Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
sansingal
Accepted Solution

ram upgrade does not work on s100

i have purchased new lenovo s100 netbook a week ago. i tried to upgrade the ram from 1gb to 2 gb. however on installing the new ram stick the netbook doesnot boot up rather it shows a blank screen without any message. the specifications of the new ram are Kingston KVR1333D3S9/2g 1.5V DDR3 ram. i have also tried other 4-5 ram sticks from a-data and kingston, however none works except the original samsung M471B2873FHS-CH9. please help!

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: ram upgrade does not work on s100

according to kingston, ktl-tp3bs/2g should work.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Blue Screen Again
sansingal

Thanks for your reply buddy. After searching the computer market for a while i have brought Strontium EVM 2GB Single Rank memory module based on hynix chipset. This memory module is working perfectly fine.

However now when i tried to install windows 7 afresh on my netbook, it returned Error: 0x80070002 saying that the setup could not copy certain file. i have got windows 7 home basic original installation disk. tried to reinstall windows twice but the setup failed returning the same error. Thaks in Advance.

Community Moderator
yigit

could be defective dvd/cd. which file was that by the way?

Blue Screen Again
sansingal

well i tried to reinstall windows 4-5 times but with the same error. thereafter i restored my samsung 1gb ram stick(the one that came factory fitted) and windows got installed without any error. i again reinstalled my new strontium 2 gb ram stick but the system shows BSOD after about 5 minutes of booting. it seemed that the my new ram is at fault. however i have checked it with windows memory diagnostic tools but no problems were detected at all. i am suspecting that the bios are are the real culprict and lenovo should release bios update as soon as possible to fix the problem.

Community Moderator
yigit

you may be right about the new bios. i'll send feedback about ram/bios update.

by the way, you have only one ram slot, right? not possible to swap the ram sticks?

Blue Screen Again
sansingal

Thanks for your response buddy. Since my machine is a netbook therefore it has only one ram slot. Anyways i have also sent a request to lenovo through email support. I have been searching for the solution of memory upgrading problem in the lenovo forums and has found that the previous lenovo s10 3 netbooks were also suffering with the similar memory compatibility issues and the same were fixed by BIOS updates. Here is the link of the forum discussion:  

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/S10-3-Ram-issue-S10-3s-2GB-Memory-Upgrade-didn...

Community Moderator
yigit

yes, i'm aware that. i've already contacted lenovo, let's wait for an answer.

Blue Screen Again
sansingal

i have received an email from lenovo saying that i shoud visit Lenovo Service Centre for BIOS upgrade. however i have made a further request to provide the BIOS update directly to me to which Lenovo has again directed me to visit the service centre or call their toll free no. The point is that lenovo is aware of the ram upgrade issues but doesnot want to provide BIOS update directly. i am going to visit the service centre soon to see if they have really got any BIOS update.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

hi sansigal,

the reason that we ask you to come to the service center to upgrade your bios is because the current bios that you have can't be upgraded with any of the bios available on the support site.

it is kinda like placing a ferrari engine in a toyota. it can be done but specific tools are needed and only the service center has these tools.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.