Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
yangsterss
Accepted Solution

Black Borders on both sides of screen when using fullscreen games/applications(y460)

There is always a black border on both sides of my screen while having full screen games running. (which means it shrinked  the resulution of the program). 

I have tried updating the intel driver for Y460 from lenovo support and it works, however the ATI switchable graphic option is unable to launch after the installation of the updated driver. 

I have system restore it back to the original, whereby im facing the black borders again. Anyone have the solution to this? 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
yangsterss

Re: Black Borders on both sides of screen when using fullscreen games/applications(y460)

Anyone? =(

802.11n
kaiyo

Re: Black Borders on both sides of screen when using fullscreen games/applications(y460)

maybe the game/application is not widescreen?

Serial Port
seeker_moc

Did you try adjusting the resolution in the in-game settings menu?  If it's a really old game (pre-2005) it may not have widescreen capability.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
yangsterss

But they are all running well on my the other laptop(windows xp) with the same screen resolution.

Serial Port
seeker_moc

[ Edited ]

What resolution is the game set at?  Look in the game's settings menu and let us know what it says.  Make sure you adjust it to a widescreen (16:9) resolution.

Regarding your other laptop, some (like your Y460) will keep the original aspect ratio when playing games, meaning if you're playing a game with the resolution setting of a 4:3 (old fullscreen) monitor, it will display a 4:3 picture on your widescreen monitor with the black borders on both sides.  Other computers (like your old laptop) will artifically stretch the image to fill the screen.  Neither is 'right' or 'wrong' it's just a different way of handling the issue.  Usually, you can adjust this in the videocard's drivers menu, like CCC for an ATI card or the Nvidia Control Panel.  Either way, setting the resolution to a widescreen one in the game's menu is the best way to fix this.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
yangsterss

My games resolutions are set at 1024x768. Is there a way to stretch the screen?

here are my ccc/intel graphic options

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/yangsterss/desktopdisplay.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/yangsterss/Untitled222.png[/IMG]

Serial Port
seeker_moc

That's why then, 1024*768 is a 4:3 resolution.  Is there no way to change the resolution to 1366*768 or maybe 1280*800 in the game itself?  That'd be the best fix.  If not, on the intel screen shot you cange the pull-down menu "scaling" to "stretch" or something like that.  I don't have intel graphics in mine, so I don't know what all the options are.  That probably won't do you any good though, as you should be running all games with the ATI 5650 switched on.

As far as the ATI CCC goes, look for an option like "aspect" or "scaling" and adjust it there.  I didn't see that option in your screenshots, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.  My laptop with ATI graphics is in the warranty center being repaired, so I can't look to see actually where the option for it is.  Probably either under "3d" or "desktop" but you'll have to look around for it.  The laptop I'm using right now has Nvidia, and it has an option labled "scaling" in the "desktop size and position" menu.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
yangsterss

Theres no options for my games (wc3) to change to 1366*768 or 1280*800. The scaling option only has main aspect ratio, full screen, center screen. 

Serial Port
seeker_moc

Try "main aspect ratio"  if that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.