Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
mikepasta

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

Skripatch: Thanks for the info!

Mikhail: You da man!!!! :smileyvery-happy::robotvery-happy::manvery-happy::womanvery-happy: ...and the crowd goes wild!
Beer... It does a body good!
Retired Guru
skripatch

mikepasta - you're welcome :robotwink:

Mikhail - thanks for useful info! Croud's really going mad! :robotvery-happy:
//help will save the world
Paper Tape
apiwatw08

"The C drive should NOT be resized otherwise your OneKey recovery may no longer operate."

Does this mean that programs and softwares should not be installed on Drive C?

Paper Tape
yungsters

I have the IdeaPad U110, and my C drive is 67.8GB while my D drive is 27.1GB. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?

What can I do to make D drive bigger to fit my files while still making the Novo button work?
Fanfold Paper
mcfaddenator

Couldn't you just use Daemon Tools to call the partition drive D, and the "stuff" drive C? Or would Novo not like that?
Serial Port
mikepasta

[ Edited ]

yungsters wrote:
I have the IdeaPad U110, and my C drive is 67.8GB while my D drive is 27.1GB. Isn't there something wrong with that picture?

What can I do to make D drive bigger to fit my files while still making the Novo button work?

First: Just curious... How big is your physical drive? The numbers you stated show a HDD of around 120 GB (including the hidden partition). I thought it would be at least 160!

Second: I think you are actually lucky to have the configuration you have. The trend, it seems, is that most people have a much smaller C drive than the D. If you have read through this entire post, you can understand the havoc that this has created for some, including myself. I personally would recommend leaving your config alone and using a USB host powered external HDD for your larger files that you don't use as frequently. You can find a 320 GBB drive for around $129! If you really don't care about the OneKey Recovery feature, go ahead and change your C drive. Here's a couple links to check out: http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista/  or http://lifehacker.com/software/vista/screenshot-tour--repartition-your-hard-drive-in-windows-vista-2...
This is assuming you are using Vista, of course!

HTH

Message Edited by mikepasta on 05-24-2008 12:58 PM
Retired Guru
skripatch

apiwatw08, C must not be resized means C is 30 Gb and you mustn't change it's size. It's not about the amount of data or free space on it, it's about it's size.
Let me explain how NOVA works.
1)It checks if there's enough large C partition to write in.
2)It formats the partition.
3)It writes data from image on hidden partition into drive C.

So, as you see, no chance for anything on C to survive. Using NOVA is like reinstalling your system. Many applications need not only files on HDD to run correct, but also registry keys, which are deleted during NOVA. So, it's totally useless to install applications on drive D - i ncase of reinstall or NOVA recovery the registry is also replaced and applications will not work.
Serial Port
mikepasta

skripatch,

It sounds like he is saying his C drive is already 67.8 GB and his D drive is already 27.1 GB. When I called Lenovo about the partition issue, along with the sound image issue 3 months ago, they said they were going to change the default partition sizes. It sounds like they may have started.
Retired Guru
skripatch

Mikepasta, if so, we're in trouble - such partitioning is useless...
Paper Tape
apiwatw08

Thank you for your insight Skripatch.
So would it be better for common users like me to install programs to Drive C and save all personal data and installers on Drive D (to install them again to Drive C after using the NOVO button), and also relocate the Temporary File to Drive D? If not, could you please give me some suggestions on how you deal with this partition (so called problem).
Thanks again.