Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Orzech

Re: Changing Default Energy Management Options...

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have selected "Don't show this again" on suggested battery mode popup (the one shown just after logging in) in hope it will force "Optimize for battery Health" mode, but it didn't (Y570 Win 7 HP 64-bit with Energy Management 6.0.2.0). How to enable this popup back again?

Regards.

Paper Tape
antevans

I have exactly this issue on a newish B575 and it's pretty annoying. 

It is obviously just a bug, but it's not easy to say where in the stack. The drivers work fine in the sense that the battery doesn't charge past 50% in 'battery health' mode. But the setting doesn't stick.

By the way, 50% is a pretty extreme choice. Fujitsu use 80%.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hello All,

Engineering's explaination for this software as follows.

Firstly, this behavior is working as designed after clarifying. 'Best Battery Health' mode is to protect battery life if customer always insert the AC adapter.

The design logic is: 
1. Battery have the longest storage life if keep the capacity around 40%-50%. 
2. If the customer always insert AC adapter during using (or most of the time), they can choose this mode, and system will keep the battery capacity between 46%-50% for the best storage condition. 
3. Once the customer displug the AC adapter and battery capacity drop to 40%, system will detect that using condition is not comfortable for 'Best Battery Health', and change the working mode to 'Optimize...' mode, which could let customer charge the battery to 100% for better moving working/using. 

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

Well if this is the way the feature was designed to work, then Lenovo should clearly explain how it works in their User's Guide, including the fact that it automatically resets to Optimize for Battery Runtime when battery capcacity dips below 40%.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@mvrk2011,

Yeah, they will revise this in the upcoming update of Energy Management.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
descrambler

@JamesZ

Are they just going to change the manual wording and explain that this is how it works and if you don't like it too bad?

OR

Are the going to update power mangement so that the settings stick and do not revert unless the user specify to revert?

Retired Employee
JameZ

@descrambler,

The Lenovo EM would still change as when the battery capacity drop below the recommended "Best for battery" life then it is no longer considered best for battery.

//JameZ

Paper Tape
antevans

Lenovo should be applauded for trying to bring this feature to mainstream laptops. Old batteries that have been underused, but cooked, are an unnecessary evil. But I think I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that the 'by design' behaviour Jamez is describing is not what we users want. In normal use this 'smart' behaviour just means the system reverts to standard battery charge mode. That makes it a non-feature.

Anyone at Lenovo who doubts this should try a Fujitsu Lifebook. On one of those, you set and forget. The thing never charges above 80%. The End. That's what we want.

P.S. What kills Li-Ion is heat. You can achieve the same effect by only using your laptop in the fridge.

Paper Tape
zdzz

While I like the smart behaviour option sometimes, being unable to turn off its automation is solely whats responsible for the battery charging to 100%. If you would be so kind as to include perhaps a checkbox that overrides (read: disables) the smart change, I'm sure many people would be grateful. Thanks! 

802.11n
Sfairat

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, because of this "smart" behaviour this, in general, really important and useful feature becomes completely useless. For example, I gave up on it because sometimes I forgot to turn this feature on after it had been automatically disabled, which led to charging battery up to 100% and, after I set this setting to max battery life, it discharged battery back to 50%, and these charges-discharges, I think, are worse for battery health than constant full charge.
Also, in my case, even that "smart" feature behaves incorrectly and it ALWAYS switches to maximal battery charge.
As I said before, I think that this feature, if implemented properly, would be really great.
Here are some suggestions for the engineering team how to improve it: they should allow user to pick the maximal charge level(with minimal value ~50%) and(optional) the charge level, at which battery life mode will return to optimized lifetime(in the other words, it'll make current "smart" behaviour customizable).
Also it would be great if this feature worked not only in windows, but in any OS you load(even if you can enable it only with windows).
I don't think that behaviour I described is hard to implement for engineering team, I also think that being implemented in the way I've described, it would be much more useful than it is now, so I hope someone will escalate this to engineering.