Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
adsjfh

S205 Wireless disappeared after re-install of Win7

I recently got an S205 netbook, and an Intel 330 SSD to speed it up a little. I did a clean install of Win 7 64-bit to the SSD - I had quite a lot of fun getting it to install using the AHCI mode, but it went in in the end. NB Wireless was all working fine before I did this!

The problem is the wireless functionality seems to have completely disappeared. I've installed all the latest drivers - including for the wireless (it has the RaLink 3090 card). Windows can see the network adaptor, and says it's working properly in device manager. However when I look for wireless networks it says none are there; Network troubleshooter says that the 'wireless is turned off', and task manager says the wireless network is 'disconnected'.

When I hit Fn+F5 I can only see Bluetooth in the list of wireless networks (and Bluetooth seems to be working fine) - there's no mention of normal wireless (!?).

* I've checked the BIOS and yes, wireless is enabled.

* I've checked the little wireless switch on the right hand side - yes it's enabled. When I flick it between off & on the on-screen display pops up the relevant icon, so this seems to be OK.

* I've tried turning off power management for the wireless device in case this is doing something silly, but it seems to make no difference.

* I've tried moving Windows Boot Manager to the bottom of the boot list in the BIOS, which seems to have cured a similar problem on other (non-S205) Lenovo laptops. Sadly this didn't work either.

Does anyone know how I can get my wireless back?

Many thanks!

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: S205 Wireless disappeared after re-install of Win7

Hello adsjfh and welcome to community,

Kindly make sure you running updated BIOS

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers_Show_4919.html

Load the default settings in BIOS once and then check if the wireless lan card detects.

You may try reinstalling the Operating System and if then also the issue persist the issue could be with the wireless lan card.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
adsjfh

Thanks for this - I'm on most recent BIOS, v24.

I'm going to try a reinstall of Windows in IDE mode rather than AHCI as seems to have been successful with some other Lenovo laptops. However this is not a quick job!

Another possibility is that I knocked the card when installing the SSD (the aerial wire does go in and around the hard drive holder), and wireless was working before.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 235

Hi adsjfh,

I'd hate to see you have to do a reinstall.  Check the antenna connections and for any chafing where the antenna wires get routed.  Take the card out and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.  Make sure you clean off any eraser debris.

Try that first before you do a reinstall.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
adsjfh

Thanks for the tip on checking the antennae - however I had already done a reinstall with the SSD now in IDE mode (instead of AHCI). And yes, it all works fine - very odd, very annoying, but there it is.

I'd note my Windows Experience Index for disk performance has dropped from 7.6 to 7.0 with changing to IDE mode, but I'd rather have that than no wireless!

Given how many tiny screws you need to undo and the slightly difficult case removal I'm not sure which is worse, checking the wireless connections or reinstalling Windows...

Thanks for the comments, all the best, adsjfh.