Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
dresslerc

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

[ Edited ]

@Carsten,

Yes those are the tweaks that we need to fix.  I am not sure how to fix it yet but I believe its a problem with the EC writing code.  That it does it too often or doesnt read the proper status codes.

I'll have to play around with it some more to get that issue fix.

edit 1: - Can you turn off the program and tell me at what temp the fan goes on and at what level?  Then I can add the fan values for the S10e as well.  Thanks 

Carsten 

Message Edited by dresslerc on 04-12-2009 03:41 PM
Punch Card
dresslerc

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

Erm I think I realized what the issue is with the s10e.  @Carsten, you said the temp register is 0x51 correct?  On the S10 its 0x50.  Perhaps thats why.  Can you verify and I will make changes to the program immediately.

Thanks 

Punch Card
Loser

[ Edited ]

Edit: We can't go to 59 because there is no 59 for S10e... the newest BIOS is 57.

I have an S10e, and I use the 58 BIOS made for the S10. No problems.

Seems to be some problem with the battery indicator here as well. But this also happenede when I installed windows7 thru swapping HDDs, so I can't say if the fan control program is the issue. Last time I fixed it with shutting down the netbook, removing the battery, pushing the on/off button for a lil while - inserting the battery, plugging in the AC and turned it on.

Message Edited by Loser on 04-12-2009 04:02 PM
Serial Port
Carsten

[ Edited ]

Confirmed. On S10e it's 0x51. Don't ask me for what reason that differs.

The fan levels are a little bit difficult. It has three levels, but in most cases I only hear two. Level 1 should start at around 40°C, Level 2 at around 42-43°C and Level 3 at 47°C, it's OFF below 37°C, depending on RealTemp (the RTMP value is -1°C I think). But it's not that exact.

Message Edited by Carsten on 04-13-2009 01:21 AM
Punch Card
Strudel

Thank you dresslerc for the program, it works quite well on my S10 with the 59 bios.

One question though, is there a way to have the control program not show up in the list of programs when i alt+tab?  I've already selected it to run minimized but sometimes I accidentally select it when I alt+tab and it pops up in the taskbar.  It's not a big problem at all, just something I've noticed.

Punch Card
dresslerc

@Loser

I think the program causes the issue with the batt status.  

What the problem is that the program consistanly overwrites the actual cpu temp with a known value to control the temp.  Every 5 seconds I stop writing to the bus so I can get a proper temp reading.  Once we know this value we can control the fan speed by overwriting the register with a known value.  So the problem is that this is alot of writing we are doing over 1 bus.  So if another process is triyng to read/write to the EC its all done over one bus.  Thats where I think the problem is...

Hope that makes since. 

Punch Card
dresslerc

@Strudel,

Yes we can do that.  I didnt realize that happens :smileyhappy:.  I'll fix it in the next release.

Carsten 

KalvinKlein

@dresslerc i flash the 58 (59?) for S10 on my S10e ...

whats happend the fan starts directly after bootup in a higher level and continous the running for 5 mins... and stops

the temps what is showing me coretemp are 10 C lower so the fan starts at 29 C / SFC show 51C

I test it again....all test with modified balanced set cpu set to 1600Mhz as usual... 

So the program itself works well... i set 75/80/85 ...

Smart Mode runs coretemp andd prime again..

at coretemp 55C /SFC shows 75C it starts correctly...runs for 30-40secs drops temps down to 52C Coretemp/72C SFC

.thats after 5 mins prime.. applause from the audience

and i feel no hotspots around the case ... repeat it after minute... all with primetest !!! its ridicolous ..

that where the bioscontrolled runs continous !!  

Great work ...   
What i found 
sometimes the CPU Temperature shows for instance 74 C then 44C for a second (is it a bug ?)
What I did find out in bios controlled ...

that the S10e with 57 the fan runs at all, at 1 lower level !!! as the 58(59) did...  

have i one of the silenced S10e or what is going on...

or is this the differ between S10 and S10e ?

I tried it out for a day or two .. before i decide flash back to S10e 57er

or the S10 58(59?)er (louder at all but silenced with fan control !) 

Thats all for today here its half past 2 in the morning so i go to sleep as well....

regards

and looking forward its getting better

KalvinKlein

ZenTech

I tried the utility with bios 57 on my s10e and it didn't do anything but freak out my battery icon...which I fixed by taking the battery out and putting it back in.  The program looks promising but I'll have to wait for another version.  I've never been fond of flashing to bios's that aren't intended for a specific piece of hardware.

Punch Card
dresslerc

@KalvinKlein

Glad to hear it works.  With the temp dropping thats again the problem with the bus interface.  I think I may have a bug in my EC class.  Looks like its not reading the proper status from the EC before reading/writing.  I'll see if I can fix it.  Probably tommorow though.

Carsten