can you explain what SMART Mode does?  I assume "BIOS controlled" means S10 runs as it would out of the box and Manual Controlled allows the users to set the temp to whatever we want, correct?  For the manual, what temp range are you allowing?

Also, at what temp does the S10 shut itself down?

Message Edited by perkj on 04-11-2009 10:23 PM
Punch Card
TheSteve

Has anyone else noticed that going from an older bios(such as 38 or 52) to 59 will show an increase of the reported temperature by 10 to 12 degrees Celcius? The CPU diode temperature still shows the same.

I will generally see a temp of 37 to 42 Celcius with a diode temp of around 74 with an older bios.

With the 59 bios I see 51 to 53 Celcius with a diode temp of around 74.

Which temperature is Lenovo using to control the fan?

All of my temp measurements are from Everest.

Punch Card
dresslerc

Smart mode basically allows you to set at what temp the fan should kick in. For example you could say turn fan off if temp is below 70. Turn fan to level 1 if temp is greater than 75c and so on. The s10 is capable of four fan mode.
Punch Card
perkj

you the man!
Punch Card
Loser

dresslerc wrote:
Smart mode basically allows you to set at what temp the fan should kick in. For example you could say turn fan off if temp is below 70. Turn fan to level 1 if temp is greater than 75c and so on. The s10 is capable of four fan mode.

If this works the way you describe it here, then you're definitely S10's Man of the Year! 

Looking forward to testing this. Will it work on the S10e as well?

Punch Card
manoelzer

[ Edited ]

The fan control program looks perfect. Adjusting the theshold is exactly what we need. Can't wait for the release (bouncing up and down here :-)).

Mano :smileyvery-happy:

P.S. and hoping it will work for the s10e in the same way

Message Edited by manoelzer on 04-12-2009 10:36 AM
smo
Punch Card
smo

This is very promising and great news, its a poor show on Lenovo's part though - they really need to get their backsides into gear and address this officially and quickly.

I've got my fingers crossed that the fan control works on the S10e too.

Token Ring
thitiv

@TheSteve, I'm using Everest and notice the same 10-12C increase in reported temperatures like you do.

@dresslerc, I was about to disassemble my noisy S10 to do something with the fan until I saw the preview of your Fan Control software. I look forward to testing it. YOU'RE THE MAN!!!

Twitter @thitiv | Work | ThinkPad W520 (4270-CTO) Core i7-2960XM 2.7/3.7 GHz | 16GB Kingston HyperX PnP DDR3-1866
2 x 256GB Crucial M4 & C300 SSDs | Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 | Ericsson F5521gw WWAN | Ultrabay Blu-ray Burner
NVIDIA Quadro 2000M | 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 | ThinkPad Battery 55++ (9-cell) & Battery 27++ (9-cell slice)