Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

S205 wifi won't turn on

[ Edited ]

Freshly installed win7 on a new hard drive. Got all the drivers installed from the lenovo support website including the latest wifi driver but there is no wireless available. The hardware switch seems to be doing something. For example if I hit 'fn+F5' with it off it says 'first switch on the wireless device' but when it is switched on that message is gone but  nothing else comes up. when I try to troubleshoot the connection through windows network diagnostics it comes back telling me the the wireless capability is turned off, which it isn't...  

any ideas?

Edit add Model S205 to postname KK

Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

Re: wifi won't turn on

I should mention that it is a s205 laptop 64bit win 7 and the wireless card it says it has is Atheros.

I thought it had bluetooth but when I tried to install the bluetooth driver it said there is no device, if it is supposed to have bluetooth is it posible this is related?

Token Ring
witteks

I had the same issue with the Atheros Wifi. Got it working by connecting through Ethernet and letting Windows look for a driver. I believe there is also a driver on the CD, but you would need to copy it to an USB stick first.

Regards,

witteks

Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

I tried that. First I uninstalled the wifi driver and Windows found a driver for me, as you said, though it was an older version. That had the same issue. So from the hardware manager I tried manually updating the diver from the file. When that was finished the issue still persisted.

Token Ring
witteks

In my case, I have initially installed the Energy Management, where it was telling me, that Wifi was switched on, but it never detected a network. Only after doing the the Windows driver search, it was working.

-witteks

Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

do you have any devices listed in the 'Lenovo Wireless Device Settings' that comes up when you hit 'fn+F5' ?

Token Ring
witteks

I'm not certain, what you are refering to as "Lenovo Wireless Device Settings", but when looking into the Windows Device Manager, the WifI Atheros stays under network adapters, while the Bluetooth entries do disappear.

-witteks

Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

I guess there is a dialog that appears when you hit 'fn+F5' and have the lenovo energy management software installed.It looks like it should have a list of wireless devices or maybe wireless networks, but mine is empty when I have the wireless switch turned on.

I was on phone support for quite a while this morning and they weren't able to resolve the issue... unless I wanted to fork out $80 for premium support.That sucks! thanks for nothing lenovo.

Blue Screen Again
aeischeid

windows mobility center says my wireless is off, but option to turn wireless on is greyed out. I feel like if i could just 'flip the switch' everything would work great, any suggestions on how to do that. a comman line kinda thing maybe?

Community Moderator
yigit

is there any wireless switch button probably right/left side of your computer?

http://www.ki-themes.com