Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
navynmr

S10/S10e Fan Problems - Collecting Info for Lenovo

[ Edited ]

the fan is a huge problem and it should be fixed. almost everyone is having it.

and the new s10e bios doesn't help at all.

people are acting like there something you can adjust in windows to make it go

away. please fix this!! I have a brand new unit

Message Edited by navynmr on 01-21-2009 10:02 PM
Admin EDIT - Changed thread title to collect responses on S10 Fans - consolidate discussion.
Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 01-27-2009 01:58 PM
Message Edited by navynmr on 02-04-2009 07:33 PM
Message Edited by JaneL on 04-25-2009 02:28 PM
Paper Tape
igarvey

Loud & Erratic Fan

Hey, I just received my S10 today and upon using it, I immediately noticed that the fan inside the computer was not only noisy, but also very erratic. For example, when opening a new window, the fan will turn on for one second and then turn off. It will turn on again when I start typing, or basically do anything else. It's almost as if the fan turns on at any CPU activity. It sounds like a car revving up almost, the way it keeps going on and off every few seconds. I have the most updated version of the BIOS. What's up with the fan ?
Punch Card
TwistedAkimbo

Re: fan is a problem and it should be fixed

[ Edited ]

I have to agree the fan constantly spinning up and down is getting bloodly annoying. Even typing this message it comes on then off. Checking my temps the CPU is around 50-55c which is the usual temps for mine. I dont even see it go to 60c but the fan always kicking in randomly around 50-55c. Basically if light usage is around 50-55c CAN YOU PLEASE fix the bios so the fan spins up at 60c or something, i really dont mind the netbook being a few degrees hotter if only i can do some light work without the fan constantly spinning up. Also if this is happening now what it the future for this netbook ...Constant fan noise? the fan shouldnt be on just surfing the web or writing at message.

Could someone else tell me their temperatures and when they think the fan starts up.

Many Thanks,

-Twisted 

Message Edited by TwistedAkimbo on 01-23-2009 09:57 PM
Message Edited by TwistedAkimbo on 01-23-2009 09:58 PM
Punch Card
TwistedAkimbo

Re: Loud & Erratic Fan

it didnt bother me at first but now its starting to bug me. we dont need the fan constantly turning on and off while only doing light activity.. the temperature is not even much higher then the idle temp 50-55c. I just want to type in peace. This is the only problem i have with this device other than that its great but please can someone address this problem. lol look on wikipedia lenovo s10 and it even says there, "annoying fan"...

Please fix the bios! 

Paper Tape
dwogs1

I completely agree. The fan is my only complaint about the S10. However, it is a big complaint because the fan really is erratic and loud. Sometimes it just stays on even when is cold and there are no applications running. I reset the machine and then the fan goes off.

I have a big power hog main laptop and the fan is silent until running major video processes, but even then it is substantially quiter than my S10. Something has to be done.

Paper Tape
pkeegan

The fan is my major complaint about the s10. I don't know if I would recommend the S10 due to the fan.
Punch Card
superbam

I'm debating if I should bother keeping this system due to the fan.  I really like everything else about it.  The size is nice and the build quality is excellent, but it is all ruined by the this @#$%! fan that won't stop running.  These folks seem to be annoyed by it also:

http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1313

Prior to the S10 I bought an Asus EEEPC 900HA.  It's build quality and keyboard are laughable compared to the Lenovo but at least the fan is quiet.  Please fix this Lenovo, before I end up resorting to this and void my warranty: http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1271&p=10221#p10221

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

All,

Ok, the S10 fan discussion is on my radar ... I see multiple posts here on this and clicked over to the S10 forum.

Can you clarify if you have the S10 or the S10e model system?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
superbam

S10

I tried the BIOS update for the S10e that some claimed (on the www.s10lenovo.com forums) helped with this issue but the behavior remains the same.  I went back to the current BIOS (14CN38WW).

It seems the fan speed is linked to processor load and not system temperature.  I had a few older Compaqs that did this and it was so very annoying.  After owning several Thinkpads I was very surprised to find a Lenovo product that acted this way.  Other then the fan it is a wonderful machine.  I absolutely love the keyboard after coming from the Asus.  Please don't make me go back....Please?

Serial Port
navynmr

I think the s10 is the bestest netbook out there but the bleeping fan!!

the last couple of days ive been working on a software fix for the fan, i havent tested out anything yet but i will be doing so in a couple of days. i don't want you guyz to get your hopes up yet but just for the chap whos debating about parting with his s10 might hold on to it for a bit