Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

Accidentally Deleted One Key Recover Software

I recently purchased a Y560p with a 750gb HDD and was going through uninstalling a bunch of the lenovo fluffware that comes installed with it.  I went through them one by one and then got to Lenovo One Key Recovery and uninstalled it....

I was then about to update my 750gb HDD to an Intel 120gb SSD, and looked at the partitions on my HDD and noted there are several (I doing this from memory as I'm at work right now):

1.  C:\ Storage (about 20GB used of 680GB

2.  D:\ Lenovo Drivers (about 5GB used of 30GB - after I uninstalled the above)

3.  An unnamed partition (approx 20GB)

4.  An another unamed partition small one.

My questions are:

1. Is it a problem that I've deleted OKR?

2. Can I get a copy of OKR and install is again and everything will be fine?

4. Is the OKR partition essentially useless now and can I delete it?

3. If I try to use the Intel Data Migration Software to transfer data to the SSD, should I delete/resize any of the partitions.

4. Can I reduce the size of the D:\ to increase the size of the C:\?  And how would I go about doing this?

Cheers,

Ricky.

Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

Re: Accidentally Deleted One Key Recover Software

PS. Will OKR work with the SSD? As I've read that the Intel Data Migration Software (Acronis) will automatically resize the partitions before writing to the SSD.
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 349
Solutions: 234

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ge/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=611900

Hi Ricky,

I don't suppose you burned a set of recovery discs before you started deleting stuff?

Why not reinstall OKR and do a recovery and see if it still works.  Then burn a set of recovery discs. Then install your SSD and use the recovery discs to put the OS on the SSD.  Then go about resizing your partitions, or delete them.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-series-Netbooks/How-to-Create-Factory-Disc-with-One-Key-Recove...

That way if something gets screwed up, you'll at least have the discs.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

Sounds like a good plan. Any idea if it will work?

Also, how do I go about resizing partitions? And will that impact OKR?
Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

[ Edited ]

Also, are there any potential dangers with trying to do a recovery and it not working?

Or, can I just delete the OKR partition, and be done with it for ever.  Then just use the Windows 7 Backup thing if I ever need to create backup disks?

topmahof

[ Edited ]

As long as the two Lenovo partitions haven't been messed with, then I would say that installing OKR should work. If OKR doesn't work right, I'm pretty sure that it just won't complete, it shouldn't change anything. I say "shouldn't". 

To be safe, after you install OKR, you could try to burn recovery discs. Burn the factory image.  If they burn okay, then try to do a recovery using OKR.  

Once you resize partitions or use a different size hard drive OKR won't work anymore, but you would have the discs. Once the OS is on the SSD, you could use DiscPart or Partition Manager to resize or delete the extra partitions. There's no sense in installing OKR onto the SSD because it won't work anyway.  

If none of this works, then you could make an image of the OS using Acronis or something.  I would make a copy of the drivers that are on D: so a reinstall would be easier just in case you ever wanted to do a clean install with a vanilla Windows 7 image. Or you could always call service and get a set of  recovery discs.

I'm pretty sure that once you install OKR that the recovery will work again.  

Dave

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

Thanks Dave.

Or, can I just delete the OKR partition, and be done with it for ever.  Then just use Acronis to do the SSD transfer, and then use the Windows 7 Backup thing if I ever need to create backup disks?

topmahof

Yeh, you can do that.  You probably should do the Windows backup thing anyway, that would save an image and also give you the system repair disc.  You'll need that anyway to boot from.  

Check my post above again. I added a few things to it after I posted it.

Dave

Fanfold Paper
Ricky_Ponting

OK. So when I get home tonight I'm going to:

1. Delete the OKR partition on the HDD.

2. Run a disk cleanup on the HDD.

3. Run a disk defrag on the HDD.

4. Use Intel Data Migration Software to transfer an image of the HDD to the SSD.

5. Take out the HDD.

6. Install the SSD.

7. Cross Fingers.

8. Press on and hope it runs.

9. Success!

10. Make all the little system changes (turn off defrag, turn of indexing, etc.)

11. Manage/adjust partitions on the SSD once the intel (acronis) software has moved them around during the migration.

One last question.  I've read about switching to AHCI from IDE, but will I need to do this on a new y560p (i7 2630qm) or will it already be switched on?

topmahof

[ Edited ]

It should already be on in the bios.  It should just say SATA  and the choices are to enable or disable it.  You can make sure that it is enabled, but it should already be enabled.   (SATA is AHCI)

Edit:  Good luck