Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
agilani
Accepted Solution

750GB HDD with 4 Primary Partitions Mayhem

I got this Lenovo Z580 just over a month ago.

I purchased a 3 years extended warranty on it at the time of purchase

It has 750GB hard drive with 4 partitions on it.

1) hidden for boot

2) C: for operating system with 650GB

3) D: Lenovo with about 25GB

4) hidden Levono_Part

I want to see if i can delete all the partitions and then create 3 partitions to install Win 7 and Win 8 on 2 of the partitions...

My issue is with the warranty....

By doing so will i void the warranty

i have tried searching the web and documentation but cannot get a clear answer...

also how about the one key recovery, in case at some point in future if i decide to go back to the original factory default...

how i can go do that...

please someone answer this for me...

Bit Torrent
ishaan

Re: 750GB HDD with 4 Primary Partitions Mayhem

At any cost playing with the partition sizes would void warranty. You would only loose the one key recovery feature. If you are keen on resizing and making new partition, then you would want to make recovery disk of initial backup before doing any partition work. You would be able to return to the factory os using th disks. And for resizing partitions you might want to use third party partitioning software.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Bit Torrent
ishaan

Installing new os wont void warranty as well. For creating new partition you might use windows installtion only.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Paper Tape
agilani

so you are saying i am stuck with the 4 partitions and the money i invested in the extended warranty is gone to drain....
Bit Torrent
ishaan

[ Edited ]

I didnt get you at this point. What you are trying to say is that you brought extended warranty for partitions?And if you have warranty the only concession you get is that you might get the hdd loaded with okkr and new factory os for free.

Bit Torrent
indest

Even if you delete all partitions, you will have full warreny. However, should you return your computer for warrenty, your data will most likely be lost since the tech reserves the right to recreate the partitions and format your HDD to factory settings. If you leave all partitions there, they must preserve all data to the best of their abilities. However, should the HDD require reformat, there is no retribution for lost data.

In short, deleting partitions will decrease the chance of you keeping your data should you need to go through warrenty.  However, there is no security that when you recieve the laptop, your data will still be there even if you don't delete the partitions.

----------------------------------------------
Computers: Yoga 2 Pro: i7, 256 gb SSD, 8gb RAM, Intel 7260 Dual Band AC + BT 4.0 // Ideapad z570: i7, 750 HDD, 120 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Centrino Wireless N-1000 + BT // Yoga Patch Download: Click Here // Yoga Patch Details: Click Here // Yoga 2 Pro BIOS Approved WiFi Cards
Paper Tape
agilani

Ok let me elaborate on my question

If I manipulate with the partitions of my z580 laptop, will it void the warranty.
I am not worried about the data as i keep everything backed up
I need to make a new partition on laptop to dual boot win7 and win8.
I purchased the extended warranty which covers the whole laptop.

Thanks by the way for answering my questions.
Bit Torrent
ishaan

As said before, changing partition sizes and creating new partitions wont void warranty. Nor would installing new os do.
Paper Tape
agilani

thats great...

thanks for clearing this up for me...

anyway, i have made backup cds using one key recovery tool...

i have made a copy of the drivers and softwares which were on the d drive...