Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
diab0lik

S12 External Display Problems [Windows 7]

I have the windows 7 energy management drivers installed...they work perfectly fine.

Since installing windows 7, I went to use an external display (tv) for the first time.  Upon plugging the VGA cable in, it automatically just cloned the display to the TV, and everything was working fine. 

I decided I was annoyed by the dual displays for my purposes, so I tried to switch to external only....big mistake.

For some reason on external only, nothing actually gets displayed on the TV, and now it defaults to that whenever I plug in a VGA cable, and therefore cannot get the display to switch back to my s12 screen with anything short of a reboot.

Furthermore, when going FN + F3 I can't change any of the options, and even my attempts to line up the cursor before plugging it in (hoping that the other options would become selectable) were thwarted.

I've yet to be able to find any place I can adjust the settings for this feature of the lenovo software, and uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling made no change.

Anybody had any problems with this, or at least maybe know of a way to force it back to display on the s12 after it detects a VGA plugged in?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What's DOS?
Reeko

Re: S12 External Display Problems [Windows 7]

Hello

Seems to have same problem with my Lenovo R400 running with Windows 7...

I dowloaded latest video drivers but it stills not work... I tried different vga monitors, they are actually detected by the system, but it cannot display it ; i alaways have black screen...

i think there is some compatibility problem here... I didn't try BIOS update.. I don't know if it can help ?

Token Ring
spiritedguy

Have you tweaked the lenovo/intel display properties dialogue, where the choices for multiple displays are available?

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

@diab0lik

Hi,

start computer...plug in vga (tv,monitor) ...let it switch to external...

somewhere on desktop-- click right --- graphic options--- output--- Notebook

diab0lik

First of all, thank you for the replies.  For some reason I didn't get the 'someone responded' email.

Second of all...@spritedguy Yes I have and found no such options.

@KalvinKlein

The problem is when I plug in VGA, it without pushing any function keys, it jumps to some different setting (I'm assuming the "VGA Only" or w/e option from when I changed it (default was both displays)

anyway when it switches to whatever output it's trying to do, for some reason it never actually gets to the source....i.e. by default it would display perfectly to the s12 screen as well as the vga, however now it won't display to anything, and when I unplug the VGA, it doesn't switch back.

Is there some way to disable the hotswap maybe?  Then I could perhaps get the settings corrected.

Thanks again for the responses, and sorry mine was so delayed.

Token Ring
spiritedguy

Do what Kalvin said,

with the VGA plugged in..

right click somewhere on the desktop and choose screen resolution,

You should see the two displays pictured

choose your notebook and make it the primary display

click apply and/or ok

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

Hi again that works in conjunction with my 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor with tv tuner & my moms  32" 1920 x 1080 .tv with monitor ..

start computer...plug in vga (tv,monitor) ...let it switch to external...

somewhere on desktop-- click right --- graphic options--- output--- Notebook

Monitor TV Switch

or that way

but i mention to know what your prob is ... For one time i think ive had this booby trap too :smileyhappy:

let me try to remember what i do ...

Some TV (VGA) will not switch back , if you dont set it properly !!

its a bit difficult to say... the prob you have ...its Two in One !

As i say a Fight between standard internal windows setting and intel graphics driver setting  ... if you switch

monitor with default windows key and set something wrong in intel graphics driver ...  

your monitor dont get the right information and

is set to an improper resolution i think .. so thats a bit tricky to get all things back to normal..

if your tv (monitor) shows a screen (if screen shows nothing bad thing) ...you first have to choose

lowest resolution 800 x 480/600  i.e. for that  .. apply that setting ...and close setting..

Than you can normally choose Dual Display or extended or one ...

If all is working you can set your internal Netbook LCD back to 1280 x 800 ...

hope that this time i gave you the right information that you need for a way to find the solution ...

sincerely KalvinKlein