Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
rfkmsr

C: Drive Partition Too Small?

I've just purchased the Y510 and noticed that the C:\ drive partition is only 30gb while the D: drive is about 188gb. Before I start installing my applications is there a way to allocate more gb to the C:\ drive so that I dont run out of space for my apps?
Thanks,
ron
Punch Card
wernst

Re: C: Drive Partition Too Small?

I agree that 30GB seems a tad small. When I redid my drive, I made the XP partition 30GB and the Vista partition 40GB.

You can use Gparted to do it. There's a bootable CD that contains gparted over at http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

It is also on the CD they offer at: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

You'll have to delete the empty data partition and stretch the Vista partition to the size you want, then make a new data partition.

Note that if you use the "Novo" restore function, I have no idea what will happen to the partition size.

-Warr
Punch Card
Solfire

[ Edited ]
Instead of creating another drive, what are the steps to partition the drives so that they are reversed?

I'm sorry if this was already answered in what you typed above. I just need a little clarification is all!

Thanks!

Message Edited by Solfire on 02-24-2008 10:21 PM
Punch Card
benmark

i agree, it too small. i repartition my drive to about half each.

There are software to help you re partition.
If not u can just boot from that window cd, and extend your drive c, however after you change that, u cant use that nova thing.
Punch Card
Solfire

I've tried downloading the GParted Linux Live CD, it doesn't seem to be mounting properly on my Alcohol 120%. I've also tried burning the ISO image onto a CD. Either way, it isn't autorunning. Rather, it just opens the containing folders for me to explore.
Punch Card
wernst

The Gparted CD is a BOOTABLE cd. Once you burn the ISO to a CD, reboot with the CD in the drive and set your BIOS to boot from it.

Then you're good to go.

-Warr
Punch Card
Solfire

OH okay! Thanks!
Serial Port
alan93

I agree I bout freaked when I saw I only had 10 gig left on my c:\ drive!
The reason this is so idiotic is that they put all your personal document folders for music videos etc. on the c:\.

I guess I can get it changed using Partition Magic, but what a pain. This should have been done right from the factory.

I just got mine yesterday and really like it though I had a network detection issue today. Had to keep reconnecting to my network. Hope this isn't a continuing problem.

Punch Card
Solfire

I experienced that as well. It stopped for me after a day or two.
Punch Card
Solfire

Alright guys, I actually just got off the phone with consumer support. Basically, using GParted or any of those programs to mess with your partition is a bad thing. There's a hidden partition that's used in accordance with your "Novo" button. If the partition is changed, that hidden partition is changed aswell. Apparently if you mess with it, it disables the proper use of your "Novo" button, of which I prefer not to do.

Hope this helps!

I know there was something mentioned earlier about disabling your "Novo" button in this thread, I didn't bother to recheck before I posted this, so I'm sorry if this will be a repeat.