Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
alan93

General Issues on Y510

Day 4 and still no solution to c:\ being too small to work with. Everyone I tell about this is perplexed at the "backwwards" partition of this thing right out of the box. I'm dreading having to wipe hard drive , format, partition and re-install everything to have a useable laptop.

Besides that.

1. I noticed the wireless network drops frequently. Since I never had this problem I had to click about 50 times through the myriad of Vista screens tryign to figure out how to manually connect it again. Wondering why this one is having trouble when my 6 year old Dell with a D-link card never had any problems.

2. Overheated in Hibernation !
 I set the power settings to have it hibernate when the lid was closed. Thought it was ok to put in case still plugged in as I did this with old Dell to keep dust off of it. The next moring it was running hot with fan on!! It wouldn't start, obviously overheated, but when it did finally it was still in hibernation!! What is the deal with this? I used to do this with my old Dell all the time and it stayed hibernated (inactive) until you opened the lid. This one, when you open the lid, it doesn't start right away you still have to hit the power button to start it. ? Not sure if this is a Vista issue or not.

3. When starting from locked, Veriface is no longer active and you have to type in login manually, not sure why.

4. Couldn't get cam to work with older webcam program. Its obviously not VFW compliant which is an older windows cam format.
   I plugged a usb webcam in and it worked though.

Any comments or help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Punch Card
Solfire

Re: General Issues on Y510

I actually had some wireless issues a few days into having my laptop, that lasted for a couple of days, and it finally stabalized. I probably only experienced very brief wireless drops since then.
Punch Card
wernst

You can use a Gparted bootable CD to delete the 188GB partition, then increase the size of the 30GB to whatever you want, and then fill the remainder of the empty space with anothe data partition. This is a free program, and it works great, and has been mentioned dozens of times on the forum already, it seems.

I'm not noticing any drops in wireless, but I use XP 99% of the time. In Vista, going into Sleep mode can really screw up wifi connectivity. Is it going into sleep mode?

I played with Veriface for all of about 20 minutes before deciding I wouldn't reinstall it when deleting the hard drive and cleanly installing XP and Vista. It seemed slow and laborious to me...

-Warr
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

How about if you moved your "My Documents" folder to the "D" drive. That is where most of the storage takes place anyway.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Serial Port
djonepl

Or you could always get rid off vista, thats what i did and only problem that i have at the moment is the multimedia buttons controled only by WMP and the hot key brightness beside those 2 everything is perfect :-D
Serial Port
alan93

"I actually had some wireless issues a few days into having my laptop, that lasted for a couple of days, and it finally stabalized. I probably only experienced very brief wireless drops since then."

Yea I did a diagnose and repair with Vista tool and chose 2nd option (Don't remember which) and it seems to work. But still noticing that when laptop is in basement and only 15 feet away from wireless router the signal strength goes down considerably unlike my dinosaur dell and D-Link card which worked great for range.

"You can use a Gparted bootable CD to delete the 188GB partition, then increase the size of the 30GB to whatever you want
"
Sorry Wernst, WRONG!!! IT doesn't work , already tried it, it only allows you to shrink the 30 gig. It appears that he 30 gig part was set up using another another partion program. Also tried Vista Computer management paritition tool but same problem.
Unless you can write up the exact steps to get it to succeed, nobody needs to waste their time with that.

"How about if you moved your "My Documents" folder to the "D" drive. That is where most of the storage takes place anyway."

Moving My Documents to D:\ is an option but I just like not having to redirect traffic for everything that wants to go to the c:\

Getting rid of Vista isn't an option for me as I'm a software developer and need it to test programs on. I understand there is virtual PC and methods but would like it to be primary to get full effect of all its weirdness so I can get programs to handle it.

At this point I might just image what I got, wipe it and reinstall image to a single partition. The saga continues.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Punch Card
wernst

Alan,

regarding: "Sorry Wernst, WRONG!!! IT doesn't work , already tried it, it only allows you to shrink the 30 gig. It appears that he 30 gig part was set up using another another partion program. Also tried Vista Computer management paritition tool but same problem."

All I can tell you is that if it isn't working, you are doing something wrong.

I say this because I ALREADY DID IT on my Y510 when I first got it, knowing I would be telling clients to do the same thing and wanting to make sure it worked.

Before blowing away the hard drive and the restoration partition, I ran Gparted from a bootable disk and deleted the Logical drive, THEN DELETED THE EXTENDED PARTITION that was storing the logical drive, then executed the tasks. Then just to for fun, I restarted the Gparted disc again, and then extended the C partition another 50GB.

I'm guessing you just deleted the logical drive but didn't delete the Extended Partition.

Check it out and get back to us.

FYI: I currently have the following setup:

1 Primary Partition of 256 MB (thats Megabytes, not GB) DOS and Ghost 2003 lives there, as do the boot managers.

1 Extended Partition that contains the whole rest of the hard drive - about 250GB

Within the Extended Partition is the following Logical Drives:

1 WinXP, set as the E Drive. 30GB. Needless to say, all software can happily function on a windows drive that isn't C:\.

1 Vista, set as the F drive. 37GB. When booting into Vista, this turns into the C drive, due to Vista's magic voodoo.

1 DATA, set as the G drive, at 154GB in XP, and I think E under Vista. The MyDocuments folder has been moved to this drive. All software that works with the MyDocuments folder automatically puts their stuff on this drive. Ghost images also live here, as does any and all data, and my email store. Because it is a seperate partition, all the same data is available to me whether I run XP, Vista, or Linux.

2 Linux partitions (1 formatted ext3 at around 11GB, and 1 formatted SWAP at around 1GB) running Ubuntu.

I used Gparted to set this up, BTW, so it definately works.

-Warr
Punch Card
Solfire

So is your Novo button still usable for initiating a system recovery?

I've been thinking about changing partitions with GParted, I've just been very hesitant because I honestly have no clue what I would be doing with the software.

Punch Card
wernst

No, the Novo button doesn't work for system recovery, since I deleted the recovery partition too. The last thing I wanted was to be restored to the default Vista loadout.

Pressing it when the machine is off starts up the recovery tool, but it can't locate any recovery data, and then shuts the machine down. The Novo button still works to switch EnergyCut modes within windows.

-Warr
Punch Card
Solfire

Sweet, that pretty much solves the risk of it being stolen and then restored to default for Ebay.