Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
Uliversal

Windows 7 Product Activation Key

After 2 years of working with my S10-3 Netbook my harddisk crashed completely, so that I could not use the one key recovery. With the help of my local computer store I managed to replace the harddisk and reinstall windows 7 starter. Unfortunately the Product Key imprinted on the label at the back of the netbook is not readable anymore after 2 years of usage. Can Lenovo please send me my Product Key when I send my serial number to them ?

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Windows 7 Product Activation Key

hi uliversal.

you will need to call microsoft to activate the windows.
( press windows, type 'windows activate' )

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
Uliversal

But for the activation at Microsoft I need the Product Key from the label that I cannot read anymore. I need the help of Lenovo to get the Product Key for my Windows 7 Starter.

Community Moderator
yigit

in this case, it's better to contact lenovo support line or if you are still keeping the box, check the stickers.

http://www.ki-themes.com
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

Hi Uliversal,

Lenovo isn't going to be able to give you a new Product key, only one per computer.

In order to get your OS activated, you're going to have to call service and get a set of restore discs.  Restore discs come pre-activated.

What you were supposed to do is when you first got your machine and got it up and running, is burn yourself a set of restore discs.  They would have been pre-activated also.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
jollyjoe321

What happened to the days when manufacturers bothered sending their machines with separate recovery media?...

topmahof

Hi jollyjoe321,

Yeh, you're right, nobody sends out discs anymore. The first thing I do when I get a new machine is burn a set of restore discs and then I run them to make sure they work.  

In the days when makers only made a few models of machines, it wasn't too hard to keep a few different sets of discs in stock.  Now, the makers make so many different models of machines and they change every year, it's probably tough to keep them all on hand.

Now, if you need a set of restore discs, they don't come from the maker, they come from a company that's contracted to make and distribute those discs.  Before, the makers provided the discs.

I guess it's just a sign of the times.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Paper Tape
leslie380

Hi topmahof,

I agree with you that one should make a set of restore discs of the system, BUT for the IdeaPad S10-3 Netbook using Windows 7 Starter OS, how can I burn the restore discs when the Windows 7 Starter OS does not recognise or support external DVD drive. What is the solution??

Leslie380
topmahof

Hi leslie380 and welcome to the community,

If you press F12 at startup, is the DVD drive in the list of bootable devices?

If not, if you press F2 at the startup splash screen, in the bios, is usb boot enabled?

If it is seen in the bios and is in the list of bootable devices but not in Windows 7 starter, it might have a driver that isn't digitally signed.

Start the machine back up and at the startup splash screen, press F8 and in the list that comes up, at the bottom, there should be an option to turn off reading digitally signed drivers.  

Dave 

Paper Tape
leslie380

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the steps given in isolating the problem. But no luck.
Startup on F12, bootable devices only show HDD, LAN. No DVD.
Startup on F2, BIOS Bootable options has HDD, LAN and USB-CDROM.

DVD drive finally show up on the windows explorer after Turn off digitally signed drivers and installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Not sure which one help on this.

But another problem arise, whenever insert any type of DVD disc (audio/video/data), the DVD drive become unstable, intermittent disappear from the explorer.

Problem solved by connecting another USB cable between second USB port on the S10-3 and the DVD drive external power input jack.

So the issue is due to not enough power supply to the DVD drive. Same thing happen when using the USB External Hard Disk. This is Not a Windows 7 Starter limitation. It is the Ideapad S10-3 USB Ports does not supply enough power (DC Current). A hardware design flaw.

Now I can backup the system image to the DVD disc.

Thanks Dave for the help.

Leslie380