Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
st-radiguns

Displays white screen during sleep and when the display is turned off

[ Edited ]

Well this is an odd problem. When my laptop turns the display off, instead of the black screen, it is now displaying a white screen. I find this rather odd. Also, when the computer goes to sleep the screen is white, instead of black or just off. 

What's going on?

EDIT: I am on a Y550P

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Displays white screen during sleep and when the display is turned off

weird.

i used to hear blue screen, black screen issue but this is first. :smileyhappy:

i'm not sure it'll help but try to update or re-install your graphic card drivers.

still issue persists, i can say you're having the issue with screen or graphic card.

contact lenovo support line cause issue may be serious.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
What's DOS?
lal_tx

Same exact thing for me. Happened only today. Immediate fix:  disconnect the power supply and pull the battery.

Fixed mine...for the moment.  Also had 2 "updates" auto installed (stopped that stuff) today and then the white screen. Dont have a clue if they are related. Waiting for next occurance...then to Lenovo Support.

Community Moderator
yigit

@ lal_tx

have you installed windows update recently before the issue happens?

Punch Card
raybonr

Backlight stays on, after powered off.

I could not find another post about this...

Anyway I have a new y550p. I noticed that every now and then, maybe 6 times in the last month, after I do a normal shut down the backlight stays on. The only thing I can think to do at that point is to pull the battery, which works. I suspected that it had something to do with the movie mode that you can turn on and off at the touch of a built in button. When movie mode is on, the screen lights up more and the subwoofer kicks on. However I've had the back light stay on with movie mode on and off when shutting down.

Any ideas what I can try to fix this?

Thanks!

Punch Card
raybonr

Re: Backlight stays on, after powered off.

I suppose I should clarify what I mean by backlight.

the system is completely off, but the screen is white, bright enough to light up a dark room.

I'm on Win7 64bit

I've owned it for a little over a month.

Community Moderator
yigit

after shutting off computer, remove the battery and check if you see any difference.

Serial Port
kashing92

Hi there. I'm having THE EXACT same problem as you.

My Y550P is 9 days old (it got replaced because the other couldn't be repaired after 3 attempts at repairs over a month of time).

This problem you've just described is 100% report of my problem. I've had this twice in 2 days.

After using it, blah blah, the screen goes FULLY WHITE and is very bright when it's in off mode. I mean the settings will "Turn Off Display" after "15mins" or the time you specify right? It's supposed to go off (which it did before). But no, it goes white. And when I try to switch off display (Fn + F2 keys) nothing happens, screen stays on (although the screen indicates the Display Off icon, and I see this cause the screen will go back to normal when u hit the keys or move the mouse like normal).

Then, like yours, when I shut down the PC, the screen stays Brilliant WHITE completely (all keyboard lights, everything, are all off, the PC has shut down, fan stopped etc). Only if I cut the power (AC adapter) or battery will the screen go dark and off.

How to fix this please or must I make my 200th call to the Service Center.

Thanks.

Punch Card
raybonr

Thank Goodness! I was beginning to fear that i was the only one having this problem. To the other guy, yes after powered down, pulling the battery will turn the white screen off, and putting the battery back in does not bring it back on.  

Serial Port
kashing92

Yup, when you cut off either the AC or battery power supply, it will go off like it's supposed to when you shut down and when it auto-shuts-display or when you hit (Fn+F2).

Is there any resolution to this problem? This is a February batch of Y550P (some people have the 2009 batch, some the Jan 2010 or BlueScreen batch).

Thank you.