Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Viksa

Y560 i5 vs. i7 (vs. ASUS)

Hi guys,

I am thinking between the two Y560 models. Both come with an Ati 5730, 4GB of ram and HDD @ 7200rpm and the price difference between the i5 and i7 model is 130 Euro (729 and 859 Euro).

The intensive task I will use the notebook for will be gaming and here are my questions:

-How much extra noise/heat will the i7 generate?

-Will I actually feel the extra kick while gaming?

-In your opinion, is it worth the extra money?

-Last, but not least, what happened with these crappy display/ants/giant cursor issues?! Can I expect to get the same crappy display if I order it in Germany? Will the BIOS be the fixed version?

Im seriously thinking between the two Y560 models and an RoG ASUS so please share your opinion!

SCSI Port
Dollmaker

Re: Y560 i5 vs. i7 (vs. ASUS)

[ Edited ]

-How much extra noise/heat will the i7 generate?

There is no noise at all in i7 model.. it heats up only when playing high end games :smileyhappy: Not a big issue..

-Will I actually feel the extra kick while gaming?

Yes.. 8 cores rock :smileyhappy:

-In your opinion, is it worth the extra money?

Yes!

-Last, but not least, what happened with these crappy display/ants/giant cursor issues?! Can I expect to get the same crappy display if I order it in Germany? Will the BIOS be the fixed version?

I did not update my bios.. no one should do it.. it result in terrible gredient issue..  Aunt problem is there if u look at it from specific angle.. I took care of it by re-activating crystal control.. Now it s good for me :smileyhappy:

Im seriously thinking between the two Y560 models and an RoG ASUS so please share your opinion!

Y560 is cheaper then Asus.. They issue discount codes time to time.. check out deals2buy.com ..  You should go for Asus :smileywink: Even though its bit expensive..

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Viksa

Re: Y560 i5 vs. i7 (vs. ASUS)

Thanks Dollmaker,

the configurations Im looking into are the following:

Lenovo's: 
i7 720QM / i5 450M 
ATI HD 5730 
4GB ram 
No OS 
Price: 859 Euro / 729 Euro

ASUS 
i5 430M 
Geforce GTS 360M 
4 GB ram 
Win 7 
Price: 929 Euro 

So, if I include the Win 7 price to the Lenovo deal I will be getting the i7 Lenovo for the same price as the i5 ASUS (though the ASUS seems to have a better GPU).

Would you still recommend the ASUS mentioned above?

thanks!

What's DOS?
Photomotoz

Considering buying a Y560 0646-54U

I found a pretty decent deal on a Y560 0646-54U, and I was hoping to hear some opinions about it. And yes, I realize I will be hearing the opinions of people who most likely have problems in the first place.

Now, the specs look pretty good but I am reading about a bunch of issues around here. Some appear to be simply resolved by adjusting some settings or not using the stock drivers. Others are a bit more serious but seem to be repaired by BIOS updates. And of course there seem to be a couple that are still present. 

So, how serious are the remaining issues and is it know if steps were taken over the past couple of months, in regards to new laptops, to remedy these issues? Because I know that the latest downloadable updates are actually sometimes a downgrade and I think I recall seeing some newer units come with "newer" BIOSes. 

And I am also curious about the support that has been provided thus far. I always saw Lenovo as a pretty reputable company but it seems as though some issues have simply been ignored. For example, no one from Lenovo has posted in the "New discussion Y560 display issues" thread for a long, long time. 

Is it worth buying one of these? Assume I will have a 1 year warranty, or possibly 2 year. Are the issues that detrimental and is the support as bad as it seems?