Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
whiteseal

Re: Changing Default Energy Management Options...

I think the biggest problem is that it swaps back to runtime when the laptop is turned off. This effectively renders the tool useless to promote battery health since it will charge to 100% if kept plugged after shutdown. (The only benefit to keeping it at 50% is for storage purposes.)

If the battery Lenovo uses has a healthy storage level of 40-50%, you should be able to lock the best battery health setting in place until the user wishes to change it. I say this because it takes a pretty long time for an Li-Ion battery to discharge 10% on its own when the computer is shutdown. 

I don't understand the engineering argument that it's supposed to swap back to optimize when it dips below 40%. It would take days for a 50% charge to degrade that much in a turned off laptop. My laptop always switches back to the optimize runtime setting, even if only turned off for a few minutes. This leads me to believe that this feature doesn't work.  If this feature worked as intended, I think it would be ok. 

specs: Y570 

Fanfold Paper
dred

can i use/install the energy management of Y series to my Z360 laptop?

Blue Screen Again
waltito30

[ Edited ]

Jamez, I don't know if my opinion is very valuable, but it makes no harm so I am giving it anyway.

In my opinion, the behaviour should be this:

There should be a configuration ption called Battery health managament (or similar).

This should have two modes:

• manual and
  • automatic.(default).

Manual mode 

If the user chooses the manual mode, then she will be given two options:

• Max battery lifetime, and
  •  Max battery runtime.

Once chosen it won't revert automatically. It is up to the user whether she wants to one option or the other. If she eventually has to use the computer unpluged from the power line for a long time, she could allways revert the option manually and have the battery fully charged.

Automatic mode 

If on the other hand the user chooses the automatic mode, there should be a really smart mechanism.

This smart mechanism should keep track of the ratio:

"Time of usage pluged to the power line" over "total time of usage".

If  this ratio is more than a given value, then the system limits the charge of the battery to, say, 50%.

If it is below some other value it removes the limit. (there should be a gap between these reference ratios in order to avoid switching permanently from one setting to the other).

For example, if the amount of time the user uses the computer pluged to the power socket is over 60% of the total usage time, battery lifetime is preserved limiting the battery charge to 50% when plugged ("Max battery lifetime" mode). This option should be kept until the ratio goes down to, e.g., 40%. At that point it switches to "Max battery runtime" mode allowing the battery to fully charge next time it is plugged to the network. The limitation on battery charge won't be removed until the ratio goes over 60% again.

Note that the trigger points reffer to usage time ratios and not to battery charge percentage. The values of the trigger points are just examples. And maybe some other strategy should be used in the automatic mechanism, this is my first shot, but lenovo engineers can surely design a better one.

The initial condition should be "Max battery runtime", and this should be kept for e.g: 10 hours of use in order to allow the user to fully charge the battery on the first use, and to give chance to the mechanism to collect usage statistics befor making the decision of changing the behaviour based on usage ratio.

Hope this would help. And thank you for your help.

Paper Tape
Orzech

Automatic mode change seems to be disabled in v2.06 BIOS for Y570 available on http://consumersupport.lenovo.com.

Thanks, Lenovo! :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
shlhu

[ Edited ]

Hmmm... but my issue is that even if I stay in range, it would still change to "optimze..." after waking from hibernate, which can't be part of the design too?

Fanfold Paper
shlhu

Stop marking this the solution, this isn't solved...

Like I said, it isn't working. Regarless whether I'm in the range, if my computer turns off (or hibernates), it switches back, which is irritating beyong belief at this point, will you please tell the engineers to do something about it...

Retired Employee
JameZ

@shlhu,

Appreciate if you can let me know at which level the battery is in when it switches? Or it even switch even when the battery is fully charged?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

802.11n
Sfairat

[ Edited ]

shlu, I don't know if you already have it, so I'll advice you to install the bios version available on the website. I flashed it nearly a month ago, and since then the problem with energy management was gone and everything works as suggested by Jamez (it switches at 40%).
By the way, Jamez, why did Lenovo published 2.06 bios version on the website (which fixed at least this problem) only in late november, while it was available on newer laptops since the middle of summer, and we (users) were told that it wasn't the newer version, but typographic error?

What's DOS?
dgaranin

I have read this thread and I feel like an absolute idiot.

On my Y570, I cannot access Lenovo power management at all, although it is installed on my computer. Any advice on how to run this program?

Dmitry

Paper Tape
jbi234

[ Edited ]

On my V570 it is under All Programs | Lenovo | Energy Management | Power management options.  Just type Power in the"Search programs and files" box that you get when you click on the windows button in the lower left.

Of course on the Y570 it might be different.

On my machine I copied a shortcut into the Startup folder so that it starts up whenever I login.  I just leave it running so that I can see what it is set to when I'm going to shut down and if it has flipped over to "Optimize for battery runtime" at some point I can set it back.

Since the "Best battery health" only charges to 50% and it flips to "Optimize for battery runtime" at 40%, you do not have to be running on battery very long for the flip to occur.