Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
miknich

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

Good job dresslerc!

Is it possible to add CPU voltage adjustment? Lowering it would lower the CPU temp, fan noise and extend the battery life.

Punch Card
Loser

Re: [S10/S10e Fan Problems Collecting Info for Lenovo] S10 fan runs too fast, too often, too loud

miknich wrote:

Good job dresslerc!

Is it possible to add CPU voltage adjustment? Lowering it would lower the CPU temp, fan noise and extend the battery life.

Maybe this is close to what you're asking for: http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1851

They are using SetFSB in order to underclock the machine somewhat - and also getting 3 hours 50 mins of battery life on a 3 cell - using both wifi and cam.

Punch Card
dresslerc

[ Edited ]

Everyone,

I've uploaded a version which everyone can use to test with.  Remember this is still a TEST version although I think it works for the most part.  It should work both on the S10/S10e.

Please install the .NET Framework 2.0 or later first.

Then click here to download the exe:  http://www.mediafire.com/?jlg2enkjdxn

Once downloaded, extract the files and hit hte S10FanCtrl.Exe.  Once this program launches you should be able to control the fan.  Keep in mind that if you lower the fan speed then it'll take upto 30 seconds before the S10 registers the change, so be patient.

I've only tested this on the latest BIOS 59.  I am sure it will work on the 57 as well but the individual speeds might not work properly on that version.  Please try it out and report back.

The only issue that I heard so far is that occasionally the fan will kick in regardless if in Manual/Smart Mode.  Also the temp it shows may not be accurate.  If you find any other issues please let me know what they are so I can attempt to fix them.

Once we have all the kinks worked out then I will release the source. 

Heres a quick Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PKl70ZgmFg 

REMEMBER: USE PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THIS PROGRAM MIGHT CAUSE.

Application Use:

BIOS Controlled - Fan is controlled by the BIOS

Smart Mode - Fan is controlled based on the conifguration in the options.  You can set the threshold here at what temp you want the fan to kick in...

Manual - Fan is controlled manually by the slider.

If you want to have the program startup automatically, then place a shortcut of the app in the PROGRAM FILES -> STARTUP folder.  Then you may want to go to the options and make the application minimize at startup.

Edit:

It seems there are some issues with the app and the S10e or previous BIOS versions.  Will post a fix asap. 

Message Edited by dresslerc on 04-12-2009 02:24 PM
Message Edited by dresslerc on 04-12-2009 02:30 PM
Message Edited by dresslerc on 04-12-2009 03:43 PM
KalvinKlein

First of all, great job @dresslerc and @carsten ....

I downloaded it... my computer have all Windows XP updates with all possible optional including Dot.Net and so on...

the program runs but do nothing....

Test with S10e 4068 - 4WG Bios 57

Runs the normal test programs Coretemp 99.5.beta and Primestress ...

test all 3 Settings but nothing response...

fan starts at normal 41C and stops if prime stops...

regards KalvinKlein

CEMA65

[ Edited ]

Dresslerc: Thank you!  I can't wait to download and try this out.  Is there any way for you to post some threshold temps for us neophyte users to try as a start?  Thanks again!

Edit: Never mind.  I downloaded and installed and found the default thresholds in Smart Mode.  I'll try it out for a while and see how it goes.  So far in the first few minutes I've already noticed a big difference.  (I'm using the 59 BIOS on an S10)  Any tips on the max temps the S10 can tolerate? Thanks.

Message Edited by CEMA65 on 04-12-2009 03:12 PM
Message Edited by CEMA65 on 04-12-2009 03:21 PM
Punch Card
Loser

@dresslerc:

It seems to work very well so far, but it might be a bit early to say all is well. For reference; I use the 58 BIOS (for the S10) on my S10e. Thumbs up so far! :smileyhappy:

The only thing I find a tad strange is that the fan on level 1 is more what could be expected on level 2. It's pretty loud on lvl 1. Are you sure there isn't one more fan speed - located somewhere between level 0 and 1?

Punch Card
TheSteve

Thanks for posting the fan software. I won't be able to test it though as I don't have any versions of .net installed and I won't be installing them.
Punch Card
Loser

TheSteve wrote:
Thanks for posting the fan software. I won't be able to test it though as I don't have any versions of .net installed and I won't be installing them.

That's really a shame. My Lenovo S10e is now perfect due to the program dresslerc made. I upped the thresholds a bit (75 degrees for the fan to kick in) - but not even when watching a movie does the temp reach that high. Alas; I have a -shhhhs- quiet  netbook. :smileyhappy: It doesn't feel warm either when sitting on my lap.

Punch Card
dresslerc

[ Edited ]

@KalvinKlein 

I am not sure if it works on the 57.  Why not upgrade to the 59? 

@CEMA65 

My brother has it set at 75,80,85.  And he seems happy with it.  I havent been able to really try any values as I dont have a S10...

@Loser 

There could be another speed but I havent found them.  Basically what we did was try to see at what temp the fan turns on and at what level.  Then we just force the system to think the CPU temp is x.  So for now those are the only options we found...

forums.lenovo.com/lnv/view_profile?user.id=35426_1";return this.s_oc?this.s_oc(e):true" target=_blank>@TheSteve

How come no .NET Framework?  Once I post the code anyone can port it into a super lightweight C++ app.  Although the concept of the program is very simple.  

Carsten  

Message Edited by dresslerc on 04-12-2009 03:35 PM
Serial Port
Carsten

[ Edited ]

Hmm... for me the same as KalvinKlein. 40684JG with BIOS 57, the program runs but do nothing. I even had a problem. My S10e is running on battery. I'm testing your program and from one second to the other, it says it is running on AC and there is no battery available - instead it is running on battery. The same for Windows, Lenovo Energy Management and Notebook Battery Info (NHC control system was disabled and program terminated). It was the same after a restart. I only got it back by plugging AC in, removing the battery, waiting 10 sec. and put it back in. Then all three programs found the battery immediately.

You've said something about some tweaks. What's that exactly?

Carsten

Edit: We can't go to 59 because there is no 59 for S10e... the newest BIOS is 57.

Message Edited by Carsten on 04-13-2009 12:36 AM