Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Carsten

Re: Fan Control for the S10(e) - user-developed solution

@Loser:

When you have a look at CPU-Z you will see that the cpu is still doing its speedstepping to 800 MHz. NHC is two years old, has no idea what a Intel Atom is and nothing except the ACPI control is used, everything else remains at the Lenovo Energy Management and Windows. It's just a wrong reading (perhaps remove the systray icon for cpu speed).

@soysauce:

The exact model number and the typing which is needed you can see in NHC ==> register "Info" ==> click "Show Computer Hardware details" ==> entry after "Model". But the message "is still not configured" should really mean that you have a error in the model number.

You don't have to restart the computer, but you have to restart NHC after you have changed something in the lenovo.xml (NHC compiles a .dll from the .cs file on program startup).

In the .cs file you don't have to change something. The "S10e" is just the name for the class. It is possible to put several different devices to one cs-file which are identified by the class name.

Is your BIOS up-to-date? Did you take the attachment from the post the link directs to (the first post at the linked page also has an attachment which does only work for the S10e with BIOS 57 - I ask this because the download count for the 57-profile still increases...)?

Greetings

Carsten

Punch Card
Loser

@Carsten

Thx. I don't use Lenovos Energy Management - only Windows 7 built-in controls. I figured the readings weren't correct since my S10e never has reported heat above 50C - which would probably happen if the CPU run at full all the time. NHC seems to work better than the Fan Control Program, so thx for your effort. :smileyhappy:

KalvinKlein

[ Edited ]

soysauce i think carsten look over that you have a S10 not an S10e

in the Fan thread they talk about it

dresslerc @Carsten, you said the temp register is 0x51 correct?  On the S10 its 0x50....... later Carsten confirm this.

i think you must change  a value in s10e_66.cs

open with editor scroll near the end the value

0x51 must be changed to 0x50

for the S10 that you have...

save it and restart NHC

regards KlavinKlein

Message Edited by KalvinKlein on 04-29-2009 11:30 PM
Carsten

[ Edited ]

Nope, that is not a problem. That is just a function to read the temperature when the ACPI control system is off for monitoring purpose.

If FAN_CONTROL enabled

Then  Thermal Zone = CPU_TEMPERATURE

Else   Thermal Zone = ReadByOffset...

It should be 0x50, there you are right (my mistake... :smileywink: ), but it's just for monitoring and we know that the reported value cannot be used for monitoring because it is too high, so it doesn't matter at all. The S10e v66 also needs the 0x50, there is no more difference between S10 and S10e. If there would be an error in the fan control procedure, it would not work at all and for nobody.

(Deshalb funktioniert ja das alte Profil mit BIOS 66 nicht mehr.)

Greetings

Carsten

Message Edited by Carsten on 04-29-2009 11:36 PM
Fanfold Paper
soysauce

Hey guys, after work I changed the value in the .cs file to 0x50,

I changed my model number to be 4231AFU,

and nothing else, everything I kept the same, but for some reason it still isnt configured correctly,

I restarted NHC everytime I made changes,  so with those two change, it should theoretically work correct?

I think it is my bios.... 

My bios version is 14CN58WW

Anyone got the NHC to be configured correctly with the lenovo s10?

Help would be much much appreciatd,

I really appreciate all of you guys for helping out and sharing your knowledge,

congrats!!!

Fanfold Paper
soysauce

Hey guys, I found out my problem!!!!!

Inside the NHC, in the info section, you click on hardware info

then the model name is the to the right of the Model keyword....

in my case, the model name is Lenovo

weird..... well thanks for all the help  carsten, your help is much appreciated,

thank you!!!!

I think i got everything setted up, I hope the fan will not bug me anymore

KalvinKlein

S10 Fan Control - user-developed solution

So i push this info here where it should be

@ dresslerc

Guys,

As i have limited time to enhance the program.  Here you can find the source:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7a3fb99d33817c08c2b435915e8821d7e04e75f6e8ebb871

Requires VB2008.

Carsten 

paddes

Greetings,

I'M using the Notebook Hardware Control to monitor Fan activity. Unfortunately, I've noticed that the program keeps my CPU clocked at 1,6 Ghz and does not allow for dynamic clocking to happen. I have seen an option to set CPU speed in the NHC at 50%, but I would prefer if the CPU could clock dynamically.

Did I miss an option there or is this currently not possible while useing NHC?

Another Question regarding S10FanControl:

Will the bugs be fixed in a future version or is there no further development planned?

Punch Card
Loser

@paddes:

This is what carsten wrote to me in this thread:

"When you have a look at CPU-Z you will see that the cpu is still doing its speedstepping to 800 MHz. NHC is two years old, has no idea what a Intel Atom is and nothing except the ACPI control is used, everything else remains at the Lenovo Energy Management and Windows. It's just a wrong reading (perhaps remove the systray icon for cpu speed)."

I don't know about the fan control prog. - but dresslerc has released the source code for those who want to keep developing it.

Punch Card
Loser

For some reason NHC doesn't seem to respond as expected anymore, and I don't notice any difference between running NHC and not. What values do you people use? And what is the difference between CPU FAN ON temperature/CPU FAN OFF temperature and Temperature Value for CPU FAN ON/Temperature value for CPU FAN OFF? Should the values be the same for bot those?

*Confused*