Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Albuquerque

16Gb ram support on Core i processors

Greetings,

According to a multitude of sources to include Intel, the integrated memory controller on all i-series processors (Core i3, Core i5, Core i7) both in laptop and desktop forms support 8Gb DIMMs.  I have seen several reports of the T-series of Thinkpads with success installing a pair of 8Gb chips.  However, my Lenovo Y460 is not so lucky.

I have tried four total chips / two paired sets of 8Gb DIMMs, but to no avail.  I'm using the newest Lenovo firmware, but all the chips fail in exactly the same way and at the same point under the Memtest86 testing tool -- which would indicate something related to the system board or BIOS logic rather than the SODIMMs themselves failing.  The config page of the BIOS does correctly show 16,384Mb of ram installed, so this leads me to believe that the hardware is working as expected, at least in a basic / fundamental way.

As the Core i-series of processors directly interface with the ram (unlike prior processors which leverage the chipset as the ram interface), this is not a chipset limitation.  Although, if someone wanted to attempt that argument, the HM55 chipset also supports the 16Gb ram by association with the Core i series support of said config.

Any thoughts on what I could do to further troubleshoot this issue?

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: 16Gb ram support on Core i processors

[ Edited ]

it supports* 8gb max.

edit: * according to user manual 

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
Albuquerque

Thank you for blurting out the standard Lenovo response, but that doesn't mean you're correct.

While I'm sure this is falling on deaf ears (eyes?), the Core i series does indeed support 16Gb of ram in dual-channel configurations.  Case in point, even the current Lenovo firmware indicates that 16Gb are fully recognized during POST.  Further, if the board was built to Intels' requirements for certification, it would be functioning with full stability instead of having hanging / BSOD issues.

I suppose I could put you in contact with some of the people whom I work with, who might be the people who designed this chipset and generally "ought to know".  But I doubt you'd believe me, or them, anyway.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

At the risk of provoking more personal insults, may I ask the brand of RAM you  are trying?

I don't know how much RAM your machine should support.  I can say that many Lenovo users have had problems with Corsair RAM.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Community Moderator
yigit

:smileyhappy:
even if it supports, i don't think you'll be able to work it out due to bios limitation.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Serial Port
madseason

[ Edited ]

It is a procesor limitation in my opinion - as first generation of "i" procesors ony suppoerted max 8GB RAM in total (2x4GB).

http://ark.intel.com/products/49666

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
8 GB
Memory Types
DDR3-800/1066

What's more, yesterday I've installed 2x4GB 1066Mhz CL-7 Kingston memory and under windows performance index it is higher than 1333Mhz CL-9 that I had installed before (just thought that bigger numbers indicated better performance :smileywink: )

=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5